Mountain Hunters Needed!

Luke0927

How did it go, I wasn't able to make it Gainesville is actually closer I should be there.

Any talk on forrest restoration for improved grouse habitat?

herb mcclure

Mountain hunters needed

Same here Luke, I was unable to be in Dahlonega; but I hope to be at North Hall's Saturday morning meeting.
herb mcclure

Killer Kyle

ill be about 1 mile from the meeting teaching at night school.. Wish I could be there! Please inform us on what is said.

Hey Josh...this meeting was different than I had expected. Not a lot was said, per se. An introduction was given, and some brief welcomes. The Forrest supervisor cave a very general outline of their goals. She stated that in the past, a lot of great ideas have been presented, and a lot of good plans had been made, but it seemed the FS has faltered in following through with such plans historically, and in the management plan, she wants to see a very proactive stance taken in the management of the forest. "The right work, in the right places, and for the right reasons" was the theme of the presentation. After a brief overview, the attendees were released to visit various stations that were manned by FS personnel working within various departments. It was somewhat set up like an expo. The stations around the room showcased the various departments I.e. Unique Habitats, Timber Management, Recreation, fire planning and controlling, ect. Attendees were encouraged to visit the stations, look at the various aspects of information provided, ask questions, and engage the supervisors in conversation. We were encouraged to talk about concerns, things we'd like to see done, things that may need improving. Various methods were given for leaving comments. You could do so on the forum created specifically for this project on tablets located at each station, or you could manually write the comments on the boards provided.
I spoke with the recreation supervisors about the closing of the primitive camping sites along the southern stretch of Chattahoochee River Road on the WMA which were closed this year due to homeless people living there for like eight months throughout this year and completely trashing the campsites. I made it known that I'd like to see them re-opened and volunteered my time to clean them up and collect trash when I am there, and to report excessive or prolonged use of the sites. I spoke to a guy named John in Timber Management about the increased frequency of dying red oaks that I am seeing in my woods, the potential for reforesting the B3F3 chestnuts back cross bred by the ACF. Seems like those gears are just starting to turn. The FS does have a test plot of trees they are tasked to monitor, and they serve as potential seed stock in the near future. If all goes well, he said they might begin propagating the trees within the next five to ten years. I also spoke to an individual in the fire section about their methods, purposes, plans of approach, ect. I did see in the rec Dept that lots and LOTS of maintenance issues have been identified in and around public use areas with frequent travel. Culverts that need to be built over streams, hardened stream crossings, runoff reduction, road and trail widening, ect. In Timber Management, much planning is going into the thinning of certain pines where they are taking over forests that were traditionally hardwood forests. Namely, the white pine and loblolly pine. Jason McGoughey told me he has just completed a weeklong marking of pines to be removed from Lake Russell WMA in the immediate future.
As is stated in the article from the hyperlink above, this is a public input phase, so nothing finite has been produced. The forest manager, Betty said they plan to have a hard management plan for the next 10-20 years finalized "by this time next year".

jbogg

Thanks for the recap Kyle. I am hoping to go next week, or at a minimum completing the comment section online.

Killer Kyle

Thanks J.

For everyone here, if you are planning to attend one of the meetings, I urge you to pre plan and make a list of questions you have, concerns you have, and proposals you have prior to attending the meeting so that you can provide some thoughtful insight and valuable input on the varying issues you see within the NF or its management. I don't usually loaf too much in the foothills region they have designated, but many, MANY of you here do. I guess I piddle most in the region they have designated "high mountains". Anyway, I went in there under prepared, and in doing so, was left scraping and scrambling for questions to ask on the spot. I'm still a mountain novice, and the majority of you in this forum know more about the mountains than I do, and so you most likely have better insight to issues that I do not. If you'd like to express your opinions, concerns, or desires, these meetings facilitate a place to express them. Not often does the government ask our opinions and how they can cater to our personal interests, so when that opportunity arises, and you have something valuable to say, seize the day. Leap on that opportunity!

Last edited:

Cwb19

Thanks for the info Kyle due to my work shed won't be able to attend any of the meetings but will check the online comment section as for the homeless they have moved to tray mt. Same car has been at one campsite since aug

Killer Kyle

Thanks for the info Kyle due to my work shed won't be able to attend any of the meetings but will check the online comment section as for the homeless they have moved to tray mt. Same car has been at one campsite since aug

Yep. Sounds about right. I think July/August was when they closed those campsites on Chattahoochee. I knew of a man and a couple that were staying there. Now I think another homeless man is sleeping every night in his SUV. Before the lower Chattahoochee River Road turns to dirt, there is a bend in the road and a pull off, and there is a man parked there every single night. He has been parked there every night for months. Every time I drive by he is smoking a cigarette and is talking on the phone. Anyway, the lady at the presentation told me that homeless people living on the WMA's has become a significant concern lately.

Gerrik

Red SUV? I've seen one parked at one of the lower campsites several times since bow season opened.

H

Hammer Spank

This year's bow opener was the first time in a long while that I didnt see that long haired "meth skinny" guy and his girlfriend. Hes always shirtless. Guess he just moved one wma over

herb mcclure

Mountain hunters needed

Killer Kyle, and all the rest of you mountain hunters on this thread. I made the meeting at North Hall, Saturday morning. They are open-minded right now.At least I made my point about the future of the hardwoods loosing-out to the white pines; in the not to distance future.

The forest service seems very concerned about the problem too. A nice forest service representative even type my prepared comment talk, which I had written beforehand, into the online-remarks --under general remarks. For all to read.
herb mcclure

Killer Kyle

Red SUV? I've seen one parked at one of the lower campsites several times since bow season opened.

Yup. He is there every single night I believe, and most mornings. I have been running around diffetent places lately, so I haven't been back the last couple of weeks.

Herb, thanks for your attendance! I know a great deal of planning is going into some thinning of white pines and loblolly pines. I met one of your old friends there, northgahunter (incredible guy!!!), and he and I talked about the pines as well. Wouldn't it be cool if a guy could buy a $10.00, or $25.00 permit to hand saw, machete all the white pines he could for say 30 days? We will never see a day like that arrive I'm sure, but it is fun to dream. If that were the case, I'd have arms like Hulk Hogan from all the swinging!!