Deep v or multi species boats

K80

Why does there appear to be little interest in the deep v or multi species boats? Seems like they are mostly a northern boat.

Seems like most of the boats in the south are bass boats or cc boats?

From what I'm seeing it seems like a multi species Lund or etc ous a great all around boat, can bass fish, crappie, strippers, catfish, and most important pull double duty as a good family boat. What am I missing?

Bass boats are to one dimensional, most fish and ski boats I find in the south are geared more towards skiing and not really fishing friendly, most cc' s have limited seating for a day of family fun.

The Lund 189 tyee gl, 1900 tyee; ranger reata, tracker Targa all seem like good all purpose boats for a family man that wants to target many different species. Granted prices are sky high but so are bass boats and smooth riding cc's.

Last edited:

j_seph

I love those V boats you are talking about but I have CC due to the amount of room they have.

The mtn man

I looked at the tracker Targa a couple weeks ago, I'm torn between that and cc

K80

I love those V boats you are talking about but I have CC due to the amount of room they have.

It appears to me the multi species have a lot more room than the cc's. You have a decent bow on most, a large clock pit area, and small rear deck at least on the 18 to 20 footers. I'm afraid anything smaller won't be as good on the family front. With a wife, 3 girls, and a friend or two I think a 20 footer would start getting small.

K80

I looked at the tracker Targa a couple weeks ago, I'm torn between that and cc

I like the Targa 19 combo. When finances get right, I'll price one out as well as a Lund tyee in glass and aluminum. I figure as much as they cost it'll be a lifetime boat. Be nice if there was some used ones around here. All I can find are 16' crappie rigs that won't be family friendly.

Torn on glass vs metal.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think you can beat them for an all-around fishing boat. A bass boat would be useless to me personally, if you gave me a brand new Ranger I'd pull it straight to somewhere to trade it for a fishing boat.

The mtn man

I don't think you can beat them for an all-around fishing boat. A bass boat would be useless to me personally, if you gave me a brand new Ranger I'd pull it straight to somewhere to trade it for a fishing boat.

Me too.

Riplukelee

I have a 1999 Sea Hunt Escape 175 with 2006 Johnson 115 2-stroke... walk thru ... I fish pretty much anywhere inshore and get up to about 15 miles offshore comfortably ... the only drawback that I see on my boat and probably the Lund Pro V or Tyee is the location of the steering. Being that far forward is a rougher ride in chop than most cc's which have the console a little closer to the rear

Lund’s are great boats, just under represented down South. Great fishing platforms just as you described. Perfect for all lake & river fishing but I’d stay outta the shallower tributaries where shoal crossings are necessary.

Grampa1114

Well that's all true...deep vee's and multi species boats are terrific. That is until you decide to go tidal and have to sit somewhere for 2 hours until you get enough water to leave. I have a small fiberglass Triton and while in Charleston...tried to Redfish with it...Like bringing a Knife to a Gunfight. Those flats boats and the flat bottom Jons are mighty handy when the tide goes out. That said...there's no way I'm giving up that vee bottom Bassboat. All that stability at 45-50 mph is well worth staying a little deeper.

Tarpfisher

no one boat will fit everyone's needs...

I'm just glad we all have the different options offered. I'll take one of each please.:fine:

bilgerat

Senior
G3 makes a nice 20' multi species alum boat similar to a lund., check them out

across the river

They aren't as popular here as up north because the fishing is different. The guys fishing up there are typically fishing for species in deep water in deep lakes where the waves can be good sized. Here the majority of the lakes a shallow relative to what you are fishing up north. You don't see many down riggers here either because people can usually get to 30 feet or whatever they are fishing with lead core or other means. Up there you may be trolling in 100 plus foot of water. The fishing is different so the boats are different. That doesn't mean a bass
Fisherman up
North won't have a bass boat though.

The mtn man

They aren't as popular here as up north because the fishing is different. The guys fishing up there are typically fishing for species in deep water in deep lakes where the waves can be good sized. Here the majority of the lakes a shallow relative to what you are fishing up north. You don't see many down riggers here either because people can usually get to 30 feet or whatever they are fishing with lead core or other means. Up there you may be trolling in 100 plus foot of water. The fishing is different so the boats are different. That doesn't mean a bass
Fisherman up
North won't have a bass boat though.

It all depends on where your fishing, and your style of fishing, there are lakes 2 hours North of Atlanta that are 400ft deep. And they can get rough on the open water. It's hard to troll for walleye in hiwassee lake with a bassboat. There are bass fisherman, who only use bass boats, and I don't blame them, then there are all around fishermen, who like to have trolling capabilities and plenty of room for up to 4-5 people, bass boats don't fit in that category.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Ya`ll got some almighty deep water up yonder. I`ve fished all over South central and Southwest Georgia and the deepest place I`ve ever found was an underwater spring on Lake Seminole that is 60 feet deep. Most of the water I fish in Seminole is less than 12 feet deep. Even in the Gulf the deepest water I`ve been in was maybe 125 feet deep.

Both of my boats with motors are semi V. They suit my type of fishing just fine.

K80

Ya`ll got some almighty deep water up yonder. I`ve fished all over South central and Southwest Georgia and the deepest place I`ve ever found was an underwater spring on Lake Seminole that is 60 feet deep. Most of the water I fish in Seminole is less than 12 feet deep. Even in the Gulf the deepest water I`ve been in was maybe 125 feet deep.

Both of my boats with motors are semi V. They suit my type of fishing just fine.

I'd love to have either of your boats if they were just for me and my pursuits.

Last edited: