Gun purchase (non CC) question

Hey folks,

I recently moved back to Ga and no longer have a CC in the state.

I went 22 days ago to a Academy to purchase a 12g and was delayed on background. No big deal. Seems to have happened every purchase before getting a CC.

My question is, has anyone ever had a delay and the yes or no just never come back? Store tells me it expires after 30 days and I know the FBI doesn’t HAVE TO give an answer. Just odd. No criminal or record issues.

(And before the suggestion comes, I’m dropping my permit app tomorrow) :flag:

Last edited:

transfixer

I have no idea, I've always had a permit, so it hasn't been an issue for me, whatever you were trying to buy, call Cherokee gun and pawn, see if they carry it, and ask them about the delay thing, I would imagine they would know, they sell probably 10 times the amount of guns that a dozen Academy stores do.

killerv

When did it change to 30 days? It used to be 72 hours. The 30 day thing maybe a store policy. I know it makes you feel like a criminal, but delays are common.

I used to feel so bad for dads who came in last minute to get their kids a gun before christmas or a birthday, just to be delayed and not be able to take it home.

Somethings up if you waited 22 days, I know in the past, you could talk to them if the seller handed you the phone and they'd explain why you may be delayed...it maybe something you can clear up for future purchases. Sometimes its simply computer issues or they are just busy...but thats usually just a few hours...maybe a day delay.

We didn't sell a lot of junk and had a good clientele, a No was extremely rare...and most of them were folks who simply wanted to see if they could pass one because they had their doubts. A simple bar fight back in the day and a fine can cause you some issues. Only ever had one where we were contacted by law enforcement trying to catch a guy who received a No. We were instructed to contact the guy telling him he passed...although he didn't. Of course he never showed backup.

ssramage

I bought a gun at Academy last week. Even with my permit it was an EXTREMELY painful process. The process took over an hour from start to finish. I doubt I'll buy another from them. Much easier, and quicker, at my local gun store.

Jester896

Senior Clown
WoW! I think I did one in under 7 minutes the other day with WCL and DL.

I thought it was 72 as well. If you filled out the form wrong I think you have to wait 30 days.

ssramage

I thought it was 72 as well. If you filled out the form wrong I think you have to wait 30 days.

At Academy? If so that's impressive based on what I experienced...

Process was:
1. Show DL and carry permit.
2. Fill out paper form.
3. Go through Academy questionnaire on ipad.
4. Wait for associate to go find gun in back room.
5. Wait for manager to come and walk me through everything in the box and explain to me IN DETAIL that I am completely liable if I get hurt by that gun.
6. Manager walks my gun to the register at the front.
7. Wait in line at register.
8. Pay for gun finally.
9. Manager walks my gun out the door and hands it to me.

My local gunstore is 10 minutes MAX, they just didn't have the rifle I wanted that day. I'll special order next time before I think about going through that again at Academy.

transfixer

I have heard that, that if you checked the wrong box, put yes instead of no on one of those questions, that it could delay it or cause it to be denied, I've filled out plenty of them, and they always tell me to read " carefully " and make sure you check the right box, well, at least at the gun store they do.

biggdogg

If I know exactly what I want, I order it off of Gallery of Guns and pick it up at the LGS. Once they receive it, it takes less than 15 minutes to complete the process and walk out the door. And it's ALWAYS cheaper than Academy.

ryanh487

State law is 72 hours with no answer = cleared for sale.

Be sure to give your SS# and full name if you're going through a background check, it will be much faster.

Even if GA became a constitutional carry state, i would still renew my permit every 5 years just to avoid background check hassle and of course to carry in reciprocating states.

specialk

the background expires in 30 days per fbi....if you get put in delay and wait 31 days then you start over with new b/c........the 3 days are business days not counting the day of the check or fed. holidays......as far as getting a definite answer of proceed back , that would be negative....sometimes maybe/maybe not.....

Yeah the 30 day thing I mentioned is meaning the background check expires with the FBI.

Academy doesn’t follow the Brady Law of 3 days and don’t get a no, you can pick it up. Big company / big box store won’t do it.

Only reason I didn’t go to my local shop is they had a deal going on for what I wanted.

I called a couple of times to check with them and they say “it says open in the system so it’s being reviewed by someone.”

I asked, “do you guys have instances where you just never get an answer back either way?” They claim it happens from time to time so it looks like I just got unlucky this go around.

As soon as the 30 days is up, I’m headed to my local shop and expect to get a delay but be able to pick it up in 4 days.

And I’ll be waiting on good ol Gwinnett County to process the CC app. Who knows how long that is now a days. :banginghe:banginghe

killerv

I learned my lesson about buying from Academy when i thought I could pick up a gun they had on sale during a lunch break. It's got to be marked down pretty good for me to go through that again.

Khondker

Yeah the 30 day thing I mentioned is meaning the background check expires with the FBI.

Academy doesn’t follow the Brady Law of 3 days and don’t get a no, you can pick it up. Big company / big box store won’t do it.

Only reason I didn’t go to my local shop is they had a deal going on for what I wanted.

I called a couple of times to check with them and they say “it says open in the system so it’s being reviewed by someone.”

I asked, “do you guys have instances where you just never get an answer back either way?” They claim it happens from time to time so it looks like I just got unlucky this go around.

As soon as the 30 days is up, I’m headed to my local shop and expect to get a delay but be able to pick it up in 4 days.

And I’ll be waiting on good ol Gwinnett County to process the CC app. Who knows how long that is now a days. :banginghe:banginghe

Three weeks maximum in Gwinnett. You will have it probably very soon.

cam88

Before I had my carrying permit I would get the delay stamped on my application but it would be resolved in a couple of days. Spend the money and get a carrying permit and it will cut the wait time down. I've bought several firearms from academy and it didn't take but like 15 min.

GunnSmokeer

Stack 'em Up, did you give your SSN?

I'm generally a privacy advocate, but I would give my SSN in this case, if not bypassing the instant check, to prevent (or minimize the risk of) some dude with the same or similar name who DOES have a mental or criminal disqualifier messing up my background check.

Latest posts