Crawfish for fishing?

Papa Bear

Wanting to try using live crawfish for spots on Lanier this spring. I know as a kid I caught a many wading in the creeks for some friends to use fishing. Thought about trying to trap a few or purchase a couple dozen. Never heard of any bait shops selling them? The cold weather had me inside watching Richard Gene the fishing machine on youtube killing some spots and LM on Weiss and Guntersville. If you have not watched his channel he is quite a character and darn good fisherman.

Shawn Holcombe

Ol Richard Gene is a hoot buddy! I grew up fishing lanier, I'm on Sinclair now but me and my buddies would use them from time to time when we could trap some in the creeks around that area and we always did pretty good with them spots and LM. Happy hooker bait shop in winder use to have them occasionally . trap some and try it :flag:

LTZ25

You can buy live crawfish at the big market in Decatur , I can't recall the name of it .

Browniez

Most of the time the large asian supermarkets have the in the duluth/pleasant hill area.

Assi mart super h mart etc. Fun experience going in there too. I enjoy seeing what fish they have. Usually a wide selection of whole fish priced well. Even live flounder usually.

littlejon

Any body remember buying spring lizards back in the day in Suwanee? Spots would absolutely kill them. :flag:

Gary Mercer

Spring Lizards are really great spot medicine in the Spring. I always figured the popularity of Spring Lizards on Lanier got Zoom to start making them.

Papa Bear

Thanks for ideas on the crawfish. I was invited bass fishing on Lanier back in 1979 for the first time with my buddies and thier dads and they introduced me to Spring Lizard fishing. They had a guy in Blue Ridge that would bring us a large Styrofoam cooler full for a weeks worth of fishing. I remember the old guys would grab all of the white bellied ones first which did make a difference I must say. Lots of fun with those guys every April for several years. I wish bait stores still sold them. I guess I have gone full circle and want to do a little live bait fishing again to bring back some old memories.

Shawn Holcombe

Papa if you was bass fishing lanier back then you probably know who my uncle is Junior Samples! He was on a little show called Hee Haw he did a lot of fishing on lanier back then. I talked to my buddy that lives by happy hooker bait shop in winder and he said last spring they had spring lizzards. Maybe they will this year. I always have the best times fishing when I keep it simple and get back to my roots!:flag:

Papa Bear

Shawn correct if I'm wrong but.....
I think Junior had a green Ranger boat if memory is correct. Saw him fishing a few times in 2 and 4 mile creek which we fished a lot back in the day.

ShoalBandit

If you plan on using crayfish as bait you definitely want to catch them from one of the streams flowing into the lake. Larger nonnative species commonly purchased for bait are invasive and are currently wiping out native species all across the southeast. Georgia has around 70 species of crayfish and ranks third nationally in crayfish diversity. Of those 70 species around 20 are found only in Georgia and listed as rare.

j_seph

Wanting to try using live crawfish for spots on Lanier this spring. I know as a kid I caught a many wading in the creeks for some friends to use fishing. Thought about trying to trap a few or purchase a couple dozen. Never heard of any bait shops selling them? The cold weather had me inside watching Richard Gene the fishing machine on youtube killing some spots and LM on Weiss and Guntersville. If you have not watched his channel he is quite a character and darn good fisherman.
Man at the memories, as I was a youngster from around 10 to 16 years old we owned some land in Tennessee. This was where all my family was from and we would go up there every other weekend. My mom and I would go over to Frozen Head state park, we would spend the first half of the morning flipping rocks and catching crawfish. Then we would go over to some small mountain creeks, pop the claws off. We would stick the hook in their tail then throw them along logs, stumps, brushpiles and catch red eye bass. Was some good times.

MSGCDP

Thanks for ideas on the crawfish. I was invited bass fishing on Lanier back in 1979 for the first time with my buddies and thier dads and they introduced me to Spring Lizard fishing. They had a guy in Blue Ridge that would bring us a large Styrofoam cooler full for a weeks worth of fishing. I remember the old guys would grab all of the white bellied ones first which did make a difference I must say. Lots of fun with those guys every April for several years. I wish bait stores still sold them. I guess I have gone full circle and want to do a little live bait fishing again to bring back some old memories.
hi my dad and uncles have fished lanier since mid 70s where did you camp at we were at river forks and in the 70s you could camp at 2 miles

Papa Bear

Camped at Two Mile Park. Carried my kids there many times after work when they were growing up cooking a few dawgs on the grill and watch the sunset on long point.