Gates for hunting property

jbarron

BANNED
In an attempt to stop trespassers from driving their vehicles through my hunting property, I need to put up two gates. I would appreciate advice on the type of gates and locks that have worked well for you.

swamp hunter

Drive over to Lake Lanier and look at them Gates the Government put up. That's what you need.
Anything else is just a hundred dollar gate from the Feed store....

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
This will work just as long as the bad guys can't get around it.

gt40

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 9.32.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 9.32.59 PM.png
    843.2 KB · Views: 1,426

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Or maybe one of these.

gt40

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 9.42.07 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 9.42.07 PM.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,481
  • Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 9.42.38 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 9.42.38 PM.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,501

jbarron

BANNED
While these are truly awesome gates, I’m looking for more economical options.

Go to a feed / farm supply store and buy metal cattle gates. After you put them up-run a heavy cable thru it from one post to the other and use master combination locks. That way everyone has a key. If it is timber company property-install two 13.5 foot gates that join in the middle to a center post-that will generally give the timber company enough room to maneuver their equipment without tearing out your gates. Set the gate or gates in from the road about 25 or 30 feet so a truck can pull in to the gate without sitting in the road while opening the gate.

Offroadtek

Try to find a lock housing that cutters can't get to, but still open enough to spray the wasp nest that ARE going to get built on your lock.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Two 4" 6' long steel posts concreted in the ground and filled with concrete. 2 grade 8 eyebolts through the top of the steel pipes. Heavy grade chain and 2 Master locks.

If they snatch the pipes out of the ground you stick the pipes back in the hole, tamp the dirt and truck on.

Spending money on a fancy gate is just a waste of money. If they want in, they are coming in. Period.

specialk

Two 4" 6' long steel posts concreted in the ground and filled with concrete. 2 grade 8 eyebolts through the top of the steel pipes. Heavy grade chain and 2 Master locks.

If they snatch the pipes out of the ground you stick the pipes back in the hole, tamp the dirt and truck on.

Spending money on a fancy gate is just a waste of money. If they want in, they are coming in. Period.

gates only keep honest people out.....I agree w/ elfiii......I would use a piece of steel guide wire w/ a 4-5 foot section of white pvc pipe for visibility.....they will steal the chain......

280bst

Do not use the kind of Gates they got on our Southern border the Gates they used at the Bundy ranch worked well for a while

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
gates only keep honest people out.....I agree w/ elfiii......I would use a piece of steel guide wire w/ a 4-5 foot section of white pvc pipe for visibility.....they will steal the chain......

Steel guide wire is a good alternative. So far I've only had the posts pulled out of the ground once and they couldn't cut the Master lock hasps so they left the chain. That's when I switched to the 4" pipes and filled them with concrete. They tried again but all they managed to do was bend the shank of the grade 8 bolts a little bit. They couldn't budge the pipes. They are still plumb. They gave up and left and haven't come back. There's easier pickin's down the road a ways, plus I'm hoping they broke the recovery hook on their truck trying to tear mine down.:bounce:

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
A well installed steel cable is more trouble than most gates. Some of the timber companies are no longer allowing them though.

mossyhorn

Just get the round steel cattle gates from feed store and cut them in half so instead of a 5ft high gate you will have two 2.5 ft high gates which can be used separately for small road ways are together for the wider road way(logging trucks)

IIICrkRepr

Make sure you tie something to the wire to make it highly visible. A single strand of wire with no markings got the previous lease holder of my current lease in big trouble and a very large law suit down here in FL. A teenager riding at dusk almost decapitated himself while riding a 4 wheeler into the wire, ended up with a broken leg, concussion, etc. Even though he was trespassing and had an arrest record, some attorney found a way to strong arm the insurance company(s) into getting the kid paid.

rem 300

The scrap metal market caused them to steal three gates off of my property... One farm gate and two heavy duty steel pipe gates all of them were 16' long, Gotta love low life scum!!! Either we have to deal with poachers or thieves!! Which are the same in my book

Jim Baker

Staff member
Steel guide wire is a good alternative. So far I've only had the posts pulled out of the ground once and they couldn't cut the Master lock hasps so they left the chain. That's when I switched to the 4" pipes and filled them with concrete. They tried again but all they managed to do was bend the shank of the grade 8 bolts a little bit. They couldn't budge the pipes. They are still plumb. They gave up and left and haven't come back. There's easier pickin's down the road a ways, plus I'm hoping they broke the recovery hook on their truck trying to tear mine down.:bounce:

Put the chain or cable through 2 or 3 inch PVC. Cut the PVC into 5" or so links and paint orange.

jbarron

BANNED
The scrap metal market caused them to steal three gates off of my property... One farm gate and two heavy duty steel pipe gates all of them were 16' long, Gotta love low life scum!!! Either we have to deal with poachers or thieves!! Which are the same in my book

I would never have thought about scrap metal thieves. :banginghe

Forest Grump

I would not use the cable, even with PVC: one of my companies used to require 4" PVC on any cable gate (to protect the loggers). A trespassing kid tried to drive a dirt bike between the post & the PVC pipe; cable decapitated him. Cost them 80K to settle with the family...after that, they paid for gates on all their properties, over a million acres.

Buy a gate @ TSC; the blue "promo" gates are very affordable. Make it a minimum of 14 feet wide, 16 is better; or use 2, no center post. If they have atv's, no gate can stop them, they will drive around any obstacle: but if you have an obvious gate & posted signs, you can at least charge them with trespassing & have it stick.