Tractor tires

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Ag vs R4? Don't really get into much mud or drive on pavement. Your thoughts??

Lilly001

Agg will give you the best grip for ground engaging implements. It will also give you the best wet (mud) traction.
R4 is more durable on hard surfaces and won't mess up your yard as much.
Do you plow and disc? If so go with agg.
Do you mostly mow and spray or travel on hard surfaces? Then go R4.
My .02$.

tree cutter 08

Yep good advice! If going to be off the pavement and out of a yard 90% of the time, I'd go ag. Traction is noticeably better. I've got the r4 on mine, in yard and road as much as the woods and fields. Been getting around 1500 hours to the front set and should get 5k on the back.

T.P.

Banned
R4 tires are about useless pulling in soft dirt. The ag tires are far better when discing and plowing. IMO.

cjones

I used to be a big proponent for all ag, all the time, but the past few weeks I've been using a MF GC1710 with R4's that has really surprised me in what it can do in working ground, and still be able to use the belly mower without tearing up the yard. It was able to pull at subsoiler 24" deep when it was too wet to be doing it (I couldn't help myself), then I was pushing up brush and whatnot with the FEL and yesterday I was pulling a 50" tiller through the previously ripped ground and not once did I have issues with traction. Only thing that stopped it was hitting a big root with the ripper and causing the hydro drive to give out.

If you've got FWD, you can get a lot of traction out of R4s without having to park it on damp yard work days.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Failed to mention they'd be on a tractor with FEL.
Might plow, drag trees, mow, cross a shallow creek to get the trees and you never know with it

Are there any tests using same tractor to compare pulling power AG vs R4?

Which would dry rot first? Rarely have I seen a worn out tractor tire.

Last edited:

Lilly001

I would go agg unless I had a reason to go R4.
If you are doing a lot of work where the agg tires would tear up lawn grass (they will) or I was going to be on a hard surface regularly I would go R4.
They won't pull as well, it's noticable, but they are way better than turf tires.:flag:

tree cutter 08

What size tractor? The ag tires are narrower than the r4 tires, they will dig until they find traction. The r4s will tend to float more on top. For all around use I'd go with the r4s but if was going to be mainly in the field I'd stay ag.

K80Shooter

I went with r4's on mine and love them. Granted I'm not a farmer so I don't use mine in the fields and wet muddy bottom land. For all around use around home and also some pretty heavy bush mowing for 10+ hours a day on pretty typical northeast Ga land they have been flawless. I get minimal damage to my yard with them and have yet to get into a spot I couldn't get out of. My tractor is 4-wd with a fel by the way.

280bst

Couple weeks ago got that JD package deal with the R4 tires which I questioned they said would be fine. Since then put in couple garden plots moved some dirt with the loader no problem. Plowed my garden where I'm planting my corn end of week about buried my all purpose plow then got really deep with tiller. Just have to keep the RPM'S around 2200 of course I use low gear and 4wd it's hydro it does fine the rear tires have water in them