Flats Grouper

fairweather

I was stalking reds and trout in St. Joe Bay yesterday, and much to my surprise I caught this guy in three feet of water over grass.

FlatsGrouper.jpg

He's about 12 inches and went back in the water to grow up. I thought it was a total fluke, but today I caught another one in three feet of water. With a little Googling, I learned that it's not all that uncommon, although in ten years of fishing this bay, I've never caught one until now.

Have any of you guys ever caught a keeper size on the flats?

Michael F Sights

Not on the flats, but in Marathon we caught 7 keepers & many,many 1/4 inch short gags in 10' of water off a sunken pontoon boat.

Spineyman

I was stalking reds and trout in St. Joe Bay yesterday, and much to my surprise I caught this guy in three feet of water over grass.

FlatsGrouper.jpg

He's about 12 inches and went back in the water to grow up. I thought it was a total fluke, but today I caught another one in three feet of water. With a little Googling, I learned that it's not all that uncommon, although in ten years of fishing this bay, I've never caught one until now.

Have any of you guys ever caught a keeper size on the flats?

That is where they often go as juveniles to the bays and estuaries until they get big enough to go offshore. very common on both east and west coast.