Holy MOSQUITOES!! Dixon Mem. WMA

1stoutm5

So I rushed all day trying to prepare for a evening hunt tonight at Dixon memorial WMA. I got there and turned my therma cell on right away. Walked about 200 yards and probably had 200 mosquitoes on my arms fingers neck and legs. These things were something you would see out of Jurassic Park LOL. Is anyone else having similar problems? Also, should I double up and use some type of bug repellent as well along with my therma cell?

Mcrar

I got the same problem at Grandbay Wma there all over me walking to my stand but once i get settled in cut my therma cell on they dont bother me till i get down.

Curvebow05

I was eating them they were so bad here. First time in the woods and it was miserable. Until I got settled and the thermacell kept 99% of them at bay.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Them gallinippers will tote you away if you don`t take some serious defenses to fight em off.

Stump Shooter

I find a Thermacell, clothes treated with permanone, and bug spray on the skin and clothes if needed works. If the wind is in your favor it will not bother the deer.

whitetailfreak

I have owned a thermacell for about 15 years, and this is the first year I've ever needed it hunting my home turf here in the mountains. Mosquitoes usually don't bother me at all.

bullgator

A byproduct of Irma

Mudfeather

Had 2 tcells burning today and was still having a few bites. Never have they been like this around here

david c

I hear ya

think about all us older folks that hunted for 20 yrs without one ..... Thermacell made it a lot better.

markland

Down in Twiggs Co this weekend and do not remember them being so bad, not to mention there were multiple varieties of them. We are convinced a bunch blew in with Irma. You really could not slip around anywhere without a cloud attacking you and even with Thermacell running, it would take a minute for them to go away after you sat down, it was awful!

Bubba_1122

Clothes treated with permithrin (that's actually more for ticks).

Well positioned Thermacell with fresh pad and full butane is my goto skeeter plan.

rvick

We tried to track a wounded deer East of Douglas. No doubt the worst skeeters I've seen. Felt sorry for the dog. I filled her box with Wax Myrtle leaves. That helped some. They were the big ones biting thru my glove. Couldn't talk without eating one. Broke off a pine top to swat with. Used a half can of spray but they finally ran us out of the swamp. It was miserable. Guess the hurricane blew them in?