Point ID- updated pictures

walkinboss01

My nephew and I went looking yesterday and he found a beautiful little quartz point. I have seen one exactly like this so I was hoping someone could help us ID it. thx IMG_1016.jpg

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It's really hard to type points like that sometimes. I would probably call that one a Palmer variant. It has a Big Sandy form, but it is really small to be a Big Sandy. Whatever it is, that is an awesome point-very nice!

The most remarkable thing about that point I can see is that although it appears to be made of quartz, there are visible flake scars on it. That is either the highest grade of quartz I've ever seen, or some sort of chalcedony.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
that old timer that knapped that point was pretty good.

Yep, I've come back and looked at the pic five times this morning. :)

walkinboss01

Thx for the help. To say my nephew was excited was a huge understatement. Probably his best point.

Anvil Head

Rick, a beauty for sure. And....that'd probably be a "best point" for most of us.
NC - I've looked at it a bunch too. That translucent area along the tip of the point makes me think "quartz".

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
Maybe an old timer expert knapper from a latter period picked up a quartz preform from an earlier period and modernized it just playing around.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The material looks like blue ice.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Rick, a beauty for sure. And....that'd probably be a "best point" for most of us.
NC - I've looked at it a bunch too. That translucent area along the tip of the point makes me think "quartz".

Except I've never seen quartz that would hold visible flake scars. I've found hundreds of quartz points, and knapped scads of them. Yet to see a distinctive flake scar on any of them.

Attachments

• hardaway.jpg
    hardaway.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 1,898
  • quartzpoints.jpg
    quartzpoints.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 1,919

walkinboss01

When I see my nephew again I'll get some more pictures, and some close up ones.

Anvil Head

I hear what you're saying NC. I haven't either, but "looks" more like quartz than chert in the pic (to me).
Hey Rick if you can borrow it and bring it up this weekend, I can make a positive id on the material.

walkinboss01

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1026.jpg

Here are a few more pictures. I wouldn't call myself an expert, but it looks like quartz to me.

Willjo

Looks a lot like a translucent form of Coastal plain chert, the specs in it was formed in it when it formed under the ocean. We find it from time to time

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The material to me looks like chalcedony. I find a point made from it every now and then around here, and have found a few chunks of the raw material, too. It's sweet knapping rock compared to quartz.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
If alternately beveled, Big Sandy. If not, could be a Coosa notched.

Donal

More of same material

I have two points of the same material that I picked at yeeawanne tualogie camp. I have also pick up raw material in that area.