Question about different steel for fire grate

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Hello y'all!
I read on here a lot and I know y'all have knowledge on different kinds of metal.
So we burn wood for our homes heat. We have a wood stove insert in the houses fireplace.
The store bought grates keep diminishing at the back. I go through one a year.
At least once a year I rebuild the back of of one using the front of an older one.
So if I wanted to build my own from scratch, would there be a metal that would hold up so that one grate would last years???? If so what is that metal???
I don't know but I'm assuming store bought fire grates are probably cheap mild or recycled steel?
Is there any steel I should avoid because of maybe toxic fumes??:huh:

:cheers:Thanks for any ideas and knowledge y'all can share!!!!!!

Big7

The Oracle
404 Stainless.

Any decent size fab or machine shop will
have some drops so you don't have to buy whole lengths.
You can get any structural shape. Round and square bars
are very common.

Not super expensive either.
Once made it's a done deal.

Unless an atomic bomb hit's it, it will out last
your great grand children.

That's my trade. Take this info to the bank.

sea trout

Thanks Big7!!!
Will my old Hobart stick welder with regular rods weld the 404 stainless like it's supposed too??
Man thanks for the advice!

Big7

The Oracle
Instead of editing the previous post I'll
just restate here.

I have a lot of materials on my mind at any given time.

The 404 is an excellent option as far as heat.
Fairly expensive though.

304 is the best way IMO. And it's the one local shops will
have on hand.

Pretty hard to machine but welding/fabrication
is not a problem.

Sorry for my mistake. Either will work as
long as you can get drops and not have to buy lengths.

They will also weld to each other just fine.
Just encase you have to mix and match.

Starting with a "4" series will be magnetic.

Starting with "3" series will not. Easy way to check.

Possum

Banned
Don’t put an elevated grate in a wood stove or heater. Fire will burn longer. A lot of people use them in old heaters but it is unnecessary. In new wood stoves you will void the warranty if you use a grate.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Thanks Big7!!!
Will my old Hobart stick welder with regular rods weld the 404 stainless like it's supposed too??
Man thanks for the advice!

it will if you use SS rods.... we typically use 316 1/8 rods

sea trout

Possum it's an old insert stove we've been runnin for 7 or 8 years. we bought it used no warranty

sea trout

Thanks Big7 I'll see if I can find some peices at a welding shop somewhere!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Thanks Big7 I'll see if I can find some peices at a welding shop somewhere!

if you ever get up toward Demorest, I can give you a name and number. About all they do is either 304 or 316

sea trout

if you ever get up toward Demorest, I can give you a name and number. About all they do is either 304 or 316

Thanks NE GA Pappy!
What do the numbers mean or stand for anyway? The 304 or 316 or 404?
Isn't there some steel out there too that has an H in front of the number?
I work with prefab horseshoes or bar stock from farrier supply on a daily bases. I think it's all mild/recycled steel....I think?....does that steel have a number too?
I can tell these commercial fire place grates are the same material that my bar stock is. Or it moves and welds like it anyways. But it's not holding up to a half a winter of burning wood.

Thanks a lot y'all!:cheers:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
304 = lower grade non magnetic stainless, used for most industrial applications not requiring extreme corrosion resistance

316 = high nickel content stainless, non magnetic, used in application where extreme corrosion resistance is required.

404 = magnetic grade of stainless, similar properties to 304

most common stainless steels in industry is 304 or 316

there are other grades, mostly used in fasteners, like bolts and nuts called 18-8. 316 is also used for fasteners.

the 300 grades of stainless machine better than the 400 series, with the 304 being easier to machine than the higher nickel content 316

Artfuldodger

I know you aren't suppose to use a grate in a stove not designed to use a grate.
What about the other way around? Would it hurt to not use a grate in a stove designed with a grate?

My Dad has an open fireplace and he doesn't use any kind of grate or dogs. He used one dog for the longest time and finally quit using it as well.

Possum

Banned
Possum it's an old insert stove we've been runnin for 7 or 8 years. we bought it used no warranty

I understand but what benefit does elevating the fire off the floor give? The reason new stoves don’t come with them is because keeping the fire on the floor or bed of coals will increase the burn time. And makes cleaning easier and you’ll never have to replace a grate again if you don’t use one.