Serious Question

TexasRed45

I've been thinking about getting a lab pup for the past several years now, and I've always put it off seeing as I am in college right now and between school and work I just don't have enough time to devote to a pup. But as of right now I am in my last semester of school, and thinking very seriously about bringing a pup onboard before I graduate and begin working full time and most importantly while I've got the time. My only concern is that right now I am living in an apartment in smyrna, and I would hate to confine a puppy to an apartment. Obviously I would take having a pup very seriously, and I would make sure to get him to a place to run everyday and train. But, I'm just not quite sure.
I know I'm not real well known on here, but any of y'all got any tips or words of wisdom? Any sort of help would be greatly appreciated, I would hate to wrong a perfectly good dog.

Rabun

I've been thinking about getting a lab pup for the past several years now, and I've always put it off seeing as I am in college right now and between school and work I just don't have enough time to devote to a pup. But as of right now I am in my last semester of school, and thinking very seriously about bringing a pup onboard before I graduate and begin working full time and most importantly while I've got the time. My only concern is that right now I am living in an apartment in smyrna, and I would hate to confine a puppy to an apartment. Obviously I would take having a pup very seriously, and I would make sure to get him to a place to run everyday and train. But, I'm just not quite sure.
I know I'm not real well known on here, but any of y'all got any tips or words of wisdom? Any sort of help would be greatly appreciated, I would hate to wrong a perfectly good dog.

My opinion would be to wait. You have a lot going on right now and honestly a pup might complicate things. You'll know when the time for a pooch is right... It's good you're asking these questions...I know several recent grads that rescued dogs and just don't have time for them or the proper place/home for them and the dog suffers. Wait until you get your full time job and see what that presents you with. I have no doubt you would provide the pup with a wonderful home...

Michael F Sights

IMO, I would wait. When I got out of school got the offer I couldn't resist & had to travel 5 days a week but give my Golden to a great friend & family. It was hard.
Also, I really think pups need a house not a apartment but again just my opinion.

Have a good friend who got a GSP in an apartment and planned to do "so much" with the dog. Poor guy is lucky to get more than a 30min walk a day and is stuck in the house all day because she is a teacher and can't come home during the day.

across the river

Getting your first dog is much like (your wife) having your first kid, you are never anywhere near as prepared for it as you think you are. My advice, like the others on here, is to wait. Get yourself out of school and settled first, then you can worry about getting a dog. An apartment is no where for a lab, in my opinion.

TexasRed45

I appreciate all of the responses folks! The hard truth isn't always the easiest to take, but whats right isn't always easy!

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I have a younger friend, son of a longtime friend, who while at UGA, trained an EP. He had the time and inclination to train it right. The dog repaid his effort with the ability to sit in a dove field, broken to wing and shot, take a line, stop on whistle, sit facing the owner, and take hand signals. He uses it duck hunting, sits out of water on a deer stand, and does great on quail. You may never have a better time to train a dog. The apartment is a limiting factor. My friend had the advantage of renting a house and wasn't in an apartment. Gil