Gutting a hog with gloves?

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Hello y'all!!!
Sorry if this question seems silly to y'all but we're wanting to know. My knowledge of wild hogs is from waffle house or campfire stories so I'm interested in knowing the truth.
When I was younger I always heard to wear gloves if field dressing a wild hog. I don't remember why they said that...or if they even knew what they were talking about.

Any way fast forward 20 years and now we've suddenly got some hogs poppin up on trail cams at the club everywhere and we even seen some during musket weekend.

So we're very interested in getting one if the oppurtunity presents itself again.
And we were just dicussing that old saying about the gloves while handeling wild hogs and none of us really know if or why.

So could y'all knowledgable ones on this situation please chime in and advise us if rubber/latex gloves are a must if we decide to field dress a wild hog and why?

Thanks very much y'all!!!!! And best of luck to ya!!!:flag::cool:

fishtail

https://www.cdc.gov/brucellosis/index.html

Brucellosis is an infectious disease caused by bacteria.

People can get the disease when they are in contact with infected animals or animal products contaminated with the bacteria. Animals that are most commonly infected include sheep, cattle, goats, pigs, and dogs, among others

People who hunt animals may also be at risk. When they are in contact with infected animals, exposure to the bacteria may occur through:

skin wounds
accidentally ingesting undercooked meat
inhaling the bacteria while dressing their game. Commonly infected animals include: bison, elk, caribou, moose and wild hogs (feral swine).

leoparddog

Just don't gut them. Look on YouTube for some videos. Basically, cut the hams off, unzip their spine and remove the loin and disjoint the front shoulders and take them.

The ribs aren't worth it. Leave the guts inside, leave the hide on and toss the carcass in a hole and bury it. If you don't go into the body cavity, messing with the guts, organs, urine, feces etc, you reduce your exposure to stuff that can make you sick.

And wear gloves!! Maybe a garbage bag over your clothes and throw all of that away

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Just don't gut them. Look on YouTube for some videos. Basically, cut the hams off, unzip their spine and remove the loin and disjoint the front shoulders and take them.

The ribs aren't worth it. Leave the guts inside, leave the hide on and toss the carcass in a hole and bury it. If you don't go into the body cavity, messing with the guts, organs, urine, feces etc, you reduce your exposure to stuff that can make you sick.

And wear gloves!! Maybe a garbage bag over your clothes and throw all of that away

That's the way i do it too except i don't bother with front shoulders.
Be sure to do a tick check after cleaning the pork rat. They are usually covered with the little bloodsuckers.

hunterofopportunity

Be sure to do a tick check after cleaning the pork rat. They are usually covered with the little bloodsuckers.

Unless you are blowing the shoulders up with a missed placed shot you are throwing away some of the best meat. Shoulders have more flavor than hams to me, a shoulder roast with potatoes and carrots is excellent table fare.

Hillbilly stalker

Always----Always wear gloves cleaning a hog. There is no reason not too. They are very cheap and help protect you. Especially around the reproductive parts. Most every state has a warning about it in your rules and regs books. Most states will kill and test hogs every year and it always shows up. Gutless method or not.....wear gloves. Unless damaged I do not know why anyone would throw away the front shoulders. We had a man in our town die from brucellosis 2 years ago. He didn't wear gloves. It is often misdiagnosed . Personally I carry the yellow ones like women wash dishes with. They are tougher and 3 times as thick

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Thanks y'all!!!!!!!!!!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Wild hog is the only thing I wear gloves to clean. If you talk to someone who has had brucellosis, it doesn't sound like fun at all.

bany

We take hogs pretty serious. Killing,cleaning,and eating! Wear gloves,watch the genitals,liquids etc. the big no no is you having open wounds. Don’t be shy with peroxide or alcohol. eat the whole pig!

Blackston

When I worked for a
Hog outfitter we used to feild dress em in the marsh no gloves
I must have nicked my hand one time I get violently sick for about 2 weeks and lost about 15 pounds ( no one around me ever caught it ) I think it was some kind of bacteria Be careful its gloves all the time for me

groundhawg

Lots of good advise from others but I like your idea of using a garbage bag like a poncho. Will have to add those to my kit.

Last edited:

red neck richie

Always----Always wear gloves cleaning a hog. There is no reason not too. They are very cheap and help protect you. Especially around the reproductive parts. Most every state has a warning about it in your rules and regs books. Most states will kill and test hogs every year and it always shows up. Gutless method or not.....wear gloves. Unless damaged I do not know why anyone would throw away the front shoulders. We had a man in our town die from brucellosis 2 years ago. He didn't wear gloves. It is often misdiagnosed . Personally I carry the yellow ones like women wash dishes with. They are tougher and 3 times as thick

The percentages of coming in contact with an infected animal are slim. But like Hillbilly said gloves are cheap why take a chance?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve cleaned a lot without gloves, but as I’ve gotten older I do try to use them and as someone else mentioned the shoulders are the best eating on a wild hog , good luck , hope u get the chance to clean one !

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly

THIS^^ Nice and neat no gagging;) Cept GET THE SHOULDERS TOO!!

Yea Buddy!!:cool: A heavy Duty Garbage Bag packs small and works great; I carry 2.............And Gloves;)

Unless you are blowing the shoulders up with a missed placed shot you are throwing away some of the best meat. Shoulders have more flavor than hams to me, a shoulder roast with potatoes and carrots is excellent table fare.

My first kill with a #2 shot Turkey load cost me a shoulder, but I sure got the other one! Its my fave for sure!

At Harbour Freight they have perfect gloves that anyone should have at the house anyway.......try to get the 7mm, not the 5. Last time I was there they had the 9mm that were Black and tough, so I got those.

All that glove talk being said, you are simply taking a chance with or without them. I wore them last time but cut my palm somehow so I know I had pig blood in me.........I am fine. We have cleaned pigs for Years and never wore gloves...........even wiped blood on our faces on purpose, But Why NOT? When you are in the field and there is no water hose, you'd be glad to have them just for the clean factor.

Bream Pole

had a good friend here spend days in the hospital in Brunswick mis-diagnosed. Finally it came to light that he had cleaned a hog. Fortunately he didn't die and right treatment brought him through.
Wear cloves and good ones that won't tear and you not know it.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
chunk the disease ridden pests in a ditch and let the buzzards sort 'em out.

Have you eatin wild pig? I had sausage made from it for breakfast. We killed 3 the week of Halloween and had several different flavors made. Even summer sausage. I don't normally wear gloves cleaning wild pigs but after reading this thread I'll make sure to have some handy. I cut hams,shoulders and back straps off without field dressing.

Mexican Squealer

Have you eatin wild pig? I had sausage made from it for breakfast. We killed 3 the week of Halloween and had several different flavors made. Even summer sausage. I don't normally wear gloves cleaning wild pigs but after reading this thread I'll make sure to have some handy. I cut hams,shoulders and back straps off without field dressing.

I've eatin' plenty, yep taste good. I'd imagine I've trapped, shot, stuck, stabbed or tied well over 1,000 of the pesky vermin through the years. I see them as nothing but dike destroying, crop rooting, disease riddled pests that have and continue to cost me money.

Latest posts