Redfish setup

AllTerrainAngler

I bought the tapered 10ft redfish/bonefish leader and ran 14.9 lb tippet. It has been a PAIN to manage. Dropped the tipper down to 1ft and it was casting much better. What do you run for reds?

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I've used everything from 3 piece knotted diy leaders to straight 18 lb. mono--rod length. I try to get'em in and get'em back out quickly especially during the July and August hotwater spring tides in the grass.

AllTerrainAngler

I've used everything from 3 piece knotted diy leaders to straight 18 lb. mono--rod length. I try to get'em in and get'em back out quickly especially during the July and August hotwater spring tides in the grass.

With the 13' overall setup it was beyond aggravting especially when it was windy/ I shortened it and it was money

GLS

Most of the flies I throw at reds have enough mass and momentum to where there's not a dependence on the leader to turn the fly over and out.

evan m

Most of the flies I throw at reds have enough mass and momentum to where there's not a dependence on the leader to turn the fly over and out.

Gil,

So what your sayings is a 9' piece of straight 18 lb mono is all you need and not to over complicate it?

Uptonongood

That leader you bought is for very clear, shallow water more likely found in south Florida than any water in coastal Georgia. A 9ft straight leader is all you need in Georgia.

AllTerrainAngler

That leader you bought is for very clear, shallow water more likely found in south Florida than any water in coastal Georgia. A 9ft straight leader is all you need in Georgia.

I'll be fine fishing south fl in less than a week so I guess I need to suck it up and figure t out.

GLS

Before you make the trip, practice casting with what you are going to use. if the level leader doesn't work for you, here's another set-up that worked for me:
I used to buy Ande tippet and leader material by the half-mile spool at WalMart for about 7-8 bucks a spool. It wasn't designated as "tippet and leader" material but was their mono line. I believe it was IGFA rated at its breaking strength. 3 feet of 30 or 40 lb for a butt section connected by a double surgeon's knot to 3 feet of 20 lb ending with a surgeon's loop connected to 3 feet of 10-15lb tippet material joined by a loop formed from a surgeons loop tied into the loop formed by a Bimini hitch. The loop has two strands connecting to the 20 lb. section. My "tippet" material was 14 lb. Sufix Tritanium mono with an actual breaking strength of about 20 lbs, but any mono would work fine with our redfish.

Last edited: