20,000 lbs lime down... in one day!

Jim Boyd

Well we used our front end loader to fill our old trough style lime spreader and pulled it with TechFire's (Keith) new side by side.

We started with repairs to a stripped drive wheel on the spreader and by about 930, the work was on!

We busted an axle on the disc mid morning and, believe it or not - had a spare axle. We had to use some old bearings as spacers - but we managed to cobble it back together and keep working.

Keith knows the actual count - I think we filled the spreader 17 times and we left very little lime on the ground where the original pile was.

We had the spreader rough calculated at about 1200 lbs per load and the math works out to 1176 lbs, so we were about spot on.

We limed every thing we wanted except one section of a 2.7 acre field - we were very satisfied with the way the day went.

We finished about 30 mins after dark and that also included clearing three large pine blow downs that laid across one of the buggy roads.

By our calculations, we put down about 2.2 tons per acre - which should be about right - as these are brand new cut in plots in fairly sandy soil that is predominately pine.

The soil tests in September will tell the tale - as we prepare to plant our naked oats and crimson clover.

Best of luck, folks!

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
You da man, Jim Boyd!!!! Your deer thank you!!!!!

What brand/model of lime spreader do you have? Mines International

Jim Boyd

Lime spreader

You know, Canuck - I have no idea of the brand.

I will post up some pics next time down.

As for the deer thanking us, our herd shows very little appreciation!

They eat everything in sight with no kind kind words at all!

Thanks!

Canuck5

You know, Canuck - I have no idea of the brand.

I will post up some pics next time down.

As for the deer thanking us, our herd shows very little appreciation!

They eat everything in sight with no kind kind words at all!

Thanks!

Well, isn't it just like those dang deer!!!

davidhelmly

Even with a little repair work it sounds like you guys had a very productive day!! :clap::clap:
We will be putting out 16-18 tons as soon as turkey season is over but luckily for us we can get a spreader truck into all of them.

techfire55

Jim Boyd IS the man. At over 60 years old he just keeps getting it done. I think he could have worked another 3 to 4 hours but my tired fanny had to call it a night. Canuck, we did have a few deer try to thank Jim last year but before they had the chance he sent a Rage flying through their rib cage.
Good luck to all this season.

Jim Boyd

Keith, you did as much work as I did - maybe more. Certainly takes more beating and banging around getting the lime put out than it does discing it in.

I was well pleased with what we got done that day!

Again, we both know it takes a nearly suicidal deer to get a ride on my four wheeler or in my pickup - those deer must have been on their last legs and looking for a way out!

Canuck5

The lime man cometh, this weekend. Thank you Cedar Rock (in Woodbury)!

Attachments

• Lime.jpg
    Lime.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 439

Jim Boyd

Sweet!

Our local company will not come out and do plots - we are stuck doing it the old fashioned way!

Good job, Canuck!

Canuck5

We are pretty lucky!!! And I am certainly thankful for it! However, I did have him drop a couple tons in one spot, where we have to take it up a hill, to do a 1/4 acre plot, but I won't complain too much about that.

davidhelmly

I'm with you Canuck, I talked to Justin last week and got prices on lime and fert. As soon as turkey season is over the lime truck is going to make a few trips! :cheers:

Canuck5

I'm with you Canuck, I talked to Justin last week and got prices on lime and fert. As soon as turkey season is over the lime truck is going to make a few trips! :cheers:

Cheaper than pelletized lime and a whole lot easier on the body!

GeorgiaGlockMan

This.∆

After hand bagging tens of thousands of lime lbs into a spreader, I called the lime truck. This time last year he dropped 37k lbs in a few trips and a couple hours.

Seeing 15k lbs go down in just a few minutes without a tinge of backpain is a grveat thing!.

ETA- Jim sorry to hear your lime supplier won't apply. Makes me even more thankful.

Last edited:

Jim Boyd

Thanks Glock!

With the front end loader and the spreader, it is just not that bad.

Like I said, we put down 20,000 lbs in one day and got it disced in.

I am really happy for you guys that can get your dealer to do it!