Cook house, anyone use one?

Mako22

BANNED
I hate frying fish in the heat of summer, when I fry in 90+ degree weather I don't even want to eat the fish when I'm done. So for years now I have wanted to build or purchase a cook house of sorts with a window unit AC in it. I was thinking a glassed in gazebo might do it. Anyone have a cook house or cook shack? Pics?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have a porch?

little rascal

Yep

I have a porch?

You got to cook outside man!:D
With that said, seriously if I fry in my house during winter or summer with house all closed up and heat or a/c on, I smell that fry for 4-5 days. That's why I cook or smoke food outside all the time, the oven and stove is there just in case its raining hard or blowing 40 knots. I have cooked/smoked outside in all kinds of extreme weather. In fact, I almost don't know how to cook unless some kind of sever weather is taking place. I feel your pain, 90 degrees ain't fun to cook something hot in.

Last edited:

Moonpie1

Gone but not forgotten
Porch here for me too. The fryer I have exhausts out the back towards the yard. Porch has a metal roof but when it gets real hot, I will put a sprinkler on top. It's amazing how much it helps.

Longhorn 16

I hate frying fish in the heat of summer, when I fry in 90+ degree weather I don't even want to eat the fish when I'm done. So for years now I have wanted to build or purchase a cook house of sorts with a window unit AC in it. I was thinking a glassed in gazebo might do it. Anyone have a cook house or cook shack? Pics?

Build one. I went on a hawg hunt below Columbus and our host had one about 75 feet from his house. Near as I can remember it 15' x 20'. It was really cool with all his memories hanging on the walls. Ex UGA player and he was in his seventies and ran circles around the group. Follow your dreams.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Got two offsets in the yard and an Akorn on my porch. I do want a cook shack tho. Gonna dedicate one section of this now that I have power to it. But gotta clean out one end. Kids have filled up the side sections with stuff now.

Attachments

• 20150515_112458_zpsbnoxypkh.JPG
    20150515_112458_zpsbnoxypkh.JPG
    255.7 KB · Views: 540

Bream Pole

I have one that is screened in with no-seeum screen and it has a metal roof. I have an RV fan in the roof to take the smoke out and there are also air outlets in the roof ridge. No need for AC. Its actually not bad inside and I have a floor fan. Have pics on my cell phone but don't know how to post here. PM me cell and I will send pics. The cooking area is 10x10 and I have a small refrigerator, a laundry tub with running water, ceiling light. On one side will be my BGE and a 1950's cast iron kettle cooker; on the other side will be the refrig, tub and fryer. The cook hut I had burned to the ground along with a shed that was behind it. I combined the two into a 24' x 10 building with metal roof. One end is a 14x10 closed in shed with a door opening onto the 10x10 screened in cooking area. I'm not quite through wiring it and installing tub and doing a few other minor things as the building was just finished by me and a young buddy of mine yesterday.

Moonpie1

Gone but not forgotten
This our spot.

It's not enclosed, but we sure enjoy it. Have had some fine meals with good friends here!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 447

Moonpie1

Gone but not forgotten
View from one end.

Got the Bayou classic fired up as we speak.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 445

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
It's not enclosed, but we sure enjoy it. Have had some fine meals with good friends here!

I've had a dranky drank, or two on that porch !! :cheers:

Neighbor (Champ) has a summer kitchen !!

Think there might be some pics in the "Gathering Forum??"

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I want to build a small one eventually.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
My front porch is 60' x 8' it suffices. Gotta a Bayou Classic, a PK grill, a large smoker/grill, and a infrared cooker on it. Can't cook a lick on none of 'em . facepalm: