How long is a Creation day?

welderguy

Just a thought but isn't the earth's rotation timed perfectly so that the earth doesn't overheat from too much exposure to the sun?In other words,wouldn't the earth be like the flaming marshmallows that I roast over the campfire,if the length of days and seasons were a lot longer during creation?

apoint

Just a thought but isn't the earth's rotation timed perfectly so that the earth doesn't overheat from too much exposure to the sun?In other words,wouldn't the earth be like the flaming marshmallows that I roast over the campfire,if the length of days and seasons were a lot longer during creation?

The whole universe is perfectly timed beyond our comprehension. The wonders of creation is GODS signature.................

ryanh487

:D
The more interesting question IMO is whether or not animals have souls??

Neither animals nor humans HAVE souls, they are souls. Soul = body + breath (spirit of life). Humans are naturally mortal and God alone is immortal, which is why the penalty of sin is to perish, permanent death, vs the reward of righteousness is eternal, transformed life.

The more interesting question IMO is whether or not animals have souls??

The Hebrew word ‘neʹphesh’ and the Greek word ‘psy·kheʹ is translated soul in English.

Lev. 24:17,18: “In case a man strikes any soul [Hebrew, neʹphesh] of mankind fatally, he should be put to death without fail. And the fatal striker of the soul [Hebrew, neʹphesh] of a domestic animal should make compensation for it, soul for soul.� [Notice that the same Hebrew word for soul is applied to both mankind and animals.]

Revelation 16:3 (ASV) And the second poured out his bowl into the sea; and it became blood as of a dead man; and every living soul died, [even] the things that were in the sea.

Revelation 16:3 (KJV) And the second angel poured out his vial upon the sea; and it became as the blood of a dead man: and every living soul died in the sea.

Animals have the same spirit too.
Eccl. 3:19: “There is an eventuality as respects the sons of mankind and an eventuality as respects the beast, and they have the same eventuality. As the one dies, so the other dies; and they all have but one spirit [Hebrew, ruʹach].� [Thus both mankind and beasts are shown to have the same ruʹach, or spirit too.]

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
A creation day = 16 hours.
God is on salary so no overtime. He rested a little and when to work again the next morning.
He did all of this for us. I think he still works 16 hours a day minimum. 6 days a week.

Hope this helps.

My dog has a beautiful soul. Kind hearted 100%

welderguy

A creation day = 16 hours.
God is on salary so no overtime. He rested a little and when to work again the next morning.
He did all of this for us. I think he still works 16 hours a day minimum. 6 days a week.

Hope this helps.

My dog has a beautiful soul. Kind hearted 100%

Huh?:huh:

Oh.OK. you're from Tallahassee...that explains it. :rofl:

Artfuldodger

Why did God rest on the Seventh day? I'm assuming it means he ceased not that he actually rested. It's not like he was wore out.

Why do you reckon he broke creation down into literal days like he did? He could have made everything in one day or one second.
Was he using time for us? Creating a Sabbath?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Mk 2:27

Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.

He made is as an example of our routine and life. Work six days, rest one day and regard it as holy. You see the same thing in the 6 years of planting, and one year of Shemitah. God has always led by example, and He was doing it from day one.

BanjoPicker

The 7 days

I find it saddening that we believe in a God that is infinite, omnipotent, and omnipresent, but find it so difficult to believe that He could possibly create the earth in 7 literal days just because atheist say it's silly.

The 7 day week is based on creation. There is no natural time period for it. The 7th day sabbath is based on Creation, and God meant the literal 7th day "as he had rested and made it holy", not "to symbolize that long period of time that i metaphorically described". I think the "and it was morning and it was evening" clearly and distinctly defines a 24 hour period, and I don't think it's any stretch of faith or logic to assume that our God is capable of such.

Ryan you are right the seven days are 24 hours same as our time.

Artfuldodger

Mk 2:27

Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.

He made is as an example of our routine and life. Work six days, rest one day and regard it as holy. You see the same thing in the 6 years of planting, and one year of Shemitah. God has always led by example, and He was doing it from day one.

So the seven day/seven year plan was presented or given in creation to give us an example of our own lives? The weekly schedule of work 6 and rest/worship 1.
I can see this.

There is a lot of the use of the number "7" in the Bible.
In all, the number 7 is used in the Bible more than seven hundred times

What do you call biblical examples of predestined events like this and the Ark/flood? Types, shadows, mirrors?

Last edited:

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Creation Day =7000yrs/ (1000 yrs=1day) >\< (1 day=1000 yrs) subtract first 4 days of creation / 360 days per prophetic year / number of years with 2 Blood Moons ( must be visible in Israel) - 70 a.d. +\- a couple of days will get you close.

hobbs27

Creation Day =7000yrs/ (1000 yrs=1day) >\< (1 day=1000 yrs) subtract first 4 days of creation / 360 days per prophetic year / number of years with 2 Blood Moons ( must be visible in Israel) - 70 a.d. +\- a couple of days will get you close.

That's funny!!! Unfortunately true for some folks but I think this is Babylon Bee material in the making! :biggrin3:

Bama4me

Why did God rest on the Seventh day? I'm assuming it means he ceased not that he actually rested. It's not like he was wore out.

Why do you reckon he broke creation down into literal days like he did? He could have made everything in one day or one second.
Was he using time for us? Creating a Sabbath?

It would seem the Bible would answer "to create a pattern for the COI to follow in ordering their week".

On the original post, it's amazing how many contradictions and issues that people raise when they will simply reject what God's word says. A number of answers against this absurd view have been well presented in this thread.

ryanh487

So the seven day/seven year plan was presented or given in creation to give us an example of our own lives? The weekly schedule of work 6 and rest/worship 1.
I can see this.

There is a lot of the use of the number "7" in the Bible.
In all, the number 7 is used in the Bible more than seven hundred times

What do you call biblical examples of predestined events like this and the Ark/flood? Types, shadows, mirrors?

The prophets also tell us that Sabbath is kept in heaven, and that the 10 commandment law is the law of heaven that existed before earth, not a set of rules created just for man. The commandments issued in stone were a reminder to his people who had forgotten how to follow him, not a new concept. Cain knew murder was wrong, even the foreign king in Abraham's time knew it was a sin to sleep with Abraham's wife even though Abraham thought him to be godless, and Joseph said sleeping with Potipher's wife would be a sin against God. There are many other examples. God made us in His image and gave us the instruction to live in this earth with the same guiding principles that we will have in heaven.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
re:

A Creation day might be defined as 'whatever period of time God needed to do what He needed to do on that particular day'.

I'm good with that! He is God!

LittleDrummerBoy

I find it saddening that we believe in a God that is infinite, omnipotent, and omnipresent, but find it so difficult to believe that He could possibly create the earth in 7 literal days just because atheist say it's silly.

The 7 day week is based on creation. There is no natural time period for it. The 7th day sabbath is based on Creation, and God meant the literal 7th day "as he had rested and made it holy", not "to symbolize that long period of time that i metaphorically described". I think the "and it was morning and it was evening" clearly and distinctly defines a 24 hour period, and I don't think it's any stretch of faith or logic to assume that our God is capable of such.

Six. The Bible says creation occurred in 6 days.

marketgunner

the reason you disagree is because

1) you don't understand Hebrew

or

2) you are intellectually dishonest.

Outside of Genesis 1 and 2,every time, and I do mean each and every time, in the Bible, when the word yom (day) is mentioned with the term evening and morning, it means a literal 24 hour day.

Why would it be different in Genesis 1 and 2?

Answer..... it wouldn't.

Now you may not believe God did it in 6 equal 24 hour days, but that the writer meant for it to be understood that way is absolutely correct.

but YOM is also used as in the "day of our Lord" quoted by Jesus. it is clearly not a Day but an "age" or period of time"

if God could have created All in an instant, (which we all agree), why did it take so long?
What was the purpose of 7 days ot 7 ages?

Spineyman

the reason you disagree is because

1) you don't understand Hebrew

or

2) you are intellectually dishonest.

Outside of Genesis 1 and 2,every time, and I do mean each and every time, in the Bible, when the word yom (day) is mentioned with the term evening and morning, it means a literal 24 hour day.

Why would it be different in Genesis 1 and 2?

Answer..... it wouldn't.

Now you may not believe God did it in 6 equal 24 hour days, but that the writer meant for it to be understood that way is absolutely correct.

You are correct. It is also the perfect model of our work week.

Exodus 20:9-11

9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
He could have done it in the blink of an eye but chose to model it for our week that He set up for us!

rjcruiser

Interesting....this debate comes back up.

I'll ask the same question I always do....How old was Adam when he died? If his days/years were the same as the rest of the OT folks in Genesis 5, would it prove that the days of the creation account were the same?

It's amazing how people will say they believe in an infinite omnipotent God and then try and handicap His omnipotent powers to explain that which liberal science says is true but can't prove.

GeorgiaBob

OK guys, I'll throw my 2 cents in here.

The first TWO creation stories in Genesis are holy, and wholly, poetry. In ancient Hebrew (as written and spoken post Babylon and before the Roman occupation) both stories follow a build up of cadence with one additional beat per line, then reverses the cadence with one less beat per line. Both creation stories (the first Genesis 1,1 through 2,3 and the second Genesis 2, 4B through 2, 25) tell of the origin of humanity, but in very different ways. The first creation story is a "stand alone" complete in itself. The second story is just the first verse of a very long opera.

The second version of creation actually segues into the "Garden" and humanity's almost immediate fall from grace. Consider the garden as verse two of the second song of our creation. More verses follow, reciting the important stories of the people, and key names from the early generations. It is a long and "wandering" opera, beautiful, tearful, heartrending. A careful reader might even think that the first creation story, and it's "seven days" was something different placed in front of the "real" story of Genesis. And that careful reader might be right. I am not going to address the second story, just the first.

The first story of creation, very determinedly cites the cosmic history of all of creation. Note that the story dates to at least 1,200 BC (perhaps earlier) and there is no evidence of any modern cosmology (outside of this story) in that epoch of human history, yet the sequence of events described in Genesis 1 corresponds to our "modern" understanding of developmental sciences. The Big Bang vs. "a formless void" and "a wind from God swept over," culminating with God expressing, "Let there be light." From the Bang, to coalescing matter into planetary bodies, from the first organic life, to plants and animals, to a final development of sentient life, the "modern" theory has a corresponding reference (poetic license allowed), asserted IN proper modern order, in the first Genesis story.

How does a primitive people with an understanding of their world that is literally flat - having a physical underworld and some kind of "plumbing" to get the water back up to the "dome" of the sky so it can rain again - manage to get the cosmology in the right order? The answer to that question is much more important to our understanding of God, than putting a stopwatch on day three!

The answer to, "How long is a creation day?" is only relevant in relation to asking how our primitive ancestors knew the truth about the creation of the universe.

The very human people who wrote the many pieces that became the Bible, (and some think that the composers of both creation stories were women in David's or Solomon's court) were all trying to tell about humanity's relationship with God, about God's steadfast love, about human failings, and about the fact that for everything we do wrong - God has the faith in us to help us make it right. The first creation story is NOT about ticks of a clock, or days as we know them. The story is about how we came to be, WHO we came to be, and Who's we came to be.

As a tiny but very real point of order, the "day" was shorter (by a very tiny bit) 3,000 years ago, and even shorter 6,000 years ago. Some very qualified cosmologists could even explain all the physics involved, but the spin of the Earth is slowing down and days are now longer than they used to be. That means for anyone who wants to argue God took just one day to complete each of the tasks of the six "days" - I have to ask, How long was that day?

Personally, I am very comfortable with the understanding that faulty humans, inspired by a perfect Creator, wrote, edited, redacted, rewrote, assembled, translated, re-translated, and printed the Bible. I do not see any conflict between "inspired" but faulty - and perfect Biblical Truth. Poetry does not attempt to dictate details of history, but it can sometimes MUCH more effectively relay Truth. The inspired word is truth told to your heart and soul.

Please, do not get hung up on whether the Hebrew word for the passing of time, a word often used to define a day but sometimes used to describe an era, was used as a literal sunset to sunset "day" or something else. That is NOT what God is saying to your soul.