.300 AAC Blackout for Deer Hunting?

My son and I have both killed deer with my blackout this year. His at around 60yds mine at around 80. Mine never took another step, his ran 50yds.

Klondike

I don't but would with mine under 100 yards. With the 110gr or 125 gr supersonics it should expand and penetrate fine.

Hunting with a 45-70 now so I have gone up caliber.

MuXi115

You shouldn't be using the 225gr subsonic for hunting whitetail. The lighter weight 115-125gr ammunition should be used. Poor ammo selection was your problem.

devin25gun

Correct no use of the subsonic loads in the blackout as they are only supposed to be used suppressed and transfer all energy or tumble on impact at the lower velocities. Once supersonice like the 110 or 115 they are more on par with the 30-30 good to about 150 yards . Personally 100 yards or less is all I would try for with a well placed shot.

mhammock

I have one that I am deer hunting with this year. I am using 125 accu-tips...shot a nice Size buck opening weekend 80 yards dropped him in his tracks, also shot a nice hog back in july with 125's he dropped in his tracks also. I think the 300 is fine for deer as long as you know the limitations of the round your using. I personally wouldnt hunt with 220 grain they were designed for subsonic applications.

flopper

Love when somebody dogs on a cartridge... its ballistics are very similar to 7.62x39 and 30-30 win. Both have taken thousands of deer.. Shot placement, Shot placement, Shot placement....
Lose the subs... BTW

Last edited:

rsilvers

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gu...year-barnes-110-grain-vor-tx-300-aac-blackout

300BLK-300-small-500x336.jpg

throwdown

Love when somebody dogs on a cartridge... its ballistics are very similar to 7.62x39 and 30-30 win. Both have taken thousands of deer.. Shot placement, Shot placement, Shot placement....
Lose the subs... BTW

I would like to know, "who dogged on the round"? I've seen nothing but information passed in this thread, not crap talk. And you need to look at the ballistics of the 300, it is nowhere near similar to a 30-30, or a 7.62X39. Was this round built with hunting in mind? NO. It was designed to be ran sub-sonic for entry teams. Does that mean that it will not kill a deer? Of course it doesn't, but it was not it's intended purpose.

swalker1517

can you talk about bullet placement? I can't believe that caliber wouldn't kill a deer, isn't a .300 blackout a 30 caliber, basically a .308? I'm just curious why it didn't provide a clean kill. I have to admit my ignorance on this one, no experience with that setup at all. I also have to admit I'm not sold on ballistic tips, as they CAN have a tendancy to come apart and not do as much internal damage as their name suggests

This bullet is nowhere near a 308. It's smaller than a 7.62 x 39. It does have killing power, however I wouldn't put the bullet through any heavy bone. It's always bout shot placement. But just because a 22lr will kill a deer with a well placed shot doesn't make it an ideal deer caliber. I wouldn't take it just because of lack of power past 50 or so yards.

throwdown

It carries more energy than a lot of rounds at those ranges, but again was not designed as a penetration round. The round was designed to deplete it's energy very fast upon entering soft tissue.

rsilvers

It carries more energy than a lot of rounds at those ranges, but again was not designed as a penetration round. The round was designed to deplete it's energy very fast upon entering soft tissue.

The 110 grain bullet pictured penetrated 24 inches of 10% ballistic gel at 300 yards from a 16 inch barrel and 20 inches at 300 yards from a 9 inch barrel - all while expanded to at least 50 caliber.

rsilvers

This bullet is nowhere near a 308. It's smaller than a 7.62 x 39. It does have killing power, however I wouldn't put the bullet through any heavy bone. It's always bout shot placement. But just because a 22lr will kill a deer with a well placed shot doesn't make it an ideal deer caliber. I wouldn't take it just because of lack of power past 50 or so yards.

At 300 yards it expands to more than 50 caliber and penetrates 20 inches of gel, even from a 9 inch barrel. That is plenty capable of making a 50 caliber hole all of the way through at deer at 300 yards.

In fact, it has the same amount of energy at 300 yards as a 357 Magnum at the muzzle.

throwdown

I'm running a black rain upper with a rock 9" 5R barrel. You would need 100 mils of travel to shoot at 300 yards! Don't get me wrong, I love my 300. She is quietttttttttttt with my can, and a blast to shoot.

swalker1517

At 300 yards it expands to more than 50 caliber and penetrates 20 inches of gel, even from a 9 inch barrel. That is plenty capable of making a 50 caliber hole all of the way through at deer at 300 yards.

In fact, it has the same amount of energy at 300 yards as a 357 Magnum at the muzzle.

I would really have to see those test. I'm not knocking this round just saying I'm not taking it in the woods. At 300 yards a 30-30 has roughly 650ft/lbs of energy. This round is supposedly comparable with a 30-30, is 650 ft/lbs enough to take down a deer? Maybe, maybe not. A 30-30 has about the same fps at the muzzle but over 600ft/lbs more than the 300ACC at the muzzle. I believe the standard is 1000ft/lbs to kill a deer efficiently, that would limit your range to about 25yards or so with this round. But to each his own, but not for this guy

Last edited:

flopper

i was wrong. it does not have the kill power what so ever. i shot this 14pt 210lb buck at 25 yards and had to shoot him twice to finish him. in the same hunt i shot 180+/- 10pt at 50 yards and never found him. best and worst hunt of my life. i wont ever take that to the deer stand with me again. i am also shooting 225gr ballistic tips.

Thats dogging a cartridge... subs were bad choice obviously.....