Homemade forge

rjcruiser

GThe closest I have found any demonstrations is Dawsett Trails in Jackson. Been meaning to go down there just haven't made the time.

Nice work!

From the pics...see a Hello Kitty napkin on the floor...so I'm guessing you got at least a little girl :D So...all that to say...when you do make your way to Dawsett Trails, take the whole fam. They've got a really neat zoo/nature preserve that is free. My kids love it.

drippin' rock

Nice work!

From the pics...see a Hello Kitty napkin on the floor...so I'm guessing you got at least a little girl :D So...all that to say...when you do make your way to Dawsett Trails, take the whole fam. They've got a really neat zoo/nature preserve that is free. My kids love it.

Yep. Two girls, 9 and 11. That's how I know about the place. They have been two or three times, me- none.

Bilge Rat LT 20

Nice work!
I have been thinking about a forge for a while, the charcoal making idea i will have to try.

I fit pipe at work, brake drums i have from racing and farm equipment, a welder and i have an old blower i bought at a farm equipment auction a few years ago as well as a cheap 100lb anvil.

Farming on the weekends you always are repairing old equipment. Bent metal needs to be straightened so heat and a hammer are needed.

Anvil Head

You fellas ought to make a trip up to Trackrock this fall and check out some of the Lp forge setups. Cleaner, faster start-up/shut-down, better heat control, no fire maintenance and smaller footprint.
Did fire-poking for a while and still enjoy messin with it from time to time, but if you find you are short on time/space or both, Lp forges are the ticket. Both of you being scroungers can really reduce the expense of making one. Don't have over $50 in any of the ones I've built.
I have a three burner NC Daddy Whisper Jet forge (Lp) that I don't need or use. Very well built forge, but not much use to me, much better suited for general smithing work. Do a google on it and PM me if interested.

Oh yeah: www.alexbealer.com