The best argument for God

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
This strikes me as a convenient observation. WE could also say that wild turkeys are engaging in religious rituals, but the reality is they do that sorta thing when they are looking for love. This is a primitive instinct directly related to the survival of the species. Not sure about the chimps, but, I am thinking it's one of those "can't be this so must be this" type things......at first thought. I am open to reading more.

And that certainly is easy to conclude as you and I have never observed a single chimp in the wild let alone have spent years observing a family of chimps in the wild.

Fast foward a short 5 million years later and two of those chimps, one called jb0704 and another called bullethead are typing to each other about a couple of bonobos that hold hands and walk around a crooked stick every full moon...

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Relevant to deceased relatives becoming gods, it's an interesting thought, Bullet. Im going to have to ponder a while. In all honestly, I will not conclude it is correct, but, it is probably the best response to the question I have ever read.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Relevant to deceased relatives becoming gods, it's an interesting thought, Bullet. Im going to have to ponder a while. In all honestly, I will not conclude it is correct, but, it is probably the best response to the question I have ever read.
:cheers:

Even I continue to give a look up in the air and thank my grandmother, grandfather and even my mother in law when something that they have told me, taught me or an item that they have left for me has gotten me through the task at hand.
Do I honestly believe that they stepped in and actually did anything at that moment...no. But certainly they had an influence with what was told to me or given to me prior. But I can see how and why people truly believe a more almost devine influence actually stepped in to intercede.

My gram was an organized handywoman. She had dozens of old coffee cans and tins filled with with nuts, bolts screws, tacks, nails, hooks and any odds or ends you can think of. All seperated and labeled. She kept this stuff (and believe me when i tell you i have no idea how in the world she accumulated all these things because my Pop on that side was a Stamp collector and he was not the handy man type) in an outdoor metal shed with every gardening tool imaginable. I cannot tell you exactly how many times I am in the middle of a project and i need some oddball screw or nut or tool and a quick trip to my basement yields exactly what i need from Grams stash. "Thank you Grace, you saved my behind yet again" has been muttered a hundred times already.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

Do some research on how religions started and who was worshiped early on. It is fascinating reading.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
:cheers:

Even I continue to give a look up in the air and thank my grandmother, grandfather and even my mother in law when something that they have told me, taught me or an item that they have left for me has gotten me through the task at hand.
Do I honestly believe that they stepped in and actually did anything at that moment...no. But certainly they had an influence with what was told to me or given to me prior. But I can see how and why people truly believe a more almost devine influence actually stepped in to intercede.

My gram was an organized handywoman. She had dozens of old coffee cans and tins filled with with nuts, bolts screws, tacks, nails, hooks and any odds or ends you can think of. All seperated and labeled. She kept this stuff (and believe me when i tell you i have no idea how in the world she accumulated all these things because my Pop on that side was a Stamp collector and he was not the handy man type) in an outdoor metal shed with every gardening tool imaginable. I cannot tell you exactly how many times I am in the middle of a project and i need some oddball screw or nut or tool and a quick trip to my basement yields exactly what i need from Grams stash. "Thank you Grace, you saved my behind yet again" has been muttered a hundred times already.

Great story, Bullet. Funny that is was your Gram who was the handywoman......stories like that usually involve gramps.

I like to think and ponder the "ripples" we make. It's an amazing concept to me how our influence will trickle down for 100's of years. We are the product of our experiences, and those experiences are influenced directly by those we encounter, and the legacy we leave will continue on, regardless of whether or not we lived conscience of the fact. The whole concept influences so much of everything that I do.

I recently had to have a conversation with a few teachers about some negative "ripples." Each was certain, and rightly so, that the result was an unintended consequence of words taken very much out of context. I sympathized with them, but ultimately said "teachers, parents, and ministers make big splashes." They agreed, and were extremely helpful to the solution.

I am still turning over this idea of the deceased as gods. Unfortunately, I do not have any great positive influences who have passed on as far as relatives go. I have had some very close friends pass, a few in particular I'll "reach out to" from time to time, even though this is contradictory to my belief system (I seriously don't think they can hear me). It's interesting how and why we do the things we do.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Great story, Bullet. Funny that is was your Gram who was the handywoman......stories like that usually involve gramps.

I like to think and ponder the "ripples" we make. It's an amazing concept to me how our influence will trickle down for 100's of years. We are the product of our experiences, and those experiences are influenced directly by those we encounter, and the legacy we leave will continue on, regardless of whether or not we lived conscience of the fact. The whole concept influences so much of everything that I do.

I recently had to have a conversation with a few teachers about some negative "ripples." Each was certain, and rightly so, that the result was an unintended consequence of words taken very much out of context. I sympathized with them, but ultimately said "teachers, parents, and ministers make big splashes." They agreed, and were extremely helpful to the solution.

I am still turning over this idea of the deceased as gods. Unfortunately, I do not have any great positive influences who have passed on as far as relatives go. I have had some very close friends pass, a few in particular I'll "reach out to" from time to time, even though this is contradictory to my belief system (I seriously don't think they can hear me). It's interesting how and why we do the things we do.
I have been of the mindset that the afterlife is totally unknown as to if there is one and what it may be. I feel that even if I was lucky enough to live a healthy happy 100yrs it really is not a lot of time. Good, bad or otherwise my actions now will define me long after I am gone and I try to make as positive of an influence to my Sons, family and friends as I can. Hopefully the generations will be kind to my contributions.

I think it will be so cool to have my sons or their children go to the coffee cans of hardware and find just the right part needed to get them through a project. Thanks Grace.

Last edited:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
@the deceased as gods...
It may have taken generations for the deceased person to be frequently thought of and referenced enough by people that knew them directly to elevate them into a god like status later by people who didn't know them.

Take your closest friends for example, have some stories ever been embellished a bit? Not enough to change outcomes but to add a little something over the 50 times you've told it? Maybe he popped a wheelie on a bicycle or motorcycle and rode it for 10ft, 10 years later at a reunion picnic it turned into 3 car lengths, 20 years later and 4 or 5 beers he rode the wheelie out for a half a block in one sneaker!