Added new pics-Tutorial how to skull mount a whitetail

cpowel10

Ill send this back up to the top in case someone needs it.

I killed this deer 11/7
DEF2C8A0-B38D-47EB-9B42-8FD05B3B99A6-236-0000000BEFEE7D34.jpg

A9756FAF-9F59-438F-9D13-54BCE05473F2-236-0000000BE0A4C951.jpg

49D821E9-C99F-4340-ACDC-AD422924A8E2-236-0000000BD5598011.jpg

8182DB48-9A6A-4FDD-B4B3-ADD07CD079BD-236-0000000BC57E03B9.jpg

Limb Walker

Works good

Well after taking a buck, I decided to try this and was pleased. I actually did a better job than the last one I paid money to have done by a "taxidermist". Thanks for the info.

TC Pics of deer 2 days before taking

Post shooting

Completed Euro

Attachments

• CDY_0077 (1024 x 768).jpg
    CDY_0077 (1024 x 768).jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 4,551
  • CDY_0080 (1024 x 768).jpg
    CDY_0080 (1024 x 768).jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 4,513
  • crop 10.JPG
    crop 10.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 4,492
  • IMAG0756 (1077 x 644).jpg
    IMAG0756 (1077 x 644).jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 4,451
  • IMAG0757 (644 x 1077).jpg
    IMAG0757 (644 x 1077).jpg
    48 KB · Views: 4,484

cpowel10

Well after taking a buck, I decided to try this and was pleased. I actually did a better job than the last one I paid money to have done by a "taxidermist". Thanks for the info.

TC Pics of deer 2 days before taking

Post shooting

Completed Euro

Awesome! Glad to see this thread helping folks out

SowGreen

Great job on the tutorial. Thanks for taking the time and posting.

MAPSTRE

How do you go about puting the skull on o piece of wood? Do you drill a hole in the back of the skull?

cpowel10

How do you go about puting the skull on o piece of wood? Do you drill a hole in the back of the skull?

Yes. You can drill a hole into the brain cavity and put a toggle bolt through it.

I don't put mine on a plaque, I just hammer a nail into a stud at an angle and drill a hole in the skull. Ill take a picture when I get home and upload it.

cpowel10

Yes. You can drill a hole into the brain cavity and put a toggle bolt through it.

I don't put mine on a plaque, I just hammer a nail into a stud at an angle and drill a hole in the skull. Ill take a picture when I get home and upload it.

This is where I drill them
1E2D9C8C-AD5E-44C9-9590-749C6BF75771-1554-000001409EAC1AF1.jpg

Ohoopee Tusker

Perhaps an article in the GON. :clap: Good job.

thebreeze

Banned
great write up, my taxidermist does mine for 75.00 each, plaque included, i believe i'll let him keep doin' em. I just ain't got the time.

BornToHuntAndFish

You want the water to be a slow rolling boil. Barely boiling, be careful because a turkey fryer can get 400 degrees if you don't watch it. Ocassionally add water as it evaporates I usually add water ever 30 minutes.

Let it boil about 3 hrs. Pull it out and pick as much meat off as possible, it's a strange smell but not to bad.

He should be getting fairly clean now. Take your screwdriver and stir the brain up through the hole in the back of the skull (gross I know). Insert a water house and rise it out. A lot of brain will pour out of the hole. It will look like cottage cheese.

Stick him back in the boil for another 15 minutes or so. Pull him back out and rise off with a water hose.

Pick all the meat and fat off the skull that's left. It should almost fall off now. Spray him down with a water hose, again be careful with the nose and sinuses on the side of the skull.

Wrap the bucks bases with aluminum foil as tight ad you can, covering the bottom 3" or so. Sit him in the pot and pour the peroxide until its about halfway up the skull. Boil the peroxide while taking a ladle and pouring the hot peroxide on the top of the skill an between his antlers. Do this for about 45 minutes.

When he's white enough for you liking pull him out. You may need to touch up the bases if a little peroxide got on them, use a wood stain that matches the color.

Great details. Thanks for continuing to add more updates. That last good photo of the hole you drilled underneath the skull was very helpful.:clap:

Thanks for saying to start heating it at 1st to barely boiling since I was concerned with me boiling it too high because I was worried too much heat may weaken the skull bones or make them brittle.

Bill Winke of Midwest Whitetail in one of his free recent video episodes does it very similar, too, as he does a euro mount of his daughters buck. He 1st boils the skull for 1.5 hours & removes all he can from the skull. Then he boils it for 1.0 hours & again removes all he can from the skull. Finally a 3rd time he boils it 30-40 minutes & removes all he can from the skull. Total time like yours is about the same.

For any brain matter left inside the skull, Winke gets a wired coat hanger & bends the end into a hook to go into the access hole on the back of the skull to remove anything remaining on the inside.

In this week's Bill Winke 12-4-2012 episode, he shows how he found an 8.5 year old 205-inch whitetail in Iowa he called "Bubba" that died from EHD near water. He makes a euro mount of it & says it was too long without removing the deer's head hide & meat so the skull bone cannot be made bright white but is still stained because the body juices or fatty body tissue soaked into the skull bone too much after waiting so long before it could be boiled & cleaned.

Bubba before boiling cleaning:
20121114083317034.jpg

Bubba after boiling cleaning:
resizer.ashx

In case anyone is interested in watching Winke make his daughter's euro skull mount, see the details in the video web link below:

http://www.midwestwhitetail.com/gallery/117/media/4401/mw127-coming-full-circle.html

Coming Full Circle

10/1/2012

"Welcome to Midwest Whitetail! This episode is near and dear to me as I take you along on the journey of hunting with my daughter, Jordan, over the years. From shooting her first deer at the age of 7 to knocking down her biggest buck ever just last week, her skills as a young deer hunter have come full circle. I couldn't be more proud! Enjoy the hunt for Jordan's big 10!"

"This episode is near and dear to me as I take you along on the journey of hunting with my daughter, Jordan, over the years. From shooting her first deer at the age of 7 to knocking down her biggest buck ever just last week, her skills as a young deer hunter have come full circle. I couldn't be more proud! Enjoy the hunt for Jordan's big 10! Also, stay tuned after the hunt is over to see how I turned Jordan's buck into a trophy fit for the living room wall by creating a european mount."

resizer.ashx

Last edited: