Needing Large Gun Safe Moved

jonboyb

Needing a safe moved that's just too big for me and the buddies to handle. We did the small one....but this one is 72" tall by 40" wide and weighs over 1000 lbs. Having issues getting movers to call me back. Any advice or recommendations? It's moving from bottom floor concrete slab to bottom floor concrete slab.....no stairs or obstacles, no grass or yard to cover. 3" door threshold only bump in the move. Thanks.

jonboyb

Honestly, I have no desire to even attempt it.....was hoping someone could recommend somebody to hire. Actual weight is closer to 1500 lbs too:(

bamaboy

Do you have double doors to allow a Bob Cat to come in and pick it up? Do you access for a flat bed tow truck to get close to it?

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Call a local gun safe dealer. They can probably tell you who to call.

oops1

Buzzard Expert
Mines not near that big but plywood and cardboard made for an easy room to room move. Just slide it.

jonboyb

It's got to go through a standard 36" door opening....you could back a trailer of small liftgate truck to the door....but I think any flatbed tow truck would be too long (especially when bed is lowered). I'm still waiting on a call back from a few other safe movers recommended by my local gun store.....but based on my current quotes, it may be sold with the house:)

Once it's on the carpet it's cake....it's the house to house that's the problem.

JpEater

I bet its not as heavy as you think it is. Any moving company should be able to move it. Or you can rent a appliance hand truck from a storage company and find a few buddies to move it.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Needing a safe moved that's just too big for me and the buddies to handle. We did the small one....but this one is 72" tall by 40" wide and weighs over 1000 lbs. Having issues getting movers to call me back. Any advice or recommendations? It's moving from bottom floor concrete slab to bottom floor concrete slab.....no stairs or obstacles, no grass or yard to cover. 3" door threshold only bump in the move. Thanks.

Call Mike Cash Office Products in Monroe, Ga. 770-267-7865

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I know someone who used a piano mover company once.

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
You can go online and have a pallet jack delivered to your door cheaper than you can hire a mover, less than $300. We move very large jewelry store safes quite easily with them. They will also fit through a 3' door.

T-N-T

I have taken the doors off of 3 different brands of safes.... Usually just open door and lift off. Maybe sometimes unbolt something. This will help weight Drastically.

RickyB

Call Davids Gun room, I believe he has people that will move your safe.

When I looked into purchasing a safe from them the salesman said his crew would come back and move it to my new home when I did move from my current home. "But it is a separate charge" He also mentioned they have come to the rescue to folks like you that just don't have the tools to move it properly.

Or, watch this and give it another try. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IikKTLNs5XU

7Mag Hunter

Try a locksmith......My BIL has a Garage next to a Locksmith shop
and they buy/refurb old Govt safes and move those things around
all the time....Most are steel exterior with concrete fill......Lots
heavier than a gun safe...

prydawg

get some round metal rods about 5 of them and get it rolling and just move the rods from the back to the front until you get it where it needs to be. We moved a safe at work that weighed over a ton this way at work.

jonboyb

Just brought it home. Had rollers ready but I had layed 2'x4' sheets of 3/4" high density MDF on the carpet and once we set it down it slides like on ice. Almost 1500 lbs movable by one person.

irishredneck

Moved a 64+8 gun safe by myself no problem.
I had a harbor freight $12 dolly that holds 1100lb. I put my back up against the safe and leaned against it hard, I was able to lift it up enough to kick the dolly under it. I wiggled it right up onto the dolly and it was a breeze from there, I wheeled it to several locations in the house to see where it looked best.

Chestnut

Moving gun safe

Don't waste your time with the group at davids gun room
sorry group with the blue trailer
broke my door knob off moving safe in to house and through they were going to tear the sheetrock off the walls
could;nt tell them anything
and they made no offer to replace door knob , act like it they were going to loose all their money
when we move i will move the safe this time with
plywood and flat pallet with wheels
good luck
chestnut