ASA Tie break using bonus rings???

Dingo26

bonus

do like soul hunters has or had couple of their targets, the 14 ring was under the 8 line, 6 oclock low from the 10 ring, if you go for it you get a 14 or pin wheel 5, I thought that was very sporting, true heart shot or shoot for the center 10... I also think the question was well put,, 200 with no bonus rings, 200 with 4 bonus rings, who shot better, for me the guy with no bonus rings he was in the middle all day, the other guy shot 4 8's and had to make up for wayward shots,, just my 2 cents..:stir:::ke:

Big John

Not sayin anything about the top scoring rings but someone told me that the shooter with the most bonus rings wins because they went for them.. and got more than the other shooter that played safer and did not go for then as much...

BowanaLee

I always thought 3-D shots were supposed to mimic a hunting shot. If so, theres no good shot where the 14 is now. Stands to reason if you want to reward someone for making a perfect shot, put it where it belongs or do away with it. Then useing the 12 to break ties would make more sense, and 1st to drop a point is 2nd. You'll have to keep the starting point on your card straight though.
I guess the reasoning behind the 12's position is to mimic holding low on an alert string jumper ?

dgmeadows

200 with no bonus rings, 200 with 4 bonus rings, who shot better, for me the guy with no bonus rings he was in the middle all day, the other guy shot 4 8's and had to make up for wayward shots,, just my 2 cents..:stir:::ke:

Isn't it possible though, that the guy shooting 200 with no bonus rings actually wasn't in the middle all day - just catching the 10 line on top, each side, and bottom, just not lucky enough to catch a 12, but the guy shooting 200 with 4 twelves might have made the four 8s by just missing the 12 by 1/8" each time ? In that case, the second shooter only missed his point of aim by a TOTAL of 1/2" for all shots, whereas the first shooter may have sprayed the 10s all over the 5" - 8" (and larger) 10 ring...

And by the way, I am more likely to be the first shooter myself :p

Not sayin anything about the top scoring rings but someone told me that the shooter with the most bonus rings wins because they went for them.. and got more than the other shooter that played safer and did not go for then as much...

Exactly..... right or wrong, that is the logic (I think)

The Arrow Guru

I'm with Kenny, I could care less if they are in play or out of play. My comment was not meant to start a 14 discussion but was just part of my answer. I shoot my best scores with out shooting at them anyway.

BowanaLee

Am I the only one who doesnt understand why ASA and all other clubs and organizations use the higher number of bonus rings to break a tie ?

Lets hear what you think!

Sorry, they were in the same can of worms. :bounce: ::ke:

red1691

I have been saying that for years, they just like to penalize good shooters! Don't get me wrong the 12 ring saved 3-Ds back when it was added.
Like I have said the shooter with the most 10 rings should be the winner!! After all the 12 ring is in the 10 ring!!!

oldgeez

like i said before, when you're forced to shoot at them to win, it adds the excitement factor; and if you don't shoot 'em, most of the time,you're not going to win. they also add comeback-ability!!:yeah::yeah:

MathewsArcher

I have always known why they do it. That doesn't mean I like it though.

But the first shoot I win with more bonus rings, my mindset will change a lot. I'm sure of it.

p&y finally

In my opinion the bonus rings add strategy to the game. Thats why I dont care for IBO. Everybody is shooting for the same spot on every target (center 10). That takes alot of the fun out of it.

KMckie786

In my opinion the bonus rings add strategy to the game. Thats why I dont care for IBO. Everybody is shooting for the same spot on every target (center 10). That takes alot of the fun out of it.

I agree 100%. I just wish they could figure out a way to break a tie that actually benefits the better shooter.

BlackArcher

MacKie.. I have often wondered the same thing...
The Archer with the least amount of 12's should indeed be the winner. Simply because he/she shot with the fewest errors.
In the case of the 14's The Archer that hit the most 14's should be the winner. Simply He/she took the most risk.
On Tie Breakers.. The Archer that Hit the first 8 or or 5 should be second to the the Archer that did not.

DanielHunter

I like tge way it is. It means that the archer who hit more bonus ringd had to work harder to get his points. It seems it wouldbt be fair to give the win to the shooter who didnt make as many good shot or whot shot safe and hit tens give it to the guy who deserves it and went for the bonus rings and hit them.

dgmeadows

This thread still alive ? I have thought about it some more, and it seems to me that the 12 is for 3D the same as the X for indoor. The assumption is that everyone is shooting for the X, or for 3D, the 12. You can shoot a clean 300 with only 47 Xs and win over someone with 299 and 59 Xs - who appears to be the better shooter in that case?
Not a perfect system either... maybe we should start measuring how far from the 12 each 10, 8 or 5 is ??