Best Flats fishing in South East

willc2412

Where are the best places to go for fishing flats along the coast of GA, Fl, AL, MS, or LA. Would want to rent a house with some sort of dock on the bay. Will be bringing my flats boat down and would want to be able to dock it at the house. I have been to St George Island a few times, but just read where there was a fire on the Island. Haven't looked much into it, but also trying to find somewhere with fewer tourist now. Thanks

doomtrpr_z71

Whats your budget? I know of a couple houses in steinhatchee with docks. The fishing should be awesome there soon. It was good Monday when I was down there.

Limitless

If only a weekend, Steinhatchee, St Marks, etc. for Reds and Trout. Even PCB (rent a place on the beach and put the boat in a transient slip at Treasure Island marina.

But, if you can do a week's vacation, Pine Island Sound west of Ft Myers rental in Bokeelia or St James -- Snook, Reds, Trout, Tarpon. Or further south to Ten Thousand Islands out of Goodland on the north end or Everglades City or Chokoloskee in the middle. For really hard core flats - the Keys! Islamorada gives you access to FL Bay and a 30 minute run to Flamingo and East Cape Sable, plus in good weather you can run out to the reef on the Atlantic side for Yellowtail, Muttons, and more.

kevbo3333

Venice LA, if you consider that south east. Going to be hard pressed to find a better inshore fishery anywhere in the world.

rshunter

If you just want to catch fish and are not worried about a beach experience. Venice, LA is hands down the best spot on the gulf coast IMHO

flatsmaster

We have a great fishery in Mosquito Lagoon and slay some reds but if reds are ur game then La is KING !!!! But it's fishing and eating and not much else ... on ur quick trip you'll have more time to just hit somewhere in the panhandle!!! Good luck

alphachief

Pretty hard to beat Pine Island Sound for inshore fishing diversity.

pottydoc

Hoping to get on some reds, but doesn't really matter. Mainly looking for just a get a way from town one weekend to hopefully hook up on some fish.
As already posted, if you are looking to catch reds, eat, and sleep, Venice La. is where you want to go. If you don't want to go,that far, keep the price reasonable, but still not looking for much than fishing, Steinhatchee would be my suggestion. You would likely be able to hook up.with fellow GON member there, too. There's somebody there pretty much every weekend in spring.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I can vouch for the area around Steinhatchee, Dad lives in Horseshoe Beach (about 10 miles south by water) alot of good Trout and Reds to be caught there.

teethdoc

I've fished Steinhatchee all my life and it's one of my favorite places on the planet, but for sheer volume of reds, can't beat LA. You can go to Hopedale or Delacroix and not have to go qute as far as Venice if you plan to just fish the marsh and near shore rigs. For blue water, head to Venice.

Anyone else fishing the tournament this weekend benefitting Children's Medical Network in Steinhatchee?

wellwood

Venice LA. My favorite place to catch reds and trout. If you have a shallow boat you can't go wrong fishing in the wagon wheel. Plus you can keep 5 reds and 25 trout per man. Delacriox LA is good to. Check out Sweetwater Marina. Great fishing over there too.

state159

I can vouch for the area around Steinhatchee, Dad lives in Horseshoe Beach (about 10 miles south by water) alot of good Trout and Reds to be caught there.

x2. Simple and easy places to fish. Soak a live shrimp about 2-3 feet below a popping cork and go to catching. Almost anywhere on these flats can produce good catches.

95g atl

subscribed.....
Looking to go back to gulf (2nd time w/my boat).

pottydoc

Only problem with northwest FL is you can only keep 1 redfish and 5 trout.
Per person. If you got three guys in the boat, three reds and 15 trout isn't shabby. Is it LA? Nope, but it's a dang site closer to home, and way less expensive. Pus, if I'm heading for Venice, I ain't chasing no red fish around. :)