Trail Camera Manuals

whchunter

I recently bought a Moultrie 880 and 990 Gen 2 cameras. While the instructions were acceptable on setting the camera up, the instructions didn't cover how the user is to start the camera.
I use "custom start" on both cameras and when I switch them from "off" to this "custom setting" I first have to key in my security code. You would think that at this point it would automatically be ready to start taking pictures but no. The screen goes to "motion detect" where you have to select between "options" and "start". To start you still have to right click two more times. The manual doesn't tell you anything concerning this. User has to figure it out. At least with the 990 I was able to verify without pulling my SD card.
Why don't camera manufactures let a person off the street read and try the camera before printing the manual?

littlenorth

whchunter: I have Moultrie M880's, but have never used the "Security code". The main reason is if one forgets the code or misplaces where you wrote it down, the camera has to be sent back to the manufacture with proof of ownership for them to unlock it. As for turning the camera on, I just push the slide switch to the "On" position after making sure I have good batteries and an appropriate SD card installed. I use various brands of SD cards, formatted in my computer. These cards are used at random in various camera brands and series. I make sure the card is not too large for the camera. Some camera brands recommend up to (say 32 GB) but the camera for what ever reason will not accept that card size. My maximum card size is 8GB.
A problem I am finding with the Moultrie cameras is as one faces the camera, the IR lights on the right half fail to come on at dusk or night. I have done in house tests. Because of this fault, the camera will not revert back to the proper function for day time, giving grey and white pictures or videos. When the camera was set up for wildlife I even moved the camera to different locations, to prevent shadows or lack of sun. My thought is some electrical component has failed. Warranty on these cameras has expired and being from Canada, shipping and currency exchange is too costly (cheaper to take that money and put toward a different camera). All the best.

I have not tried mine yet this way but I have heard if you just slide the switch to custom, then put in your security code, close it up and walk away it is suppose to start on it's own. Maybe try this and after a few minutes check it to see if it is set. I have been sliding my switch to custom, put in my security code then press the right button and the screen on mine (I have the 990i) shows a countdown timer then I close it up.

whchunter

Mine

Mine will not take pics if you just slide to custom, enter security code and walk away. I have to right click one or two times to get to countdown. This is true for both cameras.

I always record my security codes in my manuals so I can be sure I know it. Also I make it easy so I can remember it.

I did check mine today. Like I said my cam is the M-990i Gen2 so it might be different. I turned it off then back on to check my pictures, erased what pictures I had then turned it off again. Turned it on to Custom, entered my security code and just waited, after about four or five minutes it started a countdown.