You Gotta have a System

olcaptain

You Gotta have a System

I have learned many things over the years from my brother, Dan LaFavor. As we have gotten older he has stressed the importance of having a system to accomplish things easier and more efficiently. Some might call it…”Work smarter, not harder.” We simply call it a “System.”

This week I put a System into practice that quite frankly, seemed to work pretty well. Phase one involved going up Crooked Creek with Max, a Cane Pole and a less than $3 cup of worms. We caught enough small Bream in just a short period of time the other day to use as cut bait today at the Crooked Creek Bridge.

0wdtoSo.jpg

Cg1qTgX.jpg

HX3cmqn.jpg

Wwdc8WS.jpg

After investing a few bucks at the local Dollar General for two Lunchables and a few snacks earlier this morning, Max and I proceeded to the bridge. It was cool with a steady breeze as we passed through Blair’s Strait and entered in to our side of Lake Sinclair……..

HKhjr7P.jpg

eYx0lFm.jpg

a2OOEar.jpg

Within 45 minutes of leaving our place we were anchored and baited up near the bridge.

eqs3t6X.jpg

We waited a bit but soon things went haywire! The variable wind kept moving the boat. I kept getting hung up and I got a bit frustrated. I often look to Maximus Relaximus when I get stressed and as always, he was totally under control.

apsU4YH.jpg

I had to do something because we weren’t catching and obviously things needed to change soon if my “System” was going to prove valid. I looked for a spot reasonably close to the bridge that might hold the canoe in place and then we moved and anchored once again.

Almost immediately we began to catch fish on our magic cut bait that we had caught up the Creek!

uKZK4us.jpg

s9HWoVn.jpg

YmUXK3W.jpg

BzBbE0a.jpg

In a little over an hour we boated 5 Blue Cats and one Flathead and our System proved to be a winner!

vmY9qrU.jpg

As we headed back I thanked my partner for reminding me about the importance of staying calm under pressure. He also shared that we often must also be patient when putting a System into place.

pu2laAQ.jpg

Our System may not work every time but for today, the plan sure had a happy ending.

4IJS5lM.jpg

ryork

As always an awesome post. Nice catch and I'm sure that will eat real well! I don't think ole Maximus knows too much about stress......

martinc

Yep Captn, your fishing buddy has it right. One of my old ridin buddies use to tell me on a regular basis," don't sweat the petty stuff & don't pet the sweaty stuff. Fishing is my therapy, why stress.

BTW, nice catch.

Martin

Cmp1

BANNED
Nice catches and great pictures as usual Cap'n,,,, your using Penn rods and reels, right? No shrimp this time? Wow, great catches,,,,

Beagler

Awesome post, I think you got your system down pat.

warronl

I might have to get some catfishing lessons from you Sir. I'm in quite the slump!

Greene728

Maximus Relaximus has got to be the coolest dog ever! Great post as usual!

Big7

The Oracle
I got your PM and looked up this thread.

Looks like you and Max had yet another wonderful
day on the creek. I knew you would. :D

Thanks again for the invite.
Sorry I couldn't make it this time. :banginghe

NoOne

Gone but not forgotten.
Great post. I often get frustrated also with hang ups and such. Good to see you made it through the storm and your anchor held you in place.

It's even greater that we have an anchor of the soul to hold us secure at all times.

Scout'nStripers

Good eats right there olcaptain. Very nice fishing trip and write-up.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Doesn't get much better than that, even with the frustrating wind. Just got back from morel hunting with my little fat Max look-alike. We didn't find any mushrooms, but Arlo had a ball running around the woods for a couple hours. He's sacked out on the couch in Max Mode now. :)

basstrkr

System

Great post as always. Your post has a calming affect on me so I wanted to share a "Stress Reducing System" that I have: When I start to go to my mom's or to my land to do something I grab everything that I think I will need , jump in the truck, and drive down a couple of hundred yards to the first stop sign on my road. Then I turn around and go back and get the rest of the stuff I will need. Because this a system / planned operating procedure it does no make me mad that forgot things. I'm just following the operating system.