Buying some land - Any thoughts?

Joe Brandon

Meriwether County all day. Also look at surrounding areas just north. Luthersville, Grantville, South Newnan area all that is good land. Put you a mobile home on 50 acres and you'll fit right in and shoot nice deer.

T.P.

Banned
There's flat land North of Atlanta, unless you are looking for land so flat water don't know which way to run.

tcarlson777

There's flat land North of Atlanta, unless you are looking for land so flat water don't know which way to run.
Which county? It doesn't have to be super flat, just level enough to throw a mobile home on it without too much dirt work.

T.P.

Banned
Which county? It doesn't have to be super flat, just level enough to throw a mobile home on it without too much dirt work.

Most every county until you get to mountain counties. Most land up here is rolling. Not flat, but definitely not what I'd call hilly either.

spencer12

I'm not familiar with the Atlanta area as I'm in south Ga.

But, you could give this a thought. If you can find pastureland in a good county you should check that out. When my grandfather passed away my mother inherited part of his farm, which was pastureland for cattle.

After the cows were sold we were left with empty clean pastures. This was a clean slate that allowed me to sculpt the land to my likes. I planted thousands of trees (Oak, pine, hardwoods) and now it is heaven.

A thought to consider.

across the river

What are you wanting? If it is trophy deer, what people call a big buck in Georgia is way different from what you would call a big buck where you are from. There are plenty of counties in Georgia where people consider a deer 115" or so big, so if you are looking to trophy hunt, that will narrow it down quite a bit in my opinion. Some of the best bowhunting in the state is right there in Fulton county, but land can be pretty difficult to come by there. How many acres are you looking to buy? What price range (general range) are you looking for? Do you legitimately want to have chance at a good deer, or are you just looking for somewhere to hunt. Once you figure out exactly what you are looking for you can start to narrow it down.

tcarlson777

What are you wanting? If it is trophy deer, what people call a big buck in Georgia is way different from what you would call a big buck where you are from. There are plenty of counties in Georgia where people consider a deer 115" or so big, so if you are looking to trophy hunt, that will narrow it down quite a bit in my opinion. Some of the best bowhunting in the state is right there in Fulton county, but land can be pretty difficult to come by there. How many acres are you looking to buy? What price range (general range) are you looking for? Do you legitimately want to have chance at a good deer, or are you just looking for somewhere to hunt. Once you figure out exactly what you are looking for you can start to narrow it down.

Those are all great questions. Me and the wife finally sat down and talked it over. Unfortunately, she thinks buying land is a bad idea. So, for now, I am back to hunting public land or trying to get permission from a land owner.

Thanks to all of you who provided tips and thoughts! It was a fun learning experience.

Hunter922

Those are all great questions. Me and the wife finally sat down and talked it over. Unfortunately, she thinks buying land is a bad idea.

So, a month into the search is when you consulted with the wife..:D facepalm:

mattuga

Banned
So, a month into the search is when you consulted with the wife..:D facepalm:

If the money is there then you need better negotiating tactics! Haha, kidding I hope! I love looking at land for sale online and have discussed with the wife to the point of agreement on the subject to buy one day (5-10 years). The when and how is TBD but the fact of whether we invest in land one day isn't in question. I do research now and it hurts seeing a great piece of land I would want to buy but learning the market is important. Plenty of pieces of land are always for sale at a high price and will hard sell the good but ignore the bad. When the funds are ready to be able to jump on the right piece of land I would suggest to be be willing to wait 1-2 years for the right property unless you have an open mind on what you want. Good luck and there are plenty of clubs to join before you go and buy land here in GA.

This is an unrelated comment to the OP but the amount of money spent on vehicles by non-rich people blows my mind. I have friends who are 35 that could own 50 acres if they drove a $15k vehicle thru their 20s instead of replacing every 2-3 years. I also buy Japanese so I know a lot about regular maintenance but not much about repair.

Last edited:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Go to the southern zone so you can hunt over bait

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
If the money is there then you need better negotiating tactics! Haha, kidding I hope! I love looking at land for sale online and have discussed with the wife to the point of agreement on the subject to buy one day (5-10 years). The when and how is TBD but the fact of whether we invest in land one day isn't in question. I do research now and it hurts seeing a great piece of land I would want to buy but learning the market is important. Plenty of pieces of land are always for sale at a high price and will hard sell the good but ignore the bad. When the funds are ready to be able to jump on the right piece of land I would suggest to be be willing to wait 1-2 years for the right property unless you have an open mind on what you want. Good luck and there are plenty of clubs to join before you go and buy land here in GA.

This is an unrelated comment to the OP but the amount of money spent on vehicles by non-rich people blows my mind. I have friends who are 35 that could own 50 acres if they drove a $15k vehicle thru their 20s instead of replacing every 2-3 years. I also buy Japanese so I know a lot about regular maintenance but not much about repair.

But they can't impress people if they drove an old truck.

Latest posts