Bear kill

JWarren

413_zpsk6vjkzz0.jpeg

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Congrats on a nice bear , and enjoyed your story!! And welcome to the forum, a lot of great info and people on here ! And I think I've turkey hunted on your lease as a guest with a guy from Coffee co. Any members from there ?

GA Cracker

One member from Coffee county but we have bear rights only so probably another club.
Thanks for the compliment and man that is a nice buck.

jbogg

This thread started off on the wrong foot. I appreciate you trying to get it back on track. Peter Capstick wrote "Death in Silent Places". Much of the book was about an Indian in South America who would hunt Jaguars with nothing but a few hounds and a spear. Your account of killing a bear with a spear was very similar. To close for me, but cool story.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That is a big, fat bear for sure. What kind of hounds y'all run down there?

ddd-shooter

I must be a terrible judge of bear weights after killed, because there's no way I would have said that bear weighs twice what the man in the pic weighs.
Good kill and good story-aside from the rant. Lol

GA Cracker

Yes that is a fat bear. One member likes mainly walkers and won't have anything else. Most have some combination of plott, bluetick, redtick, and a few crossed hounds and cur dogs here and there. I like them all as long as they are honest and will stick and not ill at the tree. A couple of members have mostly bluetick or redtick in their box. Of course there is the good natured banter back and to on which is best. We have a lot of women and kids hunting and it is all family oriented.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yes that is a fat bear. One member likes mainly walkers and won't have anything else. Most have some combination of plott, bluetick, redtick, and a few crossed hounds and cur dogs here and there. I like them all as long as they are honest and will stick and not ill at the tree. A couple of members have mostly bluetick or redtick in their box. Of course there is the good natured banter back and to on which is best. We have a lot of women and kids hunting and it is all family oriented.

I'm kind of partial to Plotts, as I'm from Haywood Co, NC, where they originated. :) My dad hunted some with Von Plott back in the day. We used to have some good Plott/bluetick cross hounds, and I hunted with one guy who had some good redbone bear dogs. I had one blue English that was probably the best all-around bear hound I ever owned, though. I just never could get into the overgrown beagles. :bounce: Haven't followed a pack of bear hounds in a couple decades, but I used to love it.

The mtn man

Hey, that's a nice bear. I don't believe any of the mtn hunters would disagree with that. I know that in NC bears are typically larger around the coastal plains region than in the mtns. I'm not sure why that is. I don't imagine Ga would be any different, even though the Ga mtns and NC mtns produce some big bruins every year. As for dog hunting, I grew up hunting with dogs, I was kind of partial to mixed breeds. We would come up with some crazy crosses that made good bear dogs, Like crossing a plot with a cur, then crossing a walker with a bird dog, then crossing those offspring, then crossing some bulldog with that. Sometimes even throwing in some pointer. But we always used either plots, walkers, redbones, or blueticks for strike and trail dogs. The other breeds were used to pack behind the hounds to make the bear tree quicker. Speaking of killing the bear with a spear, I knew a guy in the NC mtns that killed many bears with his knife, folks can laugh if they want, but it's true. He was typically a hog hunter, sometimes during bear season his hog dogs would get on a bear and catch it on the ground, catching some pretty big bears, while the dogs had the bear caught he would get in there and cut it open. It's hard for a bear to get you when it's got it's head , feet, and rear end caught in a vice. Congratulations on your big coastal region bear!!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, that's a nice bear. I don't believe any of the mtn hunters would disagree with that. I know that in NC bears are typically larger around the coastal plains region than in the mtns. I'm not sure why that is. I don't imagine Ga would be any different, even though the Ga mtns and NC mtns produce some big bruins every year. As for dog hunting, I grew up hunting with dogs, I was kind of partial to mixed breeds. We would come up with some crazy crosses that made good bear dogs, Like crossing a plot with a cur, then crossing a walker with a bird dog, then crossing those offspring, then crossing some bulldog with that. Sometimes even throwing in some pointer. But we always used either plots, walkers, redbones, or blueticks for strike and trail dogs. The other breeds were used to pack behind the hounds to make the bear tree quicker. Speaking of killing the bear with a spear, I knew a guy in the NC mtns that killed many bears with his knife, folks can laugh if they want, but it's true. He was typically a hog hunter, sometimes during bear season his hog dogs would get on a bear and catch it on the ground, catching some pretty big bears, while the dogs had the bear caught he would get in there and cut it open. It's hard for a bear to get you when it's got it's head , feet, and rear end caught in a vice. Congratulations on your big coastal region bear!!!

One old guy I used to hunt with killed one with a rock. It had one of his favorite dogs snatched up holding and biting it so he couldn't get a shot, so he got mad and waded in and beat it in the head with a big grayback until it died. He said he never really thought about it while he was doing it, but it scared him to death after it was over and he said he stood there and shook like a dog passing a peach pit for ten minutes. :bounce:

The mtn man

One old guy I used to hunt with killed one with a rock. It had one of his favorite dogs snatched up holding and biting it so he couldn't get a shot, so he got mad and waded in and beat it in the head with a big grayback until it died. He said he never really thought about it while he was doing it, but it scared him to death after it was over and he said he stood there and shook like a dog passing a peach pit for ten minutes. :bounce:

Hahaa!!!! I once seen a win. 94 .338 broken over a bears head while it had a dog in its clutches. I'll just say it wasn't me or my rifle, It wasn't my dog either, haha.

GA Cracker

A friend of mine from FL named Cornwell that is now deceased killed a bear with his lockback Old Timer in the 90's. Cornwell pulled his favorite blond Plott dog back from the bear twice before as he said "I outs with my Ole Timer and jugged the bear twice and the second stick must have got the heart cause the bear died pretty quick" grinning from ear to ear. After Cornwell did it another friend had to do it but the bear was stretched by the pack as previously described. It is much more dangerous when a bear is not stretched and I am sure a lot of hunters have done something similar.

H

Hammer Spank

This thread got started off because someoe got their feelings hurt that there werent 1000 congratulations posts in ten minutes and us north ga mtn hunters got attacked. Im sorry I mentioned you in my post. I have no issue with people hunting with hounds. Ive hunted raccoons and lions behind hounds and I have owned three walkers. Still own one actually. In fact, I think nchillbilly's opinion about walkers must be the only lack of knowledge Ive ever seen him display:).

Congratulations on a fine bear. Hound hunting black bears in particular is not something I ever want to participate in, but I fully support your right to do it. Ive hunted em over bait 16 times.

deadend

Disregarding the original poster, I just now saw this thread and wanna say congrats to the hunter. That's a heckuva bear and some good stories. I foremost love hunting the mountains but truth be told I like hunting the swamp almost as good. Keep the stories coming, they're why I'm here.

As one who has hunted Coastal Georgia for about 40%, middle Georgia for 15% and the mountains for 55% of my 55 year hunting life... I prefer the mountains so far... for getting critters back to the truck...

I also miss hearing a pack of hounds running...

I don't doubt the size of bears in the South... nor of those in the Mountains...

I'm keeping up with one mountain boar that will tempt the record books...

It's a long way to hunting season though... however, mama bear will keep him coming around the cameras for a few months...

This is a good bear... congrats...

Oh... as for being clean... I have dragged many bucks out of the South Georgia woods... and don't remember many being dirty afterwards, other than the sand from the road, before putting it in the truck... wet? yes... dirty? not really...

Latest posts