GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Deer Hunting

Old 03-27-2017, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
I'm all for some Grad student @ UGA to do a DNA survey to see if there really is Red Wolf DNA in our coyotes, making them bigger than the ones out West (& they are, much bigger). We don't have a Red Wolf, but we have lots of Western coyotes, & likely a museum sample if needed of a Red Wolf. Just a significant difference in W v. SE might serve. Sounds like a good project for somebody wanting a MS or PhD to me.
It's already been done several times, and is scientifically documented. Eastern "coyotes" being wolf/yote hybrids instead of coyotes is not speculation, it is scientific fact. Every study done on coyotes in the east so far (and it's been quite a few of them,) have shown a good bit of wolf DNA in the "yotes." Every single one.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
It`s been proven here on the forum that even professionals can`t tell the difference between coyotes and red wolves.

I guess I will not be discriminating that much then as the lease President has advised to kill what we can.

I do respect wildlife by all means but if there's anything I can do to assist in the survival of a few species over an invasive predator then I will do so.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:01 AM

The Coyote Challenge was referenced in a recent episode of Joe Rogan's podcast. The guest is Dan Flores. If you have time, I would recommend listening in to the first 30 minutes or so, very interesting. You can find it on You Tube (Joe Rogan Experience # 942). I won't provide the link due to some of the language.