Northern Zone baiting still alive

lampern

Upon further investigation it looks like the only way to expand baiting within the law and the governor's eo is to put the state back into two deer season zones for firearms hunting according to 27-3-15 (c) or declare the whole state the southern zone deer firearms season.

Gbr5pb

Bingo

Upon further investigation it looks like the only way to expand baiting within the law and the governor's eo is to put the state back into two deer season zones for firearms hunting according to 27-3-15 (c) or declare the whole state the southern zone deer firearms season.

Bingo !

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
There is no southern zone vs northern zone anymore.

That went away in 2015 when the state went to a single statewide deer season.

The baiting law has not been updated or changed to reflect that. The baiting law language dates from 2011 when there was a southern zone and northern zone.

That is the "wild card" in all this hunters, the DNR, the General Assembly and the governor are missing.

Unless the DNR/WRD has had the power to change deer baiting laws all along???

There is as it relates to baiting. When we went to a statewide deer season language delineating the zone line as it relates to baiting was added to 391-4-2-.24 to be consistent with state law.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
There is as it relates to baiting. When we went to a statewide deer season language delineating the zone line as it relates to baiting was added to 391-4-2-.24 to be consistent with state law.

Mr Killmaster what would u like to see happen with this baiting debate !

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Mr Killmaster what would u like to see happen with this baiting debate !

I have no official opinion on the matter. I do find it disappointing that this seems to be the most important conservation issue in Georgia.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I was raised not to whine, cry and complain. I’ve raised my kids the same way. I just find it really sad that some of you grown men seem to struggle so much with how unfair life is.

Not whining or crying, I mostly hunt in southern zone and think baiting would be very beneficial to all game in northern zone ....I know it’s already legal to bait but if you are allowed to hunt over it there would be a lot more people feeding, and I’m tired of all these grown men crying and whining about not seeing any deer!!!!

Possum

Banned
Not whining or crying, I mostly hunt in southern zone and think baiting would be very beneficial to all game in northern zone ....I know it’s already legal to bait but if you are allowed to hunt over it there would be a lot more people feeding, and I’m tired of all these grown men crying and whining about not seeing any deer!!!!

Legalizing baiting deer won’t stop the whining unfortunately. Redneck Ritchie and the gang will move on to the next most unfair rule they don’t like. Stir up a bunch of drama and rant about it until they get their way.

red neck richie

Legalizing baiting deer won’t stop the whining unfortunately. Redneck Ritchie and the gang will move on to the next most unfair rule they don’t like. Stir up a bunch of drama and rant about it until they get their way.

You said it yourself. The next unfair rule. Like WE should accept unfair rules. Not really into drama but if its not fair for all Georgia citizens I have no problem with expressing it. #samelawsforallgeorgians #stayingalive

Possum

Banned
I wonder if DNR actually wants to give up the annual revenue from hunting deer over bait tickets? It’s probably a big chunk of money they’d be loosing if it became legal.

red neck richie

I wonder if DNR actually wants to give up the annual revenue from hunting deer over bait tickets? It’s probably a big chunk of money they’d be loosing if it became legal.

You may be onto something with that one. I was hoping the increase in license fees would make up the difference.

lampern

(1) For the purpose of hunting deer over bait pursuant to O.C.G.A. 27-3-9, the State is divided into a Northern and a Southern Zone. The Northern Zone consists of Troup, Meriwether, Upson, Crawford, Bibb, Jones, Baldwin, Hancock, Glascock, Warren, McDuffie and Richmond counties and all counties north of these. The Southern Zone consists of Harris, Talbot, Taylor, Peach, Houston, Twiggs, Wilkinson, Washington, Jefferson and Burke counties and all counties south of these.

So all along the DNR has had the authority to expand the "southern zone" in regards to baiting and now the governor is going to demand you do it.

So all these people blaming the legislature (Mr Knight) for not expanding hunting right over bait could have had the DNR/WRD do it all along. Huh.

Last edited:

JackSprat

They collect the fine but how is it distributed?

Fine money goes into the county general fund, minus some fees each court gets to assess.

Doesn't matter if it's speeding, litter, too much wacky weed, or hunting over bait, it all goes to build sidewalks, because it's "for the children" i.e. the county general fund.

Hunting/Fishing license money goes into the state general fund, DNR has no dedicated source of revenue, unless you want to include the federal taxes on hunting, shooting and fishing gear, which has to be spent on those activities.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
I do find it disappointing that this seems to be the most important conservation issue in Georgia.

You and me both!

Speaking of that Charlie, what would be "you're" most important conservation issue facing the state of Georgia? You see it all and I would like to know what's are some of our biggest concerns. A lot of mine are fishing related like stream habitat and reintroduction of native species..