Dillard House.

skiff23

We were traveling north Saturday evening and stopped by the Dillard House for supper. MAJOR LET DOWN. Do not waste your money. Granny's in Cherokee is a lot better and half the price.
The food at the Dillard House was bland and over cooked. Not what we expected or wanted to pay $ 75 for 2 adults and one child.
Granny's was $ 40 and excellent ! Buffet style !!

brownceluse

I agree 100%! But the problem is those suburb folks drive up there and think their getting good southern cooking. It has been bad for years and the last time we went the only american I seen was the lady that took our money.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have eaten there a few times over the years, because I was with people who wanted to eat at this sacred and holy establishment. I have never been impressed at all. I just don't see the attraction. Cracker Barrel is much better, for that matter. Last time I ate there, there was a hair about a foot long in my peach cobbler, too.

ngadeerhunter1969

Cracker Barrel is much better, for that matter..

Wow. Sure aint saying much for Dillard House then.

Dont get me wrong. I eat at Cracker Barrel mostly for breakfast, but its FAR from "good ol country cooking".

I was wanting to go to Dillard house. I will save my money. We have plenty of really good meat and threes around here for 6.99 including drink

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
I have eaten there a few times over the years, because I was with people who wanted to eat at this sacred and holy establishment. I have never been impressed at all. I just don't see the attraction. Cracker Barrel is much better, for that matter. Last time I ate there, there was a hair about a foot long in my peach cobbler, too.

Man, Cracker Barrel is the worst breakfast I've ever ate..

We ate at the Dillard House years ago and it wasn't too bad. Granted, it's been around 10 years or so..

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't recall ever getting a bad CB breakfast, actually. Not crazy about their supper stuff, but CB breakfast is usually great.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Dillard House reminds me of school cafeteria food, personally. They did used to have some decent fried chicken.

ngadeerhunter1969

ngadeerhunter1969

Dillard House reminds me of school cafeteria food, personally. They did used to have some decent fried chicken.

Amazing they are even able to stay open then, especially at the prices they charge. I always heard great things about this place but it was generally from those than havent been in about 10 years or more.

What happened?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Amazing they are even able to stay open then, especially at the prices they charge. I always heard great things about this place but it was generally from those than havent been in about 10 years or more.

What happened?

No accounting for taste. You can drive by any J&S Cafeteria about lunchtime and a couple hundred old poots will be lined up slap out the door and halfway across the parking lot to get their daily fix of frozen industrial meatloaf and Salisbury steak, canned green beans, and powdered mashed taters. People go to the beach and eat at Captain D's. If enough people say something is good, people will eat it and think it is, even if it isn't. :)

alphachief

In the late 70's and early 80's, the DH was still a great place to eat. As the area became more developed and more tourist arrived...the quality of food and atmosphere declined substantially.

Browning Slayer

I don't recall ever getting a bad CB breakfast, actually. Not crazy about their supper stuff, but CB breakfast is usually great.

Pffftttt... I would take a plate of your jalapeno eggs & cathead biscuits over anything CB has to offer..:cool:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Pffftttt... I would take a plate of your jalapeno eggs & cathead biscuits over anything CB has to offer..:cool:

Me too. :) It's hard to cook those in a car 300 miles from home, though. :bounce:

Browning Slayer

Me too. :) It's hard to cook those in a car 300 miles from home, though. :bounce:

Well, you deserve a crappy meal for leaving the smokies to begin with.. Only reason I would ever leave is to hit the saltwater in search of redfish..

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Well, you deserve a crappy meal for leaving the smokies to begin with.. Only reason I would ever leave is to hit the saltwater in search of redfish..

Doing just that next month. :)