fillet knife that fits a sawzall

trippcasey

Id rather have a regular knife. Bones dull them, but stones sharpen them pretty quick. Ive stood toe to toe with an electric knife and get more meat and a better filet every time. I use a 7" for trout, reds, and flounder, but break out the 9" for the big daddy sheeps. To each his own though. Whatever works for you, works for you. I actually enjoy using a traditional knife to cut filets. There is a certain amount of skill and art involved in it, and I am far from mastering that. But that is what makes it cool to me.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I guess my point is that I don't cut through bones on big fish. I use the knife to fillet the meat off of the bones. If you're cutting through the bones, yep, a big electrical knife would be the ticket.

mr otter

I worked in a fish house for years and no one cuts rib cages, if it takes more than 4 cuts per side you are wasting time. We cleaned for charter captains every evening for $.60 a lb. Bigger fish are way easier and more profitable. Sounds like your Capt. Needs some filleting lessons. Next time I hit the filet table I'll post a video.

BriarPatch99

Since pmach1jeff asked a question about a blade ... and in post #15 ... I gave him a solution ... but I didn't have a photo ... but I do now ... it will take a little grind work to make it fit a Mini reciprocating saw ... this is a 10 " version ....

These cloth cutter blades are razor sharp and are made of good steel ... a person would have to be extra careful with one of them ... as you would with any really sharp knife .... these are used in reciprocating"knives" used in the garment industry to cut cloth stacked as deep as 8"/10" ... and these cut it like butter ...