Would appreciatte some help, arrowhead?

Thanks Bilgerat

Would you say this was the final product or has it been chipped or destroyed over the years. Also, is this considered an arrow head or a spear point. Trying to learn, I have read that arrowheads are actually quite small

Forest Grump

It’s a point, but not an arrowhead; likely late stage preform, or a Woodland era knife.

Arrowheads are tiny, like the size of your fingernail, in most cases...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looks to me like a late-stage preform-a point that is mostly finished but has mostly percussion work and is missing the final pressure-flaking edgework and stemwork. The material looks like it was possibly heat-treated, so I'd guess it's a mid Archaic-early Woodland point.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Not an expert at all but I'm gonna say crude woodland period knife that is finished. The basal "fluting" and "stacks" left in production may have been intentional to assist in hafting onto a bone, antler, or wood handle. I also agree that it looks heat treated. Don't take my word for any of it.

Thanks everyone, if knife, would the lower portion be attached to some kind of wood to form a handle. Or would they just grab it in hand and use it