Toting a Firearm & shooting at night

BigSwole

What are the laws on this.

I know the regs for duck hunting with steel shot.

What can i take with me and shoot as long as im far enough away from civilization.

I have been on top of beavers and snakes id like to shoot both. I know the beavers are open season year around..

I want to stay legal so if i can awesome, if not then oh well ill keep watching em swim by.

BigSwole

And ive searched everything i know of, and for the record. Google brings this thread up on page 1, so hopefully a dnr or other knowledgeable person will reply because im sure im not the only one wanting to know.

Thanks in advance

turky93

On private property, nothing is stopping you from shooting a beaver with a pistol at night as long as you're far enough away from any homes or roads to discharge a firearm.

castandblast

There a lot of different factors here in your questions that will determine your answers. For instance, who owns the water your on? (C.O.E, TVA, etc, etc.) All of the governing bodies will have different laws about firearms. It will be your responsibility to know what the laws are for where you are.

Yes, beavers are legal. However, I believe non-venomous snakes are considered non-game species and are not legal.

BigSwole

Its the flint river that im asking about. Its not corps water.

I was asking regarding water mocasins.

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
just leave the snakes alone. probably only one in a hundred you see will be venemous and they will leave you alone as well.

BigSwole

Well that one chance they don't leave ne alone id like to be prepared. Plus im looking for the legality of what i can vs cant do. Id rather know im legal and stay within the laws then second guess myself.

I do alot of hunting and fishing and i like to know whats legal vs what isnt

sleeze

I would like to know this as well...cant never have too many weapons on you,,,as long its legal of course.

turky93

Its not something you need to be doing on the river.
I thought we were talking in regards to a pond or swamp on private property.
Legal or not, you're going to be sick with yourself when a bullet skips off the water and kills somebody fishing down the river.

BigSwole

I duck hunted nearly 50 times last season. On public water. Shooting a gun on the water isnt something new. Im not going to be firing off rounds in any direction for giggles. Im asking for the legality of what i can and cant do. Like if i have a shotgun, do i still need steel shot for being on the water?

Is there any law that says you cant ahoot a beaver with a .45?

Im not irresponsible and running reckless. Im trying to understand the law on this before i even go out that way im within the confines of the law.

Last edited by a moderator:

NG ALUM

Banned
I understand what you are wanting and there is always some negative feedback on this site, but don't worry about it..My understanding is this.

When you are fishing on private waters there is no law limiting you to any firearms you can posess in your boat. There is also no law restrictin the killing of beavers on private property except that they must be taken by legal means such as trapping or shooting. You may not poisen them or anything like that. There is actually a bounty on beavers in place at alot of local governing authorities such as laurens county commissioners office and they will pay 10-15 $ per beaver tail. check with you county government for bounties.

On public waterways such as the flint river there is also no laws limiting the firearm you posess in your boat. However there may be federal army corps of engineers regulations limiting the firearm you can posess on some bodies of water, this mostly applies to lakes but not exclusively. (I would check lake laws before jumping in a boat with a gun on somewhere like lake lanier). You should be fine on the flint river to have a firearm and it's actually probably smart to take one.

There is no law forbidding you from shooting beavers on public waters such as the flint river, ocmulgee river, altamaha river etc...as long as you kill them in a legal manner (don't drop firecrackers on their heads and such).

As for snakes, they are considered a non game species and non games species law applies. you have the full right to defend yourself and kill a venemous snake with anymeans necessary including firearm in order to protect yourself, boat, and occupants of the boat.

I would be a little more careful as some snakes are federally protected such as the black indigo snake and you would not want to be caught killing one. make sure what your shooting is a water moccasin and such..

but yes, on the flint river you can kill snakes and beaver no problem.

BigSwole

THANK YOU NG!!!

thats how i interperted it but i just wanted to make sure. Im not looking to kill any snakes but i would rather be prepared and ill get rid of the beavers. According to dnr webaite they encourage you to because of the over popluation and destruction they cause.

Thank you very much for an educated explanation. It admazes me that the people on this site who will go out of their way to type up drama but bite their tounge on saying something smart.

Once again thank you, im sure im not the only one wondering thia and wanting to know.

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
i guess i was the one the "drama" quote was attributed to, but i too was just trying to help. before yall get too far "interpreting" the law, you may want to read this exerpt taken from the georgia dnr webpage. just because an explanation sounds educated, it may be best to realize that an internet chat board quote is not a legal defense to a game warden.

"Despite the relatively low level of danger posed by venomous snakes many people consider their fear justification for killing snakes. In Georgia it is a misdemeanor punishable by up to a $1,000 fine and a year in jail to possess or kill many of nongame wildlife species, including non-venomous snakes (O.C.G.A. §27-1-28). "

BigSwole

Not so much feral, i wasnt referring that towards you, and not just talking about in this thread. Like in the deer hunting, fresh w fishing, waterfowl, every year 1 month into the season the mods (prob yourself included) have to go around cleaning stuff up and reminding ppl on what they can vs cant say.

Its never something that could be a debate or argueing 2 sides its just people posting the first dumb comment that comes to their minds.

But nack to topic, thanks for the heads up on the snake deal. I generally try not to mess with snakes more so they always find me. Last year a wm climbed into the boat with my wife and I so im going to try not to do that again.

But my original question was directed more so to shooting beavers, because i didnt know if special rules came into effect at night. Honestly if i had a wm trying to get in my boat id be blasting it wether i was legal or not.

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
10-4 . in my reading of the travels of lewis and clark, one of their favorite foods during the trek was beaver tail. i have to admit i sort of thought to try one one day but have never slung an arrow through one . we see em regular, just haven't decided to bring one home yet !

BigSwole

Well during duck season i shot a fat one, i wanted to do a mount but one of my shot busted his front teeth so i didnt get that one mounted. However i caped him out(which takes FOREVER) and i called a friend of mine who takes anything i shoot or catch and do not want or w.e and him and his buddy picked it up and gutted him and put em on the grill.

They said it was good however, the next one i get they are going to soak it in saltwater and marinate it first. (Ive read that is the only way to do it)

But they liked it and asked for another...

BigSwole

Try to kill em if you can they are destructive creatires.

One of my go to duckholes back in a VERY hidden area now has a beaver dam across it. I jumped it in my godevil but its hard work and if i dont make a path while its warm i wont be able to get back there during duck season.

Just have something to kill it with cause they are very TOUGH. A headshot from a 12 ga. 4 shot 3.5 in shell from 10 FEET didnt kill it right aeay as you would think. Another well placed shot did tho.

Upon caping it i found shot barely under the skin on top of the skull plate. And there hide is like a hog. Thick and full of fat

NG ALUM

Banned
i guess i was the one the "drama" quote was attributed to, but i too was just trying to help.- I AM A POTTY MOUTH - before yall get too far "interpreting" the law, you may want to read this exerpt taken from the georgia dnr webpage.- I AM A POTTY MOUTH - just because an explanation sounds educated, it may be best to realize that an internet chat board quote is not a legal defense to a game warden.- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -"Despite the relatively low level of danger posed by venomous snakes many people consider their fear justification for killing snakes. In Georgia it is a misdemeanor punishable by up to a $1,000 fine and a year in jail to possess or kill many of nongame wildlife species, including non-venomous snakes (O.C.G.A. §27-1-28). "
Non-venemous is the key to this last sentence. Thats why I stated to make sure that what you were killing is indeed a water mocassin, Rattle snake, etc...I didn't try and intrepret the law, I called a DNR agent and summarized what he said as he was saying it. As I stated earlier in the other post. Nobody is going to mess with you for killing a venemous snake, just make sure it's venemous. Non-venemous snakes serve a good purpose and nobody should go around blasting them. I thought I made that clear.