Red Dot

1gr8bldr

So far, I have found that the red dot inspires confidence.... and yet it does not..... With a good prop, extremely good, you feel like you could hit anything, perfect. The dot stable, the gun way capable of putting it behind the dot, you pull off the trigger knowing it is where it should be. However, without a good prop, the open sights don't reveal how much your moving so you squeeze off without realizing, unwarranted confidence. With the red dot, without a good prop, it reveals how much your moving, it becomes hard to pull the trigger. As if you just can't get it to stop moving.... The terrible trigger of the glock type triggers make it worse. The travel is so much that it seems impossible to make a good shot.... Yet, if you then focus on the iron sights, you have no problem. It's as if you don't try, after having watched the red dot, as if your not expecting perfect. so I guess it boils down to the red dot, you know you can hit perfect, if you could hold it still, the iron sights, as if you don't expect to hit perfect so you don't even try to that degree.

ThatredneckguyJamie

I too have found this to be true...my brother made a spinning target with steel plates, shooting with the red dot seems so much easier hitting the moving targets. However, shooting at a 6" circle at 50 yards...I feel like its all over the place and I have to really relax and use a good prop

Bluemoose

I just changed from a 2-7 scope to a Dot on my Super Blackhawk Hunter. I used red dots on my unlimited guns shooting IPSC and I loved them. They make for a quick acquisition on target and fast follow up shots. I used one on a Mini-14 at rifle matches and would usually win with that set up. Put the dot where you want to hit and go for it.

Apex Predator

An upgrade to your Glock trigger can make a big difference for you.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I expect that you were moving just as much with the iron sights. It was just not as noticeable to you.

Movement with a pistol is OK so long as the alignment is good. If the alignment is good, you only move at the target as much as you move at your hand and that ain't much. Having a front and rear allows you to be confident with the alignment.

How's that for a theory?

1gr8bldr

We have pistols without red dot and shot the same gun side by side yesterday that did not have red dot. I love mine. And with the addition of my new drop in trigger..... super sweet. I did not have many rounds so I did not want to be sighting in, so I just got it close. 100 yds my red dot never leaves a 5 inch metal gong through out the trigger travel/pull. Awesome trigger. Travel still there but 3lbs is sweet. I will order more bullets, and hope to reload soon, and will fine tune the sights. Even while moving my sights, not knowing how much or little to turn, and going the wrong way once, 6 shots were all in a 7inch circle at 100yds. Smoked a doe at 15yds and one at 60yds. Both deer were found within 40 yds however blood did not start until 20+ yards. A little fine tuning, a few practice shoots, a good rest, 100yds will be easy. I would never try it open sights or standard trigger.... or without a perfect prop

Last edited:

1gr8bldr

Shot 2 more does this weekend. Shot one at 20yds, pulled up into the shoulder trying to drop her in her tracks so she would not run off in a thicket. She never even kicked. Shot another at 74 yards. She went 35 yds. So that's 4 so far this year. The Underwood 180xtp is doing the job. However, blood does not start until 20 yards so you need to pay close attention to which way they go. I can't edit but maybe I can get my son to edit the videos to post to youtube. All four kills were filmed, and I got some really good bucks showing off for the camera

frankwright

Yes, post the link to the videos or embed them here.
You and the G40 are getting along good. I have not been deer hunting with mine lately but with my .41 Magnum I always shot for the base of the neck/high shoulder and most never took a step.

1gr8bldr

I caried my son's Glock 20 yesterday so he could carry my Glock 40 to a stand where he had been filming some good bucks in a food plot. Mine being so much better for longer range. Mine at a 100yds with the red dot makes you think you can't miss, his at 100yds makes you think you would have a hard time sighting at a truck with those awful sights. So, still on my doe thinning plan, yesterday evening, I'm taking aim at a doe at 15yds, with a prop. I get frustrated because I can't do it. My eyes at my age with those sights, the sights are just a blur. I'm trying to line things up, trying to get the center post the right height, centered, half the deer covered up, I simply hate it. 15 yds and I'm spending a full minute of frustration. I then decide that I will never have a hold that I would have confidence in compared to my red dot, so I give up on the perfect aim and pull the trigger. The last time I hunted this stand I purposely pulled up high in the shoulder to drop her in her tracks, confident that I could hit her exactly where I wanted to, with ease, and she did not even kick. Well, with this gun, I should have never even shot. She ran off, and as I have stated, this bullet does not show blood until after 20+ yards, and she went off through a briar thicket that only a rabbit could penetrate. I never found blood, never found the deer after rambling through the briars in the dark. Watching the video, I'm not sure i hit her. Moral of the story, if your near 50 like me, the red dot is the only way to go. The red dot seemingly is on the target, not the gun. There is zero focus issues. Low light of a box house makes no difference. Your target is not half covered so you don't move it back in forth looking for half way. The guns are so much handicapped by the post sights. With a red dot, they are so much better than I ever realized. You got time..... ask for a Venom viper 3 mil red dot for Christmas. This is the first one I ever owned and I love it. A self defense gun, to me is a point gun, so I would not need it with my eyesight, however, an aim gun.... the red dot makes it so easy.

1gr8bldr

There are some really cheap one's on Amazon, like $35. I may try one on another gun just to see if they are comparable. So cheap, is almost worth a gamble?. They are seemingly larger in the picture, that's a negative. They say the difference is in the glass, but honestly I can't tell the difference in a Ziess scope compared to a Tasco. I will say that one of the reasons I chose the Viper, is the larger glass view and the easy access to the battery. I had heard that the battery life was not good however I have left mine on so many times that I can't believe it's still going. I did buy extra batteries to have on hand for when it does go out. I'm not sure if I would just buy the good one I know works or gamble on a cheap one???? Anybody tried one of the cheap ones? If somebody does, please give us a review

1gr8bldr

Don't buy a 6mil. The dot will cover up to much of your target. Get the 3mil