2003 Prarie 650 (whit’s end please help)

I have a prarie 650 that will not start. It will turn over but does not start. I recently took it to the shop to have it fixed but I wasn’t going to pay $1400 to fix a $2500 4wheelr. They told me it was the fuel tank sending unit, so I ordered one off of eBay. I swapped the fuel tank and it still won’t start. I’ve also pulled the spark plugs. I’m also not very mechanically inclined, just trying save some cash.

I’m assuming if the fuel pump was working it would shoot out fuel while it was connected but does not.

The engine will fire with starter fluid.

Any help will be much appreciated and thanks in advance.

rospaw

Is the Fuel pump getting power ? If so is it pumping? (unhook fuel line going to carb, hold line in container, turn key on and see if it pumps fuel out)
If fuel is pumping and has spark the my bet is on dirty/clogged carb.

Unhooked the line and nothing is coming from the tank to the carb. It’s doing that with the new tank also. The old tank was all gummed up. I’m starting to think the used one I got is also bad.

Thanks

rospaw

Unhooked the line and nothing is coming from the tank to the carb. It’s doing that with the new tank also. The old tank was all gummed up. I’m starting to think the used one I got is also bad.

Thanks

Check Power to the pump.?? (wires going to tank/pump with the key ON)

rospaw

Check Power to the pump.?? (wires going to tank/pump with the key on.

Can I use a regular ohm meter to do that, if so how?

Needs to have VOLTS. DC volts. Hook blk/ground lead from meter to (-) Neg on battery. Probe with the red lead to the plug coming from the pump/tank. When you replaced the tank you had to unplug some wires. Those are the ones you want to probe with the red lead of your meter.
A 12v test light would work the best. Cheap great tool to have!
Take a pic of the meter if your not sure and we can help you use it.

Needs to have VOLTS. DC volts. Hook blk/ground lead from meter to (-) Neg on battery. Probe with the red lead to the plug coming from the pump/tank. When you replaced the tank you had to unplug some wires. Those are the ones you want to probe with the red lead of your meter.
A 12v test light would work the best. Cheap great tool to have!
Take a pic of the meter if your not sure and we can help you use it.

I had it set on 20v on DC. Picture attached. The wires going to fuel pump were +/- 12 but the wires on the pump were 5 +/-

Attachments

• C5DF62C1-03D9-47AB-A2AC-F205A2787E71.jpg
    C5DF62C1-03D9-47AB-A2AC-F205A2787E71.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 120

rospaw

The wires going to fuel pump were +/- 12 but the wires on the pump were 5 +/-

Same wire right? Just unplugged u get 12v but plugged up it drops to 5v ? ( not .5 volts?)
Now you have to check Ground wire going to the pump if it has one. If not you have to touch the metal pump case to find the ground. (doubt it is like this but might be)
Hook red + lead up to battery + and use the black lead to check ground at the pump and plug.

Can you get just the pump in hand and hook it up to 12 to see if it spins?

oh, meter is good at 20vdc

rospaw

Pulled pump out of tank and it does nothing?

pump is on the bottom of that assembly. You still have the old one? Or is that it?
Are you using the plug from harness or using straight leads from battery? I would try battery but watch sparks! Do it away from ANY gas fumes.
Might try some carb cleaner sprayed in both the in and out put. Start with out put and see if any crud comes out the input.

rospaw

That pump should come off pretty easy. Spray it and blow it out if you have comp air then check it.

That pump should come off pretty easy. Spray it and blow it out if you have comp air then check it.

I did that earlier today but i did find a fuel pump on amazon for $18 so i'm gonna give it a shot. That we'll be here Tuesday and i'll get back with you once i install it.

I just want to say thanks for the help, I've really appreciated it.