Shellcrackers at West Point

roll tide

Anybody tried it and if so, got any tips?

Dixiesimpleman32

GONetwork Member
I looked around for them couple times never found them but I'm sure they are there some where. I never caught one out if there but ain't fished a whole bunch. I have caught a lot red breast out of there. A whole bunch of them but no real big ones like in the rivers.

WPrich

With the crazy weather we've had this year they may not have moved shallow to the beds yet. We used to do well with them at West point with the full moon around mother's day. My mom caught a few end of March when we were there on bottom with pinkworms i believe, only 3 of them were nice size(around 10 inches) the others were small.

ryork

I've never targeted them at WP, but have caught some good ones fishing for bass or crappie, and have cast netted some sho'nuff good ones getting shad. Would think the full moons in April and May would be prime time, but as WPrich said it might be off during the upcoming full moon with the crazy weather. I would look in the backs of pockets off the main lake and fish right off the bottom in less than 5ft of water for the next couple months. Would assume if they are around, you would know it pretty quick and if not time to keep moving.

fishingchamp

I dont fish Westpoint often but I do fish tonna a ton. But from experience I can tell you to look for sand and cast deep this time of year with this weather. Fish on the bottom!