Running, pt 2

1gr8bldr

Pondering over running. I can't run as of now due to an injury.... just thinking. Do long distance runners later in life ever have issues due to running to much?

95g atl

They claim that walking briskly is just as "effective" as running.

Running tends to be rough on joints and such when you get older AND if you have a few extra lbs on ya.

I ain't no DR or expert on the subject, but I would start off walking and see how that goes.

Just my two mexican peso's.

atlashunter

Don't know but seems like it could be hard on your joints and back as you get older. I've read that walking a distance burns about the same calories as running it, just takes longer.

1gr8bldr

I see people talk about 2k race and 10K etc. I think to myself that long distance has a negative effect at some point. It may be that extensive running does no harm.??? I myself would only want to run only to the point of building my lungs. I wonder what the lure is to long distance running? An acomplished goal. A test of one's endurance? Being able to say "I did so". Cause, LOL, to me, surely this ain't fun. I was the best long distance runner in my class growing up, but I wanted no part of it. Boring. I gladly left that trophy to someone else. I suppose I'm just questioning my assumptions, realizing that there must be something I am missing. For me, for my perspective, running is for exercise, requiring only 1 or 2 miles, or trying to get away from bigfoot

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Talked to a man this weekend who is 75 to 78 yrs old. I'm not sure how far he runs, but I know just a few yrs ago he did 10K's. He is still active working and doesn't look his age. So his running IMO has helped him not wore him out.
When I ran, I had less stress, overall felt & slept better. I guess it 'hurt' but felt good.

sinclair1

My half sister is a marathoner and she is concerned about bradycardia and some other potentially dangerous results that come from aging in prime condition.

As with anything, there's two sides of the arguement, but I am aging on the other side of super conditioning, so I have not researched it. :flag:

GONoob

I went from not being able to run 1/4 nonstop to running a half marathon in a little under 2 months. I was running 30-35 miles a week. While that sounds like a lot I was running 10 min/mi so it was nothing extreme I dont think. Since then I developed a weird strain behind my knee. It is crippling and I cant figure out whats going on. Got an MRI too, inconclusive. Less then a year after I have knee/ankle pain from time to time. I think I developed a bad form. Boy, do I miss running. I do want to start running again, but probably take it real easy now.

Booner Killa

I find it hard to believe personally that running can be bad for you. I would say mixing running with weight training a couple days/week is the best combo. Be smart about adding miles and you will be fine. Make sure you have good shoes and rotate a couple pairs. That combo will keep you young in my opinion with a high metabolism.

JohnK

It seems that most of the runners I've known sooner or later need new knees. In full disclosure, I need new knees and I never ran but lifted weights instead. I would think walking or biking would be the way to go long term.

joepuppy

Been running 4-5 times a week for about two years now. I've had a bad hip for a lot longer, but the running doesn't bother it at all. I still have to pass a physical fitness test to keep my job, so it helps me in more than one way. I've lost right at 80 lbs over the last two years though, combined with a better diet.

snookdoctor

If you are looking to increase cardio and pulmonary function, an exercise bike and or elliptical machine would accomplish your goals, with a much reduced impact/stress related injury risk.
Getting old ain't fun. Gotta workout smarter, not harder.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I went from not being able to run 1/4 nonstop to running a half marathon in a little under 2 months. I was running 30-35 miles a week. While that sounds like a lot I was running 10 min/mi so it was nothing extreme I dont think. Since then I developed a weird strain behind my knee. It is crippling and I cant figure out whats going on. Got an MRI too, inconclusive. Less then a year after I have knee/ankle pain from time to time. I think I developed a bad form. Boy, do I miss running. I do want to start running again, but probably take it real easy now.

my daughter runs cross country for a college in NC. She developed the same thing. We went thru PT, MRI's,Ultrasound and even had a doc want to do surgery to see was was going on....

Got her to a sports chiropractor. He found her tib/fib joint out of place, which put a weird twist in her knee every step she took. She saw him for about 9 weeks, every other week.

She is not back to her competitive self yet, from being off for so long, but she is improving her times every week, and running the 5k cross country without a lot of pain now.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
FWIW.... swimming is by far the easiest on the joints and works more muscle groups. 1 mile swimming = 4 miles running = 12 miles biking

01Foreman400

Staff member
I just enjoy running. It’s just a peaceful time for me. I run 2-3 days a week now and do the elliptical 4 days a week since it’s a little easier on your body. I still enjoy running the most though. Since I’ve incorporated calisthenics my times have gotten even better. I have a goal of a 5 something minute mile I’d like to reach. My last try I did a 6 minutes and 11 seconds but that was about 2 months ago. This was my last run.

Attachments

• 7D1AC02A-29AA-4A01-9DE0-C590093DC82D.jpg
    7D1AC02A-29AA-4A01-9DE0-C590093DC82D.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 81

1gr8bldr

I just enjoy running. It’s just a peaceful time for me. I run 2-3 days a week now and do the elliptical 4 days a week since it’s a little easier on your body. I still enjoy running the most though. Since I’ve incorporated calisthenics my times have gotten even better. I have a goal of a 5 something minute mile I’d like to reach. My last try I did a 6 minutes and 11 seconds but that was about 2 months ago. This was my last run.
Do you enjoy the way it effects you as far as giving you energy, etc.... or just enjoy the running itself. Dumb question, however my daughter acts giddy after exercise. It makes her feel better as a whole.

01Foreman400

Staff member
Do you enjoy the way it effects you as far as giving you energy, etc.... or just enjoy the running itself. Dumb question, however my daughter acts giddy after exercise. It makes her feel better as a whole.

Yes, physically and mentally.

Last edited: