Do we take it for granted?

18dawg

This has hit home with me, I use to love to hunt but with that being said I'm not able to anymore. A long walk in the woods for me now would be 50 yards but I can still walk. I guess my point is I'm stuck in the middle and not sure what my options are.

cherokee charlie

this has hit home with me, i use to love to hunt but with that being said i'm not able to anymore. A long walk in the woods for me now would be 50 yards but i can still walk. I guess my point is i'm stuck in the middle and not sure what my options are.

o.w.l.

Arrow Flinger

Like Charlie said, that is what Outdoors Without Limits does. We assist folks that need a little or alot of help. Email me at owlhunt@att.net and I will get you on our list so we can notifiy you of upcoming hunting or fishing trips.

Warrenco

I'm disabled.. Maybe that'll change in the future. Was in a bad car accident. I'm not in a wheel chair anymore but can't walk long distances and hard to climb a tree stand. Have several issues going on, but thank god I'm alive. What owl does is great , glad there's organizations out there that do stuff like this

j_seph

As one who has gotten involved with OWL to help out on these hunts and fishing trips I would like to tell each one that participates as a hunter or a fisherman Thank You. We take so much for granted and to see y'all do the things y'all do is truly a blessing. Adapt and overcome, you cannot just give up living. Participants truly open many eyes, give others Hope and encouragement. I am sure there are several who have helped at these events who can testify the inspiration and eye opener y'all have been. Thank y'all for teaching us and allowing us into your lives how little it may be. Hope to see everyone soon.

Lindseys Grandpa

I enjoyed the trip this weekend and hope to do more. I to have always taken being able to come and go as i please for granted. But all of us who are fortunate enough to have good health are potentially a split second from being able to help to needing it.

mutt

What an awesome video. The folks in the chairs are a great inspiration.

I know what really inspires me are the people that volunteer and spend so much time to help those of us that can't get into the good places to hunt or fish anymore.

They are giving up a HUGE portion of their lives to help people get back in the woods. They still have the problems we all face with their own families to provide for and care for at the same time. Awesome folks just awesome

I had a serious spinal injury years ago. Things didn't heal so well and aging just adds to a very long list of the problems, disorders and bone disease

I just hated it when they sent me to the third floor at shepherd for evaluation. No one likes being told they need to be in a chair.

I met some that go on to the fourth floor and you really do appreciate every little bit mobility and ability you can save.

I spent two years in a chair or bed and doctors helped me get back on my feet with a cane. I've been in and out of the chair for over 10 years now.

Now time is up and time to pay the piper because the doctors say I'm generating way too much inflammation and it is affecting my organs. Also the areas of my spine the surgeons wouldn't touch are getting worse because I still choose to use my cane and just force myself to walk while I still can.

It takes a lot of effort and pain to walk but it is something that i enjoy every step i can still take even if its just a few at a time

I wanted surgery to fix it but we couldn't find a surgeon that would fuse together the problem areas. I told the last surgeon I wanted it fused and he said the same thing we heard before. We can do the surgery but its going to come apart and you will be worse off.

I threatened to go to India where surgeons will do what you ask them to do and he said its going to fail no matter what.

So we live with what we get

I'm not sure I'll hunt again because I lived for grouse hunting. It just can't be done from a chair.

That's Okay. as crazy as it sounds I still go gold prospecting only having to walk a few feet at a time and then I continue sitting down .
I pick the best days when I feel I can get around a bit more and I go a couple times a year for the day.

I'm now planning my trip of a lifetime I will do even in my chair.

I am going to build my own gasoline powered track vehicle

Arrow Flinger

What an awesome video. The folks in the chairs are a great inspiration.

I know what really inspires me are the people that volunteer and spend so much time to help those of us that can't get into the good places to hunt or fish anymore.

They are giving up a HUGE portion of their lives to help people get back in the woods. They still have the problems we all face with their own families to provide for and care for at the same time. Awesome folks just awesome

I had a serious spinal injury years ago. Things didn't heal so well and aging just adds to a very long list of the problems, disorders and bone disease

I just hated it when they sent me to the third floor at shepherd for evaluation. No one likes being told they need to be in a chair.

I met some that go on to the fourth floor and you really do appreciate every little bit mobility and ability you can save.

I spent two years in a chair or bed and doctors helped me get back on my feet with a cane. I've been in and out of the chair for over 10 years now.

Now time is up and time to pay the piper because the doctors say I'm generating way too much inflammation and it is affecting my organs. Also the areas of my spine the surgeons wouldn't touch are getting worse because I still choose to use my cane and just force myself to walk while I still can.

It takes a lot of effort and pain to walk but it is something that i enjoy every step i can still take even if its just a few at a time

I wanted surgery to fix it but we couldn't find a surgeon that would fuse together the problem areas. I told the last surgeon I wanted it fused and he said the same thing we heard before. We can do the surgery but its going to come apart and you will be worse off.

I threatened to go to India where surgeons will do what you ask them to do and he said its going to fail no matter what.

So we live with what we get

I'm not sure I'll hunt again because I lived for grouse hunting. It just can't be done from a chair.

That's Okay. as crazy as it sounds I still go gold prospecting only having to walk a few feet at a time and then I continue sitting down .
I pick the best days when I feel I can get around a bit more and I go a couple times a year for the day.

I'm now planning my trip of a lifetime I will do even in my chair.

I am going to build my own gasoline powered track vehicle

Send me an email to owlhunt@att.net and let me put you on our email list for upcoming events.

cherokee charlie

I made a post on Jan. 1, 2014 telling of my experience with becoming handicapped. One year and four months later: I suffer from sleep apthnea. So much that I either passed out or went to sleep about two months ago and wrecked my new Silverado truck.
That was not the bad news. BTW I didn't get hurt except for a cut on my leg where the brake rubbed on my leg. I had a new lift and a new wheel chair in the back of my truck and as I rolled it I destroyed the lift and the chair. Insurance wouldn't pay for them because I had not added them to my policy. I thought it was automaticly covered. Wrong. I lost 8 Thousand dollars.

I had just gotten out of the hospital and rehab the day before. I caught a staph from an elbow operation and had to take anti-biotics for almost 60 days.

I am now mostly confined to a wheel chair. I don't drive anymore because this was a wake up call and I honestly do not want to hurt anyone. I made the call. Not someone else.
I have to depend on Carol (my wife) and friends to take me anywhere. That is worse that being crippled.

After the insurance co. paid me for my truck I went to Athens and bought a used van that is equipped for handicapped people. These things do not come cheap.

Ask me if I am bitter. Heck yes. I didn't get to go on the OWL hunting trip (Comer) nor did I get to go on the Gainesville fishing trip. Circumstances prevented it.

I thought I was getting a break from disaster then last Monday this man t-boned my wife and her new car. He did over 8 grand in damages not counting the hospital.

Do I take all this for granted? I did but there is no excuse for feeling sorry for one's self. I still have my leather work and I shoot competitively. Believe it or not I am still winning and posting 40x40 scores. When you loose one thing it seems that you get better at something else.

I also have something to look forward to and that is the Comer hunt.

Keep your chin up and your wheels rolling. Life may look a little different from a wheel chair but it's still living.

Cherokee Charlie

Latest posts