Big Medicine

I have always wanted a rifle chambered in Teddy Roosevelt's ""big medicine" .405 Win., the cartridge he made famous in Africa during his protracted safari early last century. And I "needed" a (no longer in production) stainless/laminate #1H since I found myself without one. That was taken care of today when Santa delivered this one to my LGS. The bunnies and whitetails should tremble at my approach now! If anyone uses this old chambering, post'em up, I'd love to see them.

Attachments

• IMG_7431.jpg
    IMG_7431.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 430
Last edited:

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Very nice! Congrats on the new family member

jmoser

#1s are born to be big bores - almost bought the SS/Lam 45-70 new but found a nice used one in blue/wood with the vintage red pad.

.405 is a neat cartridge - what can you do with modern loads in the #1?

I may try some N120 and push a 400 gr spire point over 2000 fps in my .45-70; 1800+ is already a handful !!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sweet! I've always wanted one since reading Teddy's safari stories, but reading the Kenneth Anderson stories about hunting man-eater tigers and leopards in India with the .405 was icing on the cake.

gregj

great cartridge and a great gun. I just can't get used to the laminated wood. Old fashioned i guess:huh:

great cartridge and a great gun. I just can't get used to the laminated wood. Old fashioned i guess:huh:

They only made this model/chambering a few years, few of them around which is part of the attraction for me.

Dub

Always sorta wanted a Winchester 1895 lever gun in that caliber.

gregj

"They only made this model/chambering a few years, few of them around which is part of the attraction for me."
I completely understand. I owned a number 1b in 30-06 quite a few years ago. l loved it but i sold it i a fit of stupidity. I love Classic old guns, my regular hunting gun is a Mod 99EG in 300sav. I'll never sell that one.

"They only made this model/chambering a few years, few of them around which is part of the attraction for me."
I completely understand. I owned a number 1b in 30-06 quite a few years ago. l loved it but i sold it i a fit of stupidity. I love Classic old guns, my regular hunting gun is a Mod 99EG in 300sav. I'll never sell that one.

See my avatar. :)

#1s are born to be big bores - almost bought the SS/Lam 45-70 new but found a nice used one in blue/wood with the vintage red pad.

.405 is a neat cartridge - what can you do with modern loads in the #1?

I may try some N120 and push a 400 gr spire point over 2000 fps in my .45-70; 1800+ is already a handful !!

I'll never shoot this rifle enough to handload for it. I reckon the Hornady factory 300's will be just dandy on anything I am likely to point it at. I wish I had a better story!