Lake Lanier Crappie 4/14/17

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Well, the Crappie bite is still hot for shallow water. The dogwoods are blooming so now is the time to fill your freezer with Crappie fillets. We caught around 50 or so fish on Friday with the better bite coming in the afternoon. We managed a few Spots and a small Striper. Blowdowns, brushpiles and more blowdowns and everything on a jig. Right now anyone can go out and catch crappie and you don't have to use a boat. The bank of Lanier is walk able and all you need is a bucket of minnows or crappie jigs. Find a blowdown and fish all sides of it. :cheers::cheers:

They are making a little progress up at the Lula Bridge. I just hope they move the sand piles and don't leave them on the north side of the bridge like they did last time..facepalm:

StriperrHunterr

Man, I wish I had this luck on the few brushpiles we tried on the south end. We'd have stuck with them if we didn't have spots blowing up bait on top a couple of boat lengths away.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Gotta try that.
Do you fish your jigs under a slip bobber?

Browning Slayer

Man, I wish I had this luck on the few brushpiles we tried on the south end. We'd have stuck with them if we didn't have spots blowing up bait on top a couple of boat lengths away.

Don't blame ya! I would have been throwing to the spots as well! I wish my circumstances would have been different and I could have chased Crappie on the South End of the lake Friday!

Gotta try that.
Do you fish your jigs under a slip bobber?

No sir. I've never used a slip bobber with a jig. I fish the jigs slow and work it through the water column until I find their depth and feel that ever so lightly "tick" on my line.

Browning Slayer

Will they be on riprap too, or just blowdowns and brush?

Sure for prespawn Crappie, but the problem is, I'm not real sure where any riprap is around Lanier that isn't out of water.. Bridge pylons are always a good place. Sections above water heat up during the day and bait fish are attracted to them. Target the ones that get the most sun light. I target bridge pylons after the spawn and they are great places to fish during the summer months at night. There are some nice rock walls around the lake that will hold fish and I've caught some of my bigger crappie on them.

Dixiesimpleman32

GONetwork Member
Nice catch. Going go after some crappie soon . Glad to see they are still shallow. I missed them in march. Was to busy to get after them.