What shells would you recommend?

Mexican Squealer

Depends on how you're hunting. In the woods I shoot 2 3/4" 7's, in the fields I use 2 3/4" 4's and sometimes 3" 4's. Any cheap load is just as good as the best, dead is dead. Xperts will get the job done every time. Also, no steel load will EVER be as good as lead #4's.

Xperts...:rofl:

Uptonongood

The better question is which choke do you use for which brand and shot size of shell? Most folks don't do it but, as mentioned by Long Cut above, take a couple of hours and pattern your gun with several chokes, several brands/shot sizes, as 30 yards and 40 yards.

Just because other's say they kill tons of ducks with such and such shell, load and shot size doesn't mean it will shoot well in your gun. In all of the posts so far, I noticed that only DrBugman85 mentioned which choke he was using.

You can shoot the best money can buy and they still won’t kill a thing. Go buy a box of cheap shells and murder everything that flys by. You got to shoot what works in your gun. You can have two guns exactly the same model , choke and barrel length. One will shoot well with one shell and one won’t.

DRBugman85

Does anybody pattern a shotgun anymore?
Yes sir,before the hunting season arrives I check the weapons and chokes,shells. I make sure my chokes are not SHOT OUT by shooting steel shot. I've change the choke if it leaves holes in the pattern. Improved cylinder has always been my favorite with Winchester drylok Supreme in my Remington 870 special purpose that's a 40 years old and has never failed me yet.:flag:

hrstille

Going to Arkansas after Christmas. Will be shooting #2's. What shells would you recommend or to stay away from?

Don't over think this. You're going to be shooting decoying birds. Probably inside of 30 yards. They will be easy to hit. You can kill them with pretty much any shell. Good luck out there

DRBugman85

Don't over think this. You're going to be shooting decoying birds. Probably inside of 30 yards. They will be easy to hit. You can kill them with pretty much any shell. Good luck out there
As Killer said go pattern your shotgun,I like the ducks I shoot to fall dead in the decoys and a little reach to 45 yards is not uncommon for seasoned ducks later after they have been shot at from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico. And a good shotgun shell can make a difference IMO. But I have been hunting duck for 55 years and I'm blind in my right eye and can't see much out of the other.:huh: A friend in Arkansas shoots a full choke for all waterfowl hunting and he's deadly with a shotgun and shoots a LOT of ducks. :flag:

DRBugman85

you can shoot the best money can buy and they still won’t kill a thing. Go buy a box of cheap shells and murder everything that flys by. You got to shoot what works in your gun. You can have two guns exactly the same model , choke and barrel length. One will shoot well with one shell and one won’t.
amen

The Flying Duckman

What Killer said, try different shells and different shot sizes to get the fit for your gun. Don't guess at the yardage, measure it off. I'm not much for shooting at paper then drawing a circle around the shot. I draw a 30" circle on a piece of card board, put a quarter sized dot in the middle, measure off 40 yards, and aim at the dot in the center, then see how many shot are out of the circle.
Then you can figure the % of shot in the circle, see the density of the pattern in relation to aim point, and see if the gun is shooting high, low, left, or right.

I personally shoot Federal 3" #3's and kill ducks and geese both with them inside the 40 yard range.