Kenetic energy???

2bbshot

You ever played with any Simmons heads? I shot 125gr stingers on the same arrow as my 135gr tree shark and the sharks penetrate 10 in farther in a brand new big shot broadhead target all the way to the feathers. There bigger too but man it will cut.

Curvebow05

I haven't, they are on my list once I need to buy more though. They have too many people saying good things to be ignored.

Kris87

I'd agree heavier over light any day...however, I build my setups to give a good combination of speed and momentum depending on what I'm hunting and that's whitetails for me most of the time. Deer are relatively thin bodied animals and easy to shoot through. So I pick a combo that also allows me some error in distance judging or the animal ducking. Otherwise, most deer hunters would just be heading to the woods with moose setups.

Good discussion.

Kris87

My setup now is 440gr at 290fps. I also like to keep the speed there to help broadhead flight. That too can't be ignored. I've never shot a setup over 300fps in my life.

Curvebow05

Fixed blade broadheads get kinda funky over 295-300fps in my experience. I think 280-290fps is right where you want to be with an ideal "speedbow" setup with fixed blades.

2bbshot

I shoot the heaviest arrow that I can keep 270-280 fps. The big heads I like don't fly good at 300FPS. In my current bow its a 525 gr arrow. I shot a 425gr arrow and it shoot good I shot a 297 vegas round with it but its just tamer and more forgiving around 270-280. Its just what I like and my Hoyt like it more importantly.

2bbshot

I'd agree heavier over light any day...however, I build my setups to give a good combination of speed and momentum depending on what I'm hunting and that's whitetails for me most of the time. Deer are relatively thin bodied animals and easy to shoot through. So I pick a combo that also allows me some error in distance judging or the animal ducking. Otherwise, most deer hunters would just be heading to the woods with moose setups.

Good discussion.

Bows don't shoot flat no matter how fast they are. You have to know how far and use the correct pin or in my case move the sight. Makes no difference to the deer my tape goes to 90 yards and while I would never shoot a deer that far I shoot my target there all the time just like I did with a 425 gr arrow last year. I just feel like if I have to adjust the sight whats it matter? I put the shark in the goodies of a doe at 44 today. If UGA can win it will be a fine day!