Bad Camping Neighbors

LTZ25

Had camper at little River on Sinclar for last 2 years , my nieghbor' we're party folks in there 40's , load music til 1-2 a m some nights but they were so nice to us I couldn't get upset . I myself have been known to have a drink at camper but when I do I'm quite and out by 10:00 .

Dr. Strangelove

My friends and I have probably been the "bad camping neighbors" more often than not, lol. We've calmed down a bit in our middle age, though....:fine:

one hogman

The State parks in Ga. have been pretty good overall but I have had to get the Federal Warden to stop noise at a campsite at Corp of engineers on Lanier, dogs barking , loud talking laughing late at night. A lot of folks just don't respect others .period.

Artfuldodger

I went with a group one time that literally hollered from 12am to 1:30am.
I should have awakened at 6 and returned the favor. I wish I could play the bugle.

#1. A dog. Tied on a 6ft leash to a tree. Left to stand there and bark endlessly and making me wonder if the dog is electric because he obviously isnt breathing between barks...and the owners apparently can't hear it.

#2. Kids whom have parents that don't watch them or care that they are climbing the trees that overhang our camp and dropping leaves/sticks/debris into our camp. Or riding bikes and let them just drop them on the ground in front of our tent/campfire and expect us to walk around them.

#3. Neighbors who are up late/loud and the first up in the AM being loud again.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I remembered an incident that happened a few years back. There was a fishing group/family camped adjacent to us. They pretty much fished and cleaned fish constantly. Not a problem there. One guy in the bunch felt the need to curse and curse loudly and in the most profane manner possible in every sentence he spoke. We had one of our grand-kids who was about 4 with us at that time. I am quite sure he heard words and phrases that were new to him.

I approached their camp and spoke to this fellow and told him nicely that I did not appreciate his choice of language in front of my grandson. He apologized and turned down the volume enough that we couldn't hear him after that.

T-N-T

Like this???

IMG_20170415_220349.jpg

T-N-T

Smack dab in the middle of Jekyll island Campground.

I did hang out for a few minutes though

;)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
To be fair, a few thoughts from the other angle:

A: Commercial/public campgrounds pack people on top of each other a lot closer than they would really like to be in most cases. Their rules are usually geared mostly toward placating old, boring, grumpy people. :D

B: People usually go camping for one reason: to have fun and enjoy themselves.

C: Most peoples' idea of "fun" does not include being quiet as a mouse all the time and going to bed at dark.

D: For some folks, a camping trip is their only opportunity to catch up with old friends, or maybe just unwind from a week at a stressful job or some such. For them, their idea of enjoying themselves may be sitting up until 2AM around the fire, talking, picking guitars, having a few beers, or whatever. That's why they're there.

E: If you're the type who wants total silence in a public campground, always goes to bed at dark, expects the whole world to behave exactly the same, and constantly complains and calls the law on everybody who doesn't act exactly like you do; then you may be just as bad of a camping neighbor as the 2AM campfire talkers, because you are keeping them from enjoying themselves. And you are probably in the minority.

Sometimes, I'm the guy who wants peace and quiet, and not to be bothered by anybody. Sometimes, I'm the guy sitting there drinking and picking a guitar and singing by the fire at 2AM. In both of those cases, I generally try to avoid public and commercial campgrounds. :)

T-N-T

NCH speaks words of truth

This weekend I was getting away from stress levels higher than usual. I was consuming copious amounts of alcohol, and blowing off steam. The music and singing that could be heard from every corner of the campground was not a bother to me but a reason to load beer on the golf cart and join In a while.

There were at least 30 of us that felt the need to do the same.

I just had the benefit of sleeping a bed in the AC rather than a tent when I had to over my headache.

blondiega1

We've only had once where someone cut through our site, but a quick conversation regarding camping etiquette and 3 large barking dogs (our 2 and our friend's) cured that problem.

As far as noise goes, we had some folks with teen daughters a couple of sites down from us that has disco lights and music going past quiet hours, but they kept it down for the most part so we saw no need to complain about it. But then, we don't hear much inside our "tent".

394827_zps1erzzcea.jpg

PappyHoel

I never understood the let's leave the city where we live on top on each other to go to a camping area where everyone is on top of each other. Then complain about it. With that said most of the city dweller camp grounds have bed time rules for folks to follow.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
We got 50ty acres and we have a camp about 400 yds from the house. Got a camper there. Fire pit. Power. Water. Septic.
Lols. We got it going on.

Oldstick

To be fair, a few thoughts from the other angle:

A: Commercial/public campgrounds pack people on top of each other a lot closer than they would really like to be in most cases. Their rules are usually geared mostly toward placating old, boring, grumpy people. :D

B: People usually go camping for one reason: to have fun and enjoy themselves.

C: Most peoples' idea of "fun" does not include being quiet as a mouse all the time and going to bed at dark.

D: For some folks, a camping trip is their only opportunity to catch up with old friends, or maybe just unwind from a week at a stressful job or some such. For them, their idea of enjoying themselves may be sitting up until 2AM around the fire, talking, picking guitars, having a few beers, or whatever. That's why they're there.

E: If you're the type who wants total silence in a public campground, always goes to bed at dark, expects the whole world to behave exactly the same, and constantly complains and calls the law on everybody who doesn't act exactly like you do; then you may be just as bad of a camping neighbor as the 2AM campfire talkers, because you are keeping them from enjoying themselves. And you are probably in the minority.

Sometimes, I'm the guy who wants peace and quiet, and not to be bothered by anybody. Sometimes, I'm the guy sitting there drinking and picking a guitar and singing by the fire at 2AM. In both of those cases, I generally try to avoid public and commercial campgrounds. :)

I agree 100%. I would have no problems with the crowd in T&T's picture, as long as they invited us over too. :)

Only time I ever had a problem in 50+ years was when a big crowd (much older and presumably wiser than that I might add), refused to allow us to have space we paid for, just because it was nearby the space they always reserved for an annual gathering.

I don't mind some noise and we never expect the 10:00 curfew to be strictly enforced. Why even go camping if folks aren't allowed to sit outside as long as they want?