Spreading ag lime

Last Minute

Does anyone have any experience spreading AG lime? I need quite a bit of lime for the plots and after checking prices on AG vs pelletized. I can get AG limed delivered and spread for $50/ton and its about $230/ton for the bagged stuff. The truck can only get to a few of my plots so I was thinking maybe I could have them dump the lime and then I could spread it with a drop spreader. I've been hearing some mixed reviews on spreading the AG lime and figured you'd be the guys to ask. Anyone do it themselves?? Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated.

shdw633

Does anyone have any experience spreading AG lime? I need quite a bit of lime for the plots and after checking prices on AG vs pelletized. I can get AG limed delivered and spread for $50/ton and its about $230/ton for the bagged stuff. The truck can only get to a few of my plots so I was thinking maybe I could have them dump the lime and then I could spread it with a drop spreader. I've been hearing some mixed reviews on spreading the AG lime and figured you'd be the guys to ask. Anyone do it themselves?? Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated.

That's what we do, just have them dump it in an area....what a pain and I there is still a big pile of lime sitting where we dumped it from last year. That being said if you have small plots that the truck can't get down into or you don't have access to a lime spreader then it's pretty much the only option.

Last Minute

It does seem like a pain but I don't seem to have to many options as I can only get the truck to about half of my plots. What kind of spreader do you use?? It sounds like the hardest part is getting it to spread.

shdw633

We have several spreaders, a 3 point, a pull behind drop spreader and an ATV broadcast spreader and yet with all those different spreaders I have still had to broadcast some areas by hand.....no fun...no fun at all!!

280bst

If you have a cone spreader 3pt hitch hooks to pto works well maybe you got a bud with a tractor and this kind of spreader hope it works out for ya

Lilly001

A tractor mounted 3 point cone style spreader works well if the lime is DRY.
Otherwise it clumps, clogs, and otherwise gums up the works.
And if you can find one with an agitator it is well worth the extra effort/cost.

280bst

And if you can find one with an agitator it is well worth the extra effort/cost.

That's True mine has a agitator I don't know but I would think most of them do that was good advise

10ptdawg

Where are you located? We just went thru this same ordeal.If you're close to Sandersville, Smith Farm Supply has a spreader you can use if you have tractor to pull it with.Must have hydraulics though. It holds close to 4 tons and is $50/ton.Worked out great for us,spread 15 acres in no time.Good luck

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

The aggravator must be the key because my cone spreader won't spread ag lime worth a flip. I have to go the expensive way and buy bags of pelletized lime.

Lilly001

The aggravator must be the key because my cone spreader won't spread ag lime worth a flip. I have to go the expensive way and buy bags of pelletized lime.

I've found that the lime has to be very dry. Ask me how I know.
And as far as the agitator, I had one without and it was impossible to get it to spread lime of any type except the pellets.
With the agitator it will actually mix the contents as you go with the pto activated. It beets mixing in a bucket.:cheers:

grouper throat

As long as it's dry product you'd be fine. We once did a small 25-30 acre field and it rained halfway through and I swore I'd never do Ag lime again spreading it myself.

Jim Boyd

I bought a well used trough style pull behind and it works great, even with wet lime.

Think it was about $500 or so.

Holds about 1000-1200 lbs or so.

Left wheel runs one agitator and the right wheel the other.

Has a lever to open and close the bottom openings and when you want to dispense, you pull the lever, lock the wheels in and you are in business.

It has spread 60,000 lbs so far in recent years and will be used to spread another 20,000 this year - as long as it remains functional.

Had the lime delivered this week.

We fill it with the FEL and pull it with the SxS.

I would not even attempt it with a cone style spreader.

Good luck!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

nrh0011

See if you can rent a lime buggy from the coop. Gonna need hydraulic hookups and a tractor about 75 hp or so.