Congress shooter was using an SKS ....

GAHUNTER60

Not an AR varient as was initially reported.

That might answer a lot of questions I had as to how it all went down.

weagle

Not an AR varient as was initially reported.

That might answer a lot of questions I had as to how it all went down.

I think I heard a report that it had a scope on it. If that's the case, I bet they find out the scope was off by a mile and saved a bunch of lives. SKS is hard to secure a scope to.

GAHUNTER60

If the nut job had a scope, thank God it was out of zero, or the guy just plain could not shoot for crud. At the ranges he was engaging targets, even with my 66-year-old eyes and open combat sights, it seems this could have been so much worse for those involved.

Also, I believe that had it been a 5.56 round instead of a 7.62x39 bullet that struck the Congressman in the hip and the Tyson Foods lobbiest in the chest, the results would have been fatal for at least one of the victims. (This assumes he was using foreign-made FMJ ammo, which would explain why witnesses described a distinct powder-burn odor wafting over the scene of the crime.)

transfixer

If the nut job had a scope, thank God it was out of zero, or the guy just plain could not shoot for crud. At the ranges he was engaging targets, even with my 66-year-old eyes and open combat sights, it seems this could have been so much worse for those involved.

Also, I believe that had it been a 5.56 round instead of a 7.62x39 bullet that struck the Congressman in the hip and the Tyson Foods lobbiest in the chest, the results would have been fatal for at least one of the victims. (This assumes he was using foreign-made FMJ ammo, which would explain why witnesses described a distinct powder-burn odor wafting over the scene of the crime.)

I don't know about that, the 7.62x39 has a better reputation as a man-stopper than the 5.56 does in wartime, I've not seen a picture of the weapon, so I don't know what configuration he had, but the sks rifles are not known for accuracy , so that may have come into play,
I think it shows the prejudice of the media and their pre-disposed jumping to conclusions that the cbs news I was watching was going into detail describing a M4 that the shooter was supposed to have used ,,, lol

jmoser

7.62 x 39 FMJ will zip right thru but not leave a huge wound channel. Lots of the combloc cheap lacquered steel case ammo is also steel core; max penetration but minimum deformation.

There is plenty quality soft point and polymer tipped ammo but 99% of SKS shooting is done with el cheapo FMJ surplus.

GAHUNTER60

Anybody else ever notice a distinctive powder-burn odor from Chinese military ball ammo? I bought several cases of the stuff when it was really, really cheap, and I believe I will be able to identify that odor 'til the day I die.

BTW, My SKS shoots pretty dang good with the Chinese military FMJ loads. It actually out shoots our Garand.

transfixer

7.62 x 39 FMJ will zip right thru but not leave a huge wound channel. Lots of the combloc cheap lacquered steel case ammo is also steel core; max penetration but minimum deformation.

That's pretty much exactly what 55gr fmj and 62gr fmj 5.56 rounds will do as well ,,,, our guys in the Mideast are still complaining they have to put 2 or 3 rounds in someone to stop them, they've been complaining about that for years.

transfixer

Anybody else ever notice a distinctive powder-burn odor from Chinese military ball ammo? I bought several cases of the stuff when it was really, really cheap, and I believe I will be able to identify that odor 'til the day I die.

BTW, My SKS shoots pretty dang good with the Chinese military FMJ loads. It actually out shoots our Garand.

To be honest I've never paid attention to the smell, I'll have to check next time I decide to waste a few rounds, I've got tons of that stuff, even a couple sardine cans of the copper washed steel core stuff, and yellow box norinco also. The sks I have now shoots good, its hit or miss with those things, some have pretty good accuracy, some you do good to keep them in a pie plate at 100yds.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
We need a special investigator

noylj

You and I will NEVER know the truth.
It will just be that he had "several" high powered rifles and handguns and several hundred rounds of ammo and high capacity magazines.

noylj

Special Investigator?
Like the one we have who has decided that there is no evidence of Trump and Russia collusion (and DNC and Russia collusion is not important), so he has opened it to a witch hunt over the whole of the administration.
Oh, if Ken Starr had tried that...

I don't know about that, the 7.62x39 has a better reputation as a man-stopper than the 5.56 does in wartime, I've not seen a picture of the weapon, so I don't know what configuration he had, but the sks rifles are not known for accuracy , so that may have come into play,
I think it shows the prejudice of the media and their pre-disposed jumping to conclusions that the cbs news I was watching was going into detail describing a M4 that the shooter was supposed to have used ,,, lol
First off you dont want to be shot with anything. FMj will hurt you bad . 556 or 762X39 are both man killers. Seen both in action in Nam.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten

There is plenty quality soft point and polymer tipped ammo but 99% of SKS shooting is done with el cheapo FMJ surplus.

The cheep FMJ AP ammo with the steel core shot from a SKS breaks apart leaving many small parts that scattered in the body while letting the steel core to penetrate through the body like the congressman's doctor reported.

gt40

PS: Bill Clinton gave the Okay for a whole ship load of the 7.62x39 AP and rifles imported into this country when he was president. His oriental arms dealer "buddy" was allowed to sleep in Lincoln's bed 45 times by the reports.

chase870

Possum Sox
Just glad the shooter didn't have enough common sense to use a shot gun at that close range, the results would have been bad

biggdogg

According to some dumb blond bimbo on CNN or MSNBC (both garbage imho), he was at a decided advantage because the security detail on the scene were only armed with pistols. Which by design are only capable of one shot per trigger pull whereas the shooter was using a rifle that was equipped with a switch to allow full auto and civilians shouldn't have access to that type of firepower. facepalm:

pdsniper

I far as I know I have never seen or heard of an SKS chambered in 556 and as far as the ammo goes there is tons of soft point 7.62 x 34 ammo out there with steel cases I have a bunch of it at home so he could have possibly been shooting that, as far as full auto fire they did make an sks that was full auto and it used a detachable AK mag but those guns are very rare and were never imported in this country I have only seen pictures of one, but you can not expect anything accurate from the media they are idiots when it comes to anything about guns

Anvil Head

If you listened to all the different news casts, debreifings and interviews - even the LEO's on scene after the fact could not get the details on weaponry correct.....9mm-40cal-10mm-semiauto-revlover-etc. Not to mention the weapon(s) both type and quantity in hand the perp had.
Only good thing they got right was the two giving return fire did one heck of a job standing their ground and doing there job.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I was pretty sure that is was not a .556 when I heard the cell phone footage. It just didn't sound right. I wondered if he was shooting from the hip Rambo style.
Tank god it wasn't worse.