Best guesses as to what happened? *UPDATE*

Roadking65

what about showing the picture to a vet and get some antibiotics in powder form and sprinkle it on the food if He's returning to the same feeder? maybe help him out ?

livetohunt

With a hole that big I don't see any way that he will survive. It will not heal.

roperdoc

The smaller wound seems to be granulating with little swelling or drainage. The large wound is not draining much, the limb below is not edematous. Main defect appears to be missing skin, not bone or muscle. A large wound,yes, but no true indications of serious infection at this point, nor structural damage that is likely to prevent use of the limb in the future. He keeps showing up to eat so he is feeling ok. He may be favoring the leg a little in the second photo or may just be between steps when the camera went off. Appears to be bearing weight on it in the first photo. His weight is down but no worse than some "Healthy" hard rutting bucks Ive seen recently. ( Or some of our cattle herds in the area with the drought we've had!)
I feel he has a great chance of living through this. He appears to have already survived the acute phase of his injuries, and is in a recuperate/rebuild phase now. I regularly see livestock heal wounds worse than this. It's amazing what they will come through. If he was suffering, he would be bedded up and not coming to feed. If he takes it easy and keeps eating we should see him next year.

nmurph

The smaller wound seems to be granulating with little swelling or drainage. The large wound is not draining much, the limb below is not edematous. Main defect appears to be missing skin, not bone or muscle. A large wound,yes, but no true indications of serious infection at this point, nor structural damage that is likely to prevent use of the limb in the future. He keeps showing up to eat so he is feeling ok. He may be favoring the leg a little in the second photo or may just be between steps when the camera went off. Appears to be bearing weight on it in the first photo. His weight is down but no worse than some "Healthy" hard rutting bucks Ive seen recently. ( Or some of our cattle herds in the area with the drought we've had!)
I feel he has a great chance of living through this. He appears to have already survived the acute phase of his injuries, and is in a recuperate/rebuild phase now. I regularly see livestock heal wounds worse than this. It's amazing what they will come through. If he was suffering, he would be bedded up and not coming to feed. If he takes it easy and keeps eating we should see him next year.

Two different deer.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Looks to be doing good , he don't look real good but I bet he'll be ok

Tmpr111

wounds appear to be closing up for sure, but he sure looks poor. Hope he makes it. Guess he's still eating, that's a positive sign. Hope to see more updates!

Nannyman

I had a young buck this year with the same wound. I could see his shoulder bone. He had it tough for 6wks or so but made a full recovery.