any of you old timers remember this?

gtrman

I just stumbled across this post. It made me remember hating for it to snow and school let out...that meant I had many, many, MANY coons to take off stretchers. Every minute I wasn't in school, I was doing that or putting foxes, rats, cats, or something on stretchers...or unloading a big truck FULL of fur...
I miss it a little bit, but at least nowadays my kids don't miss me from November til April. lol I know my Dad misses the fur business though. The alligator business now keeps us all plenty busy though.

JohnK

No coyotes in those pics because there weren't any to speak of. I had some beagles and the rumor then was that the fox hunters were bringing in coyotes to run. I never heard of coyotes other than that, never ran one and never knew anybody who did. That would pretty well cover from McDonough to Unadilla.

Thanks for posting the photos, very nice

Last edited:
If I had the money to gamble, I'd bet the so-called "Waylon" is a young Okefenokee Joe.

Any takers?

BTW, most certainly ain't the real (formerly) Waylon.

sinnemon

One if my dads old friends was mark Patterson does anyone know where he is?

The mtn man

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread, brings back a lot of memories, I wish the fur trade would come back to the south, I'm probably not much older than sinimon, I made alot of money in the 80s trapping around home, bought a lot of school clothes, I always had money in my pocket, when the well to do kids didn't, I also remember, you never saw a dead animal on the highway, if you ran over it, you picked it up and skinned it.I usually got $45 for red fox, $35 for grey fox, $20 for coon, $5 for possum, I didn't skin skunks, my momma wouldn't let me, LOL.We didn't have any beavers within walking distance of my house, where I grew up.Awesome pictures, Sinemon.

Great pics that bring back lots of memories. Sold my first furs about '67/'68. Mostly muskrats, coon and possum and an occasional mink. Sold them to Plott Hide and Fur when he was on N. Peachtree St. before he moved to Griffin. My oldest brother had to drive me there because I was only 12. Late '70s/early 80's I remember selling reds for $75, grays for around $50 and getting 30-35 for coons. Sure was hard to concentrate on a regular job back then.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of memories. I was a teenager in the 80s, and lived for trapping, hunting, and fishing. I ran a muskrat/mink line down the river and up all the branches with a few dry loops for foxes and bobcats. There were not many yotes here then, no beaver, and no otter right around where I lived. Plenty of all of the above now. At a time whn most folks were working for $3-$4 an hour, I was making some good money trapping. I was catching loads of huge XXL muskrats from the silage corn fields along the river that brought $10-$12 apiece. Mink, $45-$50 big male, $30-$35 females. Foxes $45-$50, coons $25 for good ones, bobcats $75-$100 or more with good spots. Even possums were $7-$8 apiece. As somebody else said, you didn't see roadkill lying on the emergency lane then. I remember going on a deer hunting trip to eastern NC with a friend. We picked up enough fur off the side of I-40 going down to pay for our whole trip and came back with $100 extra apiece. Didn't even have to skin it, I knew a guy down there who would buy whole critters.

I had coon dogs then and caught a lot of coons hunting, too. Always had a shed hanging full of fur by the end of the season, I miss it.

br5

Cool pics . Are you Lisa ?
I remember in the mid 80's grey fox was bringing $60 for the good ones and reds was up to $70 . It didn't last but a few years and dropped of fast . I think all my trapping pics are in the basement stored ,maybe I can find a few > Time sure does go fast