Tiger Trout

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Are you sure that's the "cross"? Browns are trout and specs/brooks are chars. Lot of genetic differences there for hybridization. Not challenging, just curious. Love to see docs on that.

I fished pretty much every foot of every trout stream in N GA and never caught or saw a "Tiger" trout. Not saying they don't exist, just always thought them a folklore myth. I was no slouch at catching trout either. Wasn't any big thing to trifecta a good stream back when I was a kid. Browns were the hardest to find back then, specs were everywhere there was fast water. I always targeted the hold-overs and stream born, just because (as mentioned above), they were much very colorful and better tasting for sure.

Yep, they're a brown/brook hybrid. Different genus, but they're closely enough related to produce offspring. And they both spawn in the fall at about the same time. I have caught a couple of the stocked versions, and know a couple of folks who have caught wild ones. The wild ones are extremely rare.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Great minds think alike and type at the same time lol.

Buckman18

I've never caught a Tiger, but if I ever do I will be making a trip to Mr. Taxidermyman. I don't care if it's only 5 inches long.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I've never caught a Tiger, but if I ever do I will be making a trip to Mr. Taxidermyman. I don't care if it's only 5 inches long.

I wish I had put that 11 inch brook trout on the wall.

Buckman18

I wish I had put that 11 inch brook trout on the wall.

I've caught a few 12's, and I wish I would've mounted one of them instead of eating them. This was in the late 90's - early 2000's before I had a family and I fished almost every day. A couple years back, my wife caught a genuine 14 incher. It's mounted. It was in December, she was 7 month pregnant and we were about a mile from the truck.

In the past 2 or 3 years, I've caught some 9's and a couple of tens. But the 12's are very hard to come by.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I've caught a few 12's, and I wish I would've mounted one of them instead of eating them. This was in the late 90's - early 2000's before I had a family and I fished almost every day. A couple years back, my wife caught a genuine 14 incher. It's mounted. It was in December, she was 7 month pregnant and we were about a mile from the truck.

In the past 2 or 3 years, I've caught some 9's and a couple of tens. But the 12's are very hard to come by.

Mine was in either 1976 or 77. I was fishing up there a good bit at the time, and figured I might catch one bigger.

Oh well, that fish was delicious. :D

flyrod444

Caught this tiger trout about 5 years ago in a wild trout stream. It is the only one I've ever caught in the tens of thousands of trout that I have landed over the years. Most of the tiger trout I've heard of are small which made this one even more rare. It was around 14 ".
Jack

Attachments

• 0928121018-368x276.jpg
    0928121018-368x276.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 0928121019-368x276.jpg
    0928121019-368x276.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 167

swampstalker24

Are you sure that's the "cross"? Browns are trout and specs/brooks are chars. Lot of genetic differences there for hybridization. Not challenging, just curious. Love to see docs on that.

I fished pretty much every foot of every trout stream in N GA and never caught or saw a "Tiger" trout. Not saying they don't exist, just always thought them a folklore myth. I was no slouch at catching trout either. Wasn't any big thing to trifecta a good stream back when I was a kid. Browns were the hardest to find back then, specs were everywhere there was fast water. I always targeted the hold-overs and stream born, just because (as mentioned above), they were much very colorful and better tasting for sure.

From what i understand when they grow tigers in a hatchery they have to "heat shock" the eggs before fertilization. Has something to do with a brook and brown having a different number of chromosomes.... Not sure how it works in the wild tho. :huh:

jigman29

Caught this tiger trout about 5 years ago in a wild trout stream. It is the only one I've ever caught in the tens of thousands of trout that I have landed over the years. Most of the tiger trout I've heard of are small which made this one even more rare. It was around 14 ".
Jack

That's the stuff of legends right their. That would be the pinnacle of my fishing career.

Bream Pole

Jigman I appreciate that. I'm still in good shape except for the neuropathy in the legs. You can stick pins in them all the way from the bottom of the feet to the knees and I won't feel it. My feet aren't transmitting to my brain very accurately whats happening down there. Not noticeable when I walk to anyone but me. It causes me to proceed carefully getting in an out of my kayak or jon boat andto stay away from spaces requiring good stability. I'd rather wade and fish than fish any other way. I love it. Never used waders--water felt good. I quit it down here a long time ago because the little narrow black water creek I fished was getting too many cotton mouths and the small river nearby, the Ohoopee too many gators to suit me. Thanks again. Probably won't happen, but I sure appreciate the offer.

Anvil Head

Well there you go, Believe I've caught one or two myself (after looking at a bunch of pics). Just thought they were goofed up browns or lake trout - actually pretty much right when you think about it.
Went looking and was expecting to see tiger striped patterns but they look more lepordish to me. Thought it kind of funny that WA State Wildlife folks think it's male browns and female brookies, but most everyone else says just the opposite. Ahh the accuracy of govt. these days.....wish it was just limited to fish genetics.

Thanks for the enlightenment fellas, just didn't know what I was seeing at the time. Back then we ate them all....big family and a "Great Depression" Dad.

dgr416

I.just caught.a tiger trout should be a state record 24 inches 5.08'pounds .The dnr does not recognise them as a fish species but does the hybrids they make .This was a pure wild fish I am going to get it mounted .Hopefully.It.can be the new state record

burtontrout

I.just caught.a tiger trout should be a state record 24 inches 5.08'pounds .The dnr does not recognise them as a fish species but does the hybrids they make .This was a pure wild fish I am going to get it mounted .Hopefully.It.can be the new state record
Pictures or it didn't happen. :ROFLMAO:

The mtn man

In ga?????